• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Needing Form Help..

caleb1989

I have been playing hard for the last 2 years trying to better my form and increase distance with little results, I played over 100 rounds last year. My max distance currently sits at around 300', average is around 290, but I know my x step form needs major improvement, I can throw from a standstill 270' (I measured). I know that I should be getting a lot more than 20' out of an x step.
Here is a video of me throwing, only getting it out around 280', by the way I realize that i am a bigger guy and would help if I lost a few but I've always been fairly athletic so I know that I can improve.

https://youtu.be/8OAPo-6agRo

I'm sure the regulars will have better advice for you...but two things stood out to me. Looks like your last step is too far in front of you, which is making it difficult for you to get your weight shift correct. Also, when you're pulling through you've got a little low to high action that is probably making your discs fly nose up and stall out earlier than they otherwise would.

To add my support to the help you have been given....No there is absolutely no hope and you are a worthless human being. Learn to throw rollers or take up knitting.
Good grief.

To be serious, although I am just about where you are in skill and experience, a friend gave me a small tweet that has helped: slight downward wrist bend to get the nose down. Find the videos here that deal with that. Also, see how in the last picture above his hand is on the outside of the disk? You will see the same thing in every slo-mo video.
Good luck.

Last edited:
When you say there's not much to salvage should I scrap my entire throw? Is there anything that I am doing right that I should keep doing? And where is the best place to start? Thanks
Keep throwing RH. There used be a thread called maxing out at 300' on DGR, and it said there about 7 things you need fix at that point. Start with the 3 videos above.

Update

Finally was able to go out to the field today and try some different things, primarily I worked on leading with the hips so I stay more balanced, rotating the hips more so that I can get a better reach back and lastly a slight modification to my grip where I keep my wrist is cocked down to help keep disc nose down. Whether it was all of these things or just one I was noticing about 30' to up to 40' of extra distance still got a ways to go but was nice to see some improvement.

That's considerable, sounds like you improved a couple things out of the 7 or so. Typically expect to gain 10-20' per thing, some may take longer to fix, some things may improve efficiency while not improving distance right away.

Yeah I was pretty pleased, the biggest difference I felt was in the run up in the video I clearly kept all may weight on my back leg never getting that weight shift, In leading with hips i stay more balanced I could feel the difference right away on a couple of the longer throws I was able to hyper flip the disc which is something I never really could do usually I would have to throw the disc on a slight anhyzer to get that s turn and I was able to get pin high on a basket I've never reached before so it was a good day.