• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some drive analysis

Firios

Hello, I posted another thread about... 8 months ago or so (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12778), but since my throwing form has changed quite a bit since then, I decided this was worth a new thread.

My drives are peaking at around 300 feet. Watching the video, I am still clearly having some nose up issues (the beginning of the 2nd video was REALLY bad). My distance is roughly 260/280/300 (putter/midrange/driver), but with my Roc I can sometimes crank it out just as far as my normal drives go.

The biggest thing I am seeing is that I don't really have well defined acceleration at the hit, even though I consciously feel like I am trying to. Should I slowdown my initial pull? Also, am I getting my weight forward efficiently? I can't really tell.

Any help is appreciated. Most of these drives were just short of 300, the weakest one probably about 250.

Vid #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hvRAeiOPto

Vid #2 (the first 3 or 4 throws are REALLY bad, but since this sometimes happens while I am playing, it would be nice to see exactly what is causing these slip-ups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQevOPnLYA

Thanks for the help, if I can get to 350 before May, I will be extremely pleased.

I see a lot of inconsistency from one throw to the next. I would guess you're over-thinking each throw instead of getting into a rhythm and feeling the throw. That's an epic fail error for anyone. If you go into a field and simply drill, that's where you do your thinking (at least initially to plan the drill) and trying to hone different aspects of the throwing motion. But when you need to perform a throw consistently on camera for analysis or on the course for birdie, don't think, throw dammit.

There's a lot of good things happening in your good throws. Your good throw timing and acceleration seem to be getting in-sync. Lots of arm speed, but maybe not leveraged as much as you could during the hit? Just try to find the feeling of those good throws and get into that vibe. Then go from there.

That being said, it isn't always easy to tell what your elbow bend and pull line look like from that angle. The baggy sweatshirt doesn't help either. When filming, take off that baggy shtuff so the disc doesn't disappear into a crevass and then reappear again. It isn't a long time to film, you won't freeze too much.

That's true. I will try that, but it has definitely been cold here lately. I tried just to throw without thinking, but it's tough. Some of it might have been that I was throwing my friend's discs, since I didn't have mine with me. I'll try to take another vid tomorrow.

the main thing i see is you aren't consistently getting your weight forward. Try kicking your left leg really hard backwards at the end of your throw, kinda like pushing a skateboard. Everything else looks okay when you are "good".

EDIT: How are you gripping the disc? Grip and pull line height affect your nose angle. you might want to examine your grip first and then adjust your pull line a bit lower and see what happens. also weight forward helps get the nose down too.

I am using a stacked power grip. I have talked with some local pros, and nothing is wrong with it. The only thing I am changing and altering at this point is thumb placement. Trying to find the best trade of accuracy for power.

where are you putting your thumb? If your grip is fine then try a lower pull line. Drop your right shoulder when you start to pull through and skateboard kick like hell with your left leg. Work on those things (starting with the skateboard kick then the shoulder then the pull line) and report back. A lot of getting nose down is about getting your center of mass down.

Well, I have been told that thumb closer to the edge is more power, but thumb near the center gives more control. The pro that has been giving me a lesson or two told me that, but he has more success with it farther off the edge. I used to put it close to the edge, but have been experimenting moving it closer to the center.

the best place i've found to put it is with the point where the inner lip meets the flight plight to the inside of the the thumb ("thumb neutral"). http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml the preceding link is a very good article that talks about thumb placement and everything. for me at least bring the thumb towards the center of the disc causes nose up. the funny thing about grip is that no two hands are alike (not even your own pair) and that it sometimes takes a weird grip that is counter intuitive in order to get things going right. but don't change your grip to something that doesn't feel strong. i don't really advise changing your grip until you get the rest of the body mechanics ironed out. I would say try thumb neutral.

check my post here http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15838&p=233520#p233520

the exact same bodyposition can be seen in your clip.

Weight forward more means heart over the right knee back to front not necessarily left to right. Your run up relative to the angle of the disc changes constantly. And to false combos often. A flat throw needs the plant at the line you're running on. Hyzer to the right of that line and anny left of the line.

Just wanted to compliment your progress. I just watched your last video and this one and it looks like you've been working hard!

I know this is an old video but I definitely wanted to point this out to make sure I am right here.

review_01.png

This seems like it would be rough on the knee and make it harder to clear the hips?

That's major injury waiting to happen. Sooner rather than later. Had any pains? You may get rid of them by pivoting and not being flat footed. Ball of the foot, heel or rolling pivot are mandatory for health and longevity of throwing career.

Latest posts