• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Champ Sidewinder is stable. I am sad.

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I lost a tasty champ Sidewinder that flew like the flight numbers. Actually I got the first one with all the stamp worn off, and many miles already on the odometer.

This new one is going to take forever to beat in, isn't it?

:(

Last edited:
ROLLER PRACTICE

Take it along and throw a practice roller off every tee. Forehand or backhand, up to you. 2 rounds of that and you'll have a sidewinding disc.

All premium plastic drivers are pretty overstable when fresh. But they should break into a sweet sweet spot.

Sand off the flashing with some 400-600 grit paper or take a razor blade and trim it off. Even if it looks like it has just a little it will make a difference. None of those? Rub it on some pavement or concrete.

Buy a used one locally, on here, eBay, FB.

My trusty champ sidewinder, in the bag for 2 full seasons, is now somehow getting more stable. It boggles the mind.

I know they're not the same, but if you pick up a Star Sidewinder it'll hit the sweet spot fast.

Champ Sidewinders, champ anything really, take a long time to beat in. If they ever do. But they also stay that way for a long time.

If you want a Sidewinder that flies like a Sidewinder right away, try Star.

My Star Sidewinder is just about perfect, but I always carry a Pro instead.

If I lose it I know another Pro off the shelf isn't far behind in hitting that same flight, without all the time spent to get my Star there.

This reminds me of a champ sidewinder I had awhile back. It flew like a thunderbird up to a certain speed, but get enough on it and it flipped and never came back. It's like there was no in between. I've never thrown a disc that was so binary and unpredictable in its flight.

I'd like to know your estimation on it's perceived flight numbers. I'm on the market for a new control driver and the champ sidewinder was one I was looking at

I liked the -3 turn. Right now throws have a baby S curve. I used to be able to throw it left off the fairway, past some trees, knowing it would come back right into the fairway, then finish straight.

I'll learn to work with what I have.

I would definitely try a star sidewinder or lighter weight. Champ plastic is always super beefy new and takes a long time to beat in. Honestly, when I threw a lot of Innova I preferred buying used plastic that was already beat in.

Sand off the flashing with some 400-600 grit paper or take a razor blade and trim it off. Even if it looks like it has just a little it will make a difference. None of those? Rub it on some pavement or concrete.

Buy a used one locally, on here, eBay, FB.

This is a very good tip. I threw it several times, landing in a parking lot. That razor edge underneath is gone and it helped the flight.

This is a very good tip. I threw it several times, landing in a parking lot. That razor edge underneath is gone and it helped the flight.

Spin it in some carpet. Don't waste sandpaper on a disc...same effect is achieved easily. Also doesn't make your disc uncomfortable to hold.

My trusty champ sidewinder, in the bag for 2 full seasons, is now somehow getting more stable. It boggles the mind.

I know they're not the same, but if you pick up a Star Sidewinder it'll hit the sweet spot fast.

I have that with a Flat top Star Valkyrie from 2009 Ice Bowl, recently I had the mold wearing from the OS Viking like spot to an actual Valkyrie and I thought last year a Flat top Valkyrie might be worth getting in Star again, using the numbers. Then this year I hit a tree with the Same Valktyrie I mention above and disc is not just flat top but board flat and gets more OS and every time I use it mold gets more OS, I fear to the point the Valkyrie is like the Flatter top Eagle X discs in Star/Champion eventually soon if I play more next year are that OS and I will need to replace with a new mold Star Valkyrie that is flat top as the OS complement to my 2017 Glow Champion Valkyrie that is like the old 2005 Valkyrie in Champion when they were new.

Also Have seen in stores some Valkyrie that ended up like Archon/Road Runner Top and rest is Valkyrie.

Get the same plastic as the Sidewinder in a Road Runner and I bet that will be the same flight.

Last edited:
Spin it in some carpet. Don't waste sandpaper on a disc...same effect is achieved easily. Also doesn't make your disc uncomfortable to hold.

another that might work well is for close putts under 10 feet where you know you will make it, putt with the Sidewinder.

I did a similar in 2016 with a regular production Star Shark at 175 grams I got that had 1/2 inch of flashing One time when 40 MPH winds were happening I had to putt with the Star Shark too windy for even my Pro Shark similar weigh. During that round the Star Shark got easier to throw after that round. Seeing how few Star Shark ended molding up very well it was not a surprise the mold was stopped right before/as flight numbers in 2014-2015 were going on discs. Just would not mold up right and until 2019 sometime when I got backups around 175 grams the mold getting hard to find online new. This is due to seeing how one of my Star Shark should be F2 as it is as floppy as G-Star just missing the grip that G-Star has.

This from experience can make a disc hard to throw if the road is not bran new black top style.

Doing the spin into carpet or if you went sans carpet at your house, go to the sidewalk or other Concrete with a more level piece that is free of divots and chunks and do the same spin.