• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New course: La Plata, MD - Turkey Hill Park

jrawk

* Ace Member *
The Southern Maryland Disc Golf Club and Charles County Parks Department are working together on a new 18 hole course located at Turkey Hill Park the north side of La Plata off of Rt 301. This will be the first public course in Charles County, Maryland.

18 baskets (Innova Discatchers), 2 pin positions, 2 tee pads (red and blue). Healthy distribution of wooded to open shots. Two lakes in play. The course will cirlce around the perimeter of the park, however will have access points for vehicles to traverse the park during tournament shotgun starts. A dedicated DG parking lot with practice basket nearby is planned to be developed between hole 1 and 18.

Preliminary course design on the back 9 is still rough as we are waiting for the survey contractor to finish and mark the property limits on the north side woods (will be complete this week), however the front 9 is maturing quickly.

Our design goal is to create a challenging course for adept players playing the blue teepads, yet remain fun and enticing to novices playing the red teepads.

While the course design is progressing quickly, many of the back 9 holes will require massive ammount of work to clear the fairways in the northern woods. While we have not yet committed to a target completion date, we fully anticipate a playable 18 holes before January 2014.

Updates and more information on the course progression can be tracked at http://md-discgolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4086 or the Southern Maryland Disc Golf Club facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/479957845400345/

Last edited:
Quick update:

Still lots to do, but we've had a very productive August and are getting close to a final design. All wooded fairways have been identified and clearing is underway. Charles County Parks department has been nothing short of spectacular to work with, and the help from our club members has been huge.

I missed this post the first time through, I'm really excited to hear about this. I pass through La Plata on my travels between Richmond and NE MD all the time. Right at the half way point to stop and play some disc golf.

The course is nearing completion and we have a meeting tonight with Park and Rec to determine a grand opening timeline. We have already identified hosting a Birdie Bash here on May 10th and a C-Tier Pro/Am on September 14.

So stay tuned here and the course's new facebook page for announcments and ribbon cutting festivity details.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Turkey-Hill-Disc-Golf-Course/482202971893291 PLEASE LIKE

BTW there is a course map posted on Facebook.

A date has been identified for the grand opening. Just need to clear it with the county commisioners and some other officials before making the date public.

Tee signs are starting to be developed.

And I gotta give some early props to the Charles County Parks employees working on this project. They are going the extra mile early and having fun implimenting some features that will surely make Turkey Hill Park a top disc golf venue in Maryland, dare i say World Class!?

Hole 18 may become the most memorable finishing hole in the state of Maryland with a 250' water carry (optional) from the tee and this beautiful elevated basket as the icing on what's sure to be a stand-out course. If you haven't done so yet, like the course facebook page for more developments and soon to be announced grand opening date & party.

attachment.php

Attachments

• thp18.jpg
    thp18.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 177
No the baskets will not be put out permanently until April 26th. There is still some fairway clearing needed, drainage issues to fix, bench/trashcan/teesign installation.

Turkey Hill Park is roughly 20 minutