• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course in Southern California!

Danger

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Verdugo Hills Golf Course has installed 9 holes on their ball golf course permanently for the rest of the year. The decision to add the other 18 or pull it all together will be made based on how this month goes.

I encourage all Southern Californians to take a moment to support this course and give the club a reason to keep it forever! This golf course has been under public scrutiny for years for not pulling a profit, so we should do our very best to help them out and expand exposure to our sport.

Those of you that played the Canon Ball Run earlier this year will remember well, half of the course. If you weren't there, here are some reasons to try it out!

-LIGHTS! The course is open until 9:30PM. This is great news now that the time change has kicked in!
-FOOD AND BEER is available for fair prices in their shop
-DRINK AND SMOKE AWAY! It's allowed.
-ELEVATION/TECHNICAL HOLES. This will be by FAR the BEST night time option for disc golf in Southern California.
-$5 GREEN FEE. This may or may not allow multiple laps. Either way, $5 is cheap considering you get lights and manicured greens.

It is my understanding that a weekly is being held each Monday at 6:30PM. I may be wrong on the time.

Anyway, collect those pennies and throw a few bucks their way, SOON! This is a great opportunity for our city and would really round out the Sylmar/Oak Grove discing area.
Please don't be put off because it is only 9 holes right now. If we fail to enjoy it now, it will never turn into the awesome 18 hole course that it can be.

DGCR: Verdugo Hills Golf Club
I have not changed it to 9 holes, because I don't want to delete the information already there and *HOPEFULLY* this will be 18 holes by 2012!!!!

I've wanted them to do that for years. I can't wait to play this course when I make it back to so-cal for Christmas.
DSCJNKY

Gary at Sylmar was talking about putting the baskets in at Verdugo. I've played ball golf there many times at night (rabbits everywhere) and will definitely head over there to check it out.
Very curious though, it's a pretty compact course, are you playing along side the ball golfers? Are there separate tee pads?
Psyched to try it out.

According to Snappyfingers, there are 2 tee pads per hole. When I played it a few months ago we just used the bolf tees. I have not been since it has been re-set up but if nobody posts an answer I should have one within a week or so!

I'm heading there Monday or Tues so I'll find out soon enough.
Looking forward to it.

Played Verdugo this morning and really enjoyed it, fun well manicured course. Loved the extra challenge of all the ball golf greens being out of bounds.

Here's a link to some photos and write up:
Verdugo Hills

6346280916_117ffd8934_z.jpg

Hole 8

I played it on Veterans day and it was cool, some of the tees box were tough to get a good run up, but in general it was a nice place to play and loved the atmosphere. I think there was like 50 disc golfers there when I was. It should make it no problem hopefully.

Great pictures Skulboy :) Hopefully we can get our info page updated here too!!!!

Going to try to hit this over Thanksgiving weekend. Do you need a tee time there?

You do not need a tee time. The manager there said that they do have tee times however so if you want to step on the tee pad at a specific time and not have to wait, call ahead.

I have been a big fan of night golf out there. The management seems happy to have us and the golfers are amiable as well. When/if the back 9 get put in it will definitely be something. the OG and Sylmar guys seem to be there all the time.

Today we overheard some bolfers while waiting in line at tee 1.

"I had one of them offer me a bong load."
"Their reggae music annoys me."
"Well, if it keeps the course open, then I guess I'm okay with it."

I don't really believe them as I have never seen a bong on a course, I just think they were being elitist a-holes. Not really the course for a bolfer to be elite at...seems to me they should be playing at a course with some D if they want to act that way:)

Otherwise, EVERYTHING at this course has been nothing but pleasant.

Last edited:
OK, BTDT.

Hopefully my five bucks is going towards those next nine baskets... Not to mention the $7.43 for a cheeseburger with everything* but 1000 island and a small coke. Good burger. Comes on a slightly goofy bun, ( I don't even know what it's called ), but it's good grub at a good price.

About the holes, well... I've only played it once, and I'm an amateur while y'all are mostly pros, so I won't bother blabbing about that.

But it's a pretty nice course in most other ways, regardless, so I definitely look forward to having an alternative to my usual weekend question: "Oak Grove or Sylmar"?

*grilled onions, too.

Announcement was made Monday evening at the weekly that the back 9 goes in today. I'm going down around dusk hopefully to play till close.

Going to check it out Friday afternoon. Pumped for the back 9!

Well no baskets, just concrete pouring today. Should be finished up in the morning and playable mid day tomorrow.

Man this is the type of stuff thats gonna make me move back to Cali.

6a00e54ffb97e68834010535b9c79f970c-800wi

Not that the weather makes it any worse.

I will have to make it up there sometime in the next few weeks.