• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

picture.php

Oooh! I think I know what I will be doing this weekend! I will keep you posted.

China Peak opens this weekend too

Oooh! I think I know what I will be doing this weekend! I will keep you posted.

China Peak is also opening this Saturday, June 28. Just like Baldy, usually you only pay for the lift ($15). OPENING DAY IS FREE!

It's the longest course in the California, I think: 12,962 feet (nearly 2.5 miles). 27 holes, par 94.

If you want to play China Peak, you should arrive by 11 am. The course takes 5-6 hours and they close the mountain for safety reasons by 5 pm, even if you're not done yet.

Attachments

• CPscorecardmap.jpg
    CPscorecardmap.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 19
I had a chance to play the new disc golf course on Mt. Baldy Friday afternoon. It is a very rugged course on a very steep and rocky piece of land. This is definitely extreme Disc Golf. While most of the holes are not that long, it is not a course for those looking for a walk in the park. This course is for physically fit players looking for an extreme challenge.

The course plays up and back from the first tee. First Tee is located right by the ski shop. They use 10 baskets to create 18 different holes. Even though the baskets are shared, they play quite differently up than down. The tees are currently marked with white paint and some rock cairns. The baskets are homemade DISCatchers.

It costs five dollars to park in the ski lift parking lot. (It might be free with an Adventure Pass.) The cost to ride the lift was $25.00 round trip. You do not have to ride the lift if you want to walk up to the first tee. Next time I go, I will likely bring my mountain bike, take the ski lift up and ride the bike back down. The mountain biking also looks extreme.

And by extreme, I mean potentially dangerous. On the disc golf course there are a lot of steep slopes to navigate on purpose. It would be very easy to throw on or over slopes where it would be nearly impossible to reach your disc, let alone take a stance behind it. The entire course consists of rocky fairways and many of the steep slopes have loose shale creating footing challenges everywhere.

I added the course to DGCR with maps and photos. I hope to get around to writing a review. It will likely be at least a three disc course. I was unable to find the basket for hole 11. Either the basket was removed, very well hidden or location was changed after they made the map.

Here is a view of the basket for Hole 7 and 10. As you can see, there is a little bit of a climb to get up there.

56e49a8f.jpg

Thanks for posting that! I definitely plan on getting up there in the next few weeks...looks like a fun, albeit incomplete alternative to Sky High.

Hidden Lakes approval is within reach!

There was talk and a bit of momentum for putting in an 18 hole course in Martinez, CA a couple years ago. I spoke with the guy spearheading it, but he ran out of time/energy, so not sure what's happening. It's great terrain in Hidden Lakes park, about 15 minutes from where I live in Benicia. Hoping to have more time next year to dig in and try to make it happen. More info:

http://www.martinezgazette.com/inde...lf-ideas-fly-at-prmcc&catid=46:news&Itemid=81

Tim S.

The Martinez Parks Commission and City Council are officially and unanimously in support of a course at Hidden Lakes. Next step is a public workshop at Martinez City Hall on July 23 @ 6:30 pm. Unless the workshop gives the City Council a reason to change their minds, the course will almost certainly be approved.

In the last few days, serious opposition has surfaced. They're not particularly well-informed or numerous, but they're determined. Their primary objections are safety and environmental impact. They've cited some of the more notorious anti-disc golf sites -- Leddy, Jean Cummings, McLaren. Basically, opponents wish the undeveloped part of the park was a nature preserve, but it's not at all: it already has mountain biking, dog-walking, fishing, a homeless camp, etc. The park is not crowded. Disc golf would fit in very well.

The Martinez group is well-organized, led by some articulate and equally determined locals who are highly regarded in the community. They are working hard to listen to needs and concerns of the skeptics, to have direct conversations to help them understand how the course will work in the park.

If you're in the Bay Area, please plan to attend the workshop on the 23rd and/or the official final vote of the City Council (date TBD).

Thanks!

Martinez disc golfers are trying again to get a course at Hidden Lakes. The first step - a presentation to the parks commission earlier this month (January 2014) - went very well. Now we are anticipating working through some issues with the commission in order to earn their recommendation to the city council... if you want to learn more, check out the FB page for Martinez Disc Golf Club.

(another overdue update :)

After several successful meetings with the Parks Commission and one with the City Council, Martinez is getting very close to final approval of a course at Hidden Lakes. Next step is a public workshop at Martinez City Hall on July 23 @ 6:30 pm. Unless the workshop gives the City Council a reason to change their minds, the course will almost certainly be approved.

In the last few days, serious opposition has surfaced. They're not particularly well-informed or numerous, but they're determined. Their primary objections are safety and environmental impact. They've cited some of the more notorious anti-disc golf sites -- Leddy, Jean Cummings, McLaren. Basically, opponents wish the undeveloped part of the park was a nature preserve, but it's not at all: it already has mountain biking, dog-walking, fishing, a homeless camp, etc. The park is not crowded. Disc golf would fit in very well.

The Martinez group is well-organized, led by some articulate and equally determined locals who are highly regarded in the community. They are working hard to listen to needs and concerns of the skeptics, to have direct conversations to help them understand how the course will work in the park.

If you're in the Bay Area, please plan to attend the workshop on the 23rd and/or the official final vote of the City Council (date TBD). For more info, check out the Martinez Disc Golf Club on Facebook.

Thanks!

Apparently there's going to be a Martinez City Council meeting on June 18th to propose a new disc golf course at Hidden Lakes Park in Martinez. Here's the info if anyone's interested in attending and showing support from the disc golf community.

Martinez City Council Meeting for a Martinez Disc Golf course
Wednesday, June 18th at 7:00 PM
525 Henrietta Street Martinez, CA 94553

At the City Council Meeting last month, all 5 councilmembers personally expressed support for the course. Amazingly, one of them used to play disc golf in the 1970s on the famous UC Berkeley course -- with none other than Victor Malafronte. (Bay Area has such sick disc history!)

Next step is a public workshop at Martinez City Hall on July 23 @ 6:30 pm. Unless the workshop gives the City Council a reason to change their minds, the course will almost certainly be approved.

The Martinez proponents are well-organized, led by some articulate and equally determined locals who are highly regarded in the community. They are working hard to listen to needs and concerns of the skeptics, to have direct conversations to help them understand how the course will work in the park.

If you're in the Bay Area, please plan to attend the workshop on the 23rd and/or the official final vote of the City Council (date TBD). For more info, check out Martinez Disc Golf Club on Facebook.

Thanks!

FYI Mt. Waterman in the Angeles National Forest is advertising a '27 hole disc golf course' that is going to open with their chairlift, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Hope we are more pleasantly surprised than Baldy's offerings!

ok, i know this isnt the most bustling thread but i know some of u are locals and could help me out with something ive been considering doing for almost a year now.

i live in south orange county, there are NO courses nearby, there is deerfield in irvine which is the closest one (a small 9 hole course) and huntington beach which is a larger 18 hole course, if you check DGCR and set the marker to mission viejo/laguna hills area, there is nothing nearby. Both courses are about a 20-45 minute drive depending on traffic. There are other courses listed, but they are complete crap courses that shouldnt even be listed.

How did you guys go about getting your local parks and rec to agree to installing a DGC? did you have a petition that people signed? and who funds it? you or parks and rec? i would try to get sponsors for baskets and stuff

there are plenty of fantastic places that are at regional parks and other city owned areas that would be fantastic for a DGC and would be out of the way of regular park users etc etc...

just trying to gauge whether it is worth it to try to get this thing going or if anyone here would be willing to help me on this journey.

I lived in Laguna Hills last summer and I got the feeling that Orange County parks didn't like the crowd that DG brought. Last time I played Deerfield there were signs warning that if people continue to drink, smoke or play from alternate tees that the course would be pulled.

ya, it sucks man. deerfield is the closest course and even though its super short and small, if they shut it down i would be pretty upset, the courses in tustin and anaheim are a complete joke. They havent done anything to the el toro marine base in ages, that would be a good place for one, or places like oneill park or laguna canyon, hell even off ortega somewhere would be sweet. theres plenty of open area. DG just isnt known here really, so its hard to get support when you only know a handful of people.

ya, it sucks man. deerfield is the closest course and even though its super short and small, if they shut it down i would be pretty upset, the courses in tustin and anaheim are a complete joke. They havent done anything to the el toro marine base in ages, that would be a good place for one, or places like oneill park or laguna canyon, hell even off ortega somewhere would be sweet. theres plenty of open area. DG just isnt known here really, so its hard to get support when you only know a handful of people.

Before they tore down so many structures in anticipation of the planned community, it would have made an awesome urban course. There just aren't enough courses that incorporate buildings, bridges, stair cases, planters, etc. in my opionion.

We bring baskets to UCI on occassion and mix a park and urban course layout and you would be amazed how much fun man made structures can be with the right layout.

Taylor mountain opening up in early Nov. 18 holes in santa rosa! #ufos

so apparently theres hope, buzz around the locals is that theres talk of a new course in laguna niguel, once i find out more info ill definitely spread it, its a glimmer of hope for a place that is lacking of courses

Latest posts