• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Needing Help

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
Hello!

This will be my third year playing disc golf. I can honestly say I haven't gotten any better. My disc golf buddies and I go a lot so its a little frustrating. I know there are plenty of things I need to work on, however, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the following:

-It's in my nature to want to throw the disc super hard to get it to go far. Often I start getting tendonitis or sore elbow at the end of rounds/days after playing. I've seen videos of people explaining this, but for me if I try to be "smoother" I feel like I'm not putting enough "ump" in it and still don't get it to go very far. (no I'm not throwing 13 speed discs, usually putter - 9)

-I struggle to get nose down flights. I know my grip is solid, I've watched many tutorials on it. But most of my throws end up with a hard fade left or some fade left (right hand back hand thrower). Its very difficult for me to have an accurate upshot

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you are trying to strong arm the disc and aren't getting all your weight/balance forward to the front leg before you swing. This sequence/balance error will wreak havoc on nose angle and swing efficiency/smash factor. It's probably going to feel ridiculously late/no power swinging after your weight transfers forward, just trust it and it should be effortless and smooth. Your rear foot should be weightless/airborne when you start swinging the disc. The rear leg doesn't or shouldn't power the swing or body turn, the front leg does it by bracing and clearing out of the way to let the arm swing past it.

IMO the best thing for you to do beside video recording and analyzing it, is get a heavy hammer and swing it effortlessly and smooth and toss it. Keep your body feeling centered but your arm swing long, and your body weight/body turn being used against the hammer's weight to swing it or toss it, and let gravity do it's thing with your arm basically just controlling the swing angles.

No no no.. That's ALL wrong.

It's not like throwing a hammer. It's like building a hardwood floor. Just watch this video and then adjust everything that applies to building floors and focus it towards the appropriate sport!

No no no.. That's ALL wrong.

It's not like throwing a hammer. It's like building a hardwood floor. Just watch this video and then adjust everything that applies to building floors and focus it towards the appropriate sport!
Wait, no.. come over to my course and practice FH and BH swinging a machete through multiflora rose bushes. :)

Switch to Swedish style driving. It will fix both your issues.
Chiropractor recomended for the lowest amount of stress on the joints across the different styles.

I can't speak with a whole lot of expertise (none at all as a matter of fact). I've been playing for some time but I still consider myself beginner at worst and a veteran noob at best.

During my initial year playing the game, I ran into a similar issue with my body weight being completely off to the point where I would launch the said disc into the air like I was going to throw a big hyzer...except that it's usually anhyzer and starts falling backward before landing. I basically rectified this by forcing myself to throw from my shoulder to my upper stomach. If I started high on my windup I would always come down on my follow-through and the disc would always keep the right angle and go where I wanted it.

That's not expert advice in the least but it surely helped me when I was losing my balance.

What's Swedish style driving?

Here is it explained.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36716&highlight=Swedish+style

Here was my question on how to build the Swedish form back in 2014.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103780&highlight=Swedish+style

Both links are needed to get the full picture.

It really is the form that puts the least stress on the joints. I have had major reconstructive shoulder surgry(complete AC seperation) and it causes no pain on my shoulder.

Bonus link
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25114&highlight=swedish+style

Last edited:
This will be my third year playing disc golf. I can honestly say I haven't gotten any better.

* Then it's time to do some serious field work. Take a few putters out to a football field. Start from the end zone and place a marker at 50ft. Throw to the marker, then back to the end zone. Repeat a few times, add 25 ft, repeat, etc, etc. The goal is to learn how to throw smooth, level, straight. A putter typically will hold the line so you'll be able to see if you're throwing with too much hyzer, anny, etc, etc. Ultimately the goal should be to throw your putters fairly straight, level out to 250+. You will need to throw a bit higher to get distances past that. But for the most part try to keep your discs fairly low, 6-10ft off the ground during the drills. Learning to throw a putter straight, far, etc, will change your overall understanding of the game forever imop.

* Brace yourself for those that 100% disagree with my post. :)

Mr. Miyagi, is that you?
giphy.gif