• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Need to Complete Bag

Add a Frost Claymore and another SSS wizard (for throwing) and you're done for now. Once you get the hang of those discs then you will start to learn what the next steps to take are.

Have a Diamond and a Wizard SSS in my bag. What else do I need to complete it.

Ooooh, are you going to get some answers to wade through! :popcorn:

Seriously, it'll depend on the courses you play the most, your skill level, type of plastics you like (durability, hardness/softness, etc.).

I'd suggest a midrange. Choices are myriad, but some good ones are: Mako3, Compass, a VCobra, a Buzzz (or Buzzz SS), a Claymore or Evidence, Panther, etc.

You might look into a starter pack from either Innova or Dynamic Discs. You'll get another putter to try (that might complement your current one), a midrange, and a driver to complement your Diamond. And if you get the Innova Champion plastic starter pack, a Panther is likely to be one of the discs. Can't ever go wrong with a Panther. :thmbup:

A stable midrange like a Truth or Mako3. Maybe a slightly unstable one like a Evidence and that should cover about everything until your form develops.

It's funny because my dad bags both of those discs. His bag looks like this:

Starlite Valk
Jade
Diamond

Roc3
Claymore
Gstar Mako

Yeti Aviar
SSS Wizard

It's funny because my dad bags both of those discs. His bag looks like this:

Starlite Valk
Jade
Diamond

Roc3
Claymore
Gstar Mako

Yeti Aviar
SSS Wizard

I'm a geezer and I've got to say it: That's a good geezer bag!

Add a Frost Claymore and another SSS wizard (for throwing) and you're done for now. Once you get the hang of those discs then you will start to learn what the next steps to take are.

I bag a Claymore and love it. I have a Verdict for overstable mid and use it quite a bit as well. My favorite disc is an Opto River though, slower than your Diamond, faster than the Claymore. I drive with it most of the time. Tons of glide and easy to throw.

Definitely a mid and a throwing putter. Maybe even just another putter for throwing and skip the mid, for now.

I'd look at a Buzzz, Roc, Mako3, or Atlas for the mid. Grab a second Wizard for throwing and seriously learn to throw it! Wizards off of the tee are a great tool to have in the bag.

Grab a second Wizard for throwing and seriously learn to throw it! Wizards off of the tee are a great tool to have in the bag.

This exactly. One Wiz for putts and one Wiz for throwing. Preferably two that are twins or at least sisters. Nearly the same weight, flex, plastic, etc.

I'd look at a Buzzz, Roc, Mako3, or Atlas for the mid. Grab a second Wizard for throwing and seriously learn to throw it! Wizards off of the tee are a great tool to have in the bag.

Agree on all counts. This was why I suggested a starter pack... that Wizard might become the OP's throwing putter and the starter pack putter the one for in-the-circle putting.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that but you make a good point. The Wiz he has now as a thrower and something like an Aviar P&A or a Retro Mercy for actual inside the circle putts would be a great place to start.

Since the OP already has a Diamond, why not stick with Trilogy molds? I wish this set wasnt marketed to seniors by name but this setup has 3 great discs for $25. A Retro Mercy, Claymore and Fury. The Fury obviously overlaps the Diamond but will be somewhat heavier and may produce more consistent flights.

https://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Latitude-64-Senior-Retro-Disc-Golf-Starter-Set-p/6803.htm

Since I'm a Westside guy at heart, I'll just suggest the following 3 discs in plastics that will hold up for a while to add to the set:

172g Swan 2 in BT Medium for putting.
168-170g Warship in VIP for mid and all around workhorse off the tee.
166-170g Stag in TP to compliment the Diamond for overstable distance shots and hyzers off the tee.

The Stag would be something you have to grow into a bit after you learn to throw the Wizard and Warship and Diamond but once you get there you will be all set and playing some disc golf. Consider adding a Tursas for understable mid shots too.

That's my official 2 cents worth.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that but you make a good point. The Wiz he has now as a thrower and something like an Aviar P&A or a Retro Mercy for actual inside the circle putts would be a great place to start.

Since the OP already has a Diamond, why not stick with Trilogy molds? I wish this set wasnt marketed to seniors by name but this setup has 3 great discs for $25. A Retro Mercy, Claymore and Fury. The Fury obviously overlaps the Diamond but will be somewhat heavier and may produce more consistent flights.

I think Dynamic Discs makes a starter pack that has a Judge, a midrange (not sure which one, maybe the Truth), and a driver that varies by set. The Freedom in in some of the sets, but not all of them. And the plastic was Prime plastic.

Anyhoo, the idea is out there...

If he likes how Wizards feel for putting he should stick with it and get another Wizard (maybe firmer plastic like S, SS) for driving and start cycling Wizards, build a stack for putting practice, etc. That's the really big benefit of Wizardry, the consistency and simplicity of cycling them. If the goal is getting better b/c you're a noob, I'd wait until much later to start dabbling and juggling putter molds.

The Wizard is a versatile and great putter so that's a great start. The Diamond is more of a niche filling mold. For most players it's going to be a roller, finesse driver. I don't know if OP is like most players or if he's arm speed challenged where the Diamond for which the Diamond will be more workable. Hard to say what else is needed to complete the bag unless I know that much.

So at the very least I'd get a stable midrange (I'd go Comet since it's versatile and a Wizard can double as a short HSS mid) and something to fight wind with, slow overstable driver of choice (I like Banshees personally but Resistors are great too). With a really OS driver you can fight headwinds, throw long overhands, throw some sidearm, some forehand rollers, skips, etc. The trick is getting one slow enough that it's not a total meathook backhand, then you've got a real Swiss army knife of a disc.

I'd stick with the wizard if you like them. Get on to throw like others have said, HOWEVER... Try other putters I've tried probably 6-8 putter molds. A few times I thought this is the one and found another mold that felt even better in the hand or felt just as good but flew better for me. Whatever you choose get at least 2 to bag, and maybe a couple more for putting practice.

MID: Shark, Buzzz, Roc, Truth all great disc mids. I've owned all 3 the Roc and Buzzz in multiple plastics. I found I like the feel of the Roc's more and gave away the buzzz. I'm fighting to take the Truths out the bag, because they overlap the rocs, but they fly so far and feel so good. So if you try and roc and feel that you need a little more distance the Truth is for you. There are many other molds but I know all these to be money for most people.

A champ Makko3 or Discmainia MD are great if you want something with no fade at the end. So you'll likely need to / want to bag a buzzz, roc, or mid with fad (side note: That is why people beat in Roc etc so they get the straight flight with the same mold)

Fairway.. leopard, Leopard3, Diamond, River, Teebird ,Escape

If you bag a Truth it flits with fair way range, so keep that in mind.

All good choices, Depending on your arm speed.

Low: 150-165 Leopard, turning or hyzer flip to straight for great distance or roller. Diamond 152-158 great beginner turning, hyzer flip to straight, hyzer flip to turn over disc. The river straight with tons of glide.

Mid speed: Leopard3 same as leo above with a nice straight shot with power, and a little more distance. River again tons of glide and distance, Escape same as the River with even more distance, really flies like a driver, but with more control. Teebird for distance with a reliable solid fade.

Strong arm: any above with 165-175 weight. You'll likely need to bag a few of them. I bag the Leo 3 for nice straight shots, the Teebird for the guaranteed fade back and forehand. I also bag a diamond that can be thrown to turn or hyzer flex shots over 300 feet.

Drivers: Tern, Daedalus, Mystere, Surge SS, PD, Avenger SS etc

Low arm speed: Champ tern 165-168 turning distance driver, hyzer flip to straight when beat and strength grows. Daedalus for max distance, requires a lot of room to fly its pattern. Avenger SS for straight shots, Mystere for long glidey straight shots, surge SS for the guaranteed left fade RHBH .

Mid: same as above only difference is the avenger SS might start to turn right. The others will go farther. Maybe add a light P-PD , or get an escape for long straights.

Strong arm: Tern for turns, hyzer flip to straight, turn over shot, roller... Same for the Daedalus just more distance and wider on a the turns, Surge SS for the left fade, S-PD for the straight shots, maybe a Destroyer.. The current run are super beefy and may require a solid beat in even for a strong arm.

These are just my suggestions there are tons of great disc out there. I suggest you try as many as you can, what works for others won't work for you.... Then one day they just might.. Good Luck on your search.

Look at the course or courses you play and see what types of shots you need to throw and want to start learning. I agree with lots of mid range and fairway drivers. My most versatile disc when I was starting up my bag and still in there is a leopard and all around mid range Buzzz

If you're relatively new (under 6 months playing), then maybe you might need a mid of some sort. Over 6 months may require you to carry some sort of distance driver, utility discs and maybe a throwing putter. Typically, you'll probably want discs that go left, right, straight to go with short, medium and long distances. So look at the previous suggestions and if you're lucky enough to live near a pro shop, ask any of the employees. They may able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, talk to other players on the courses that you play and ask for input.

Latest posts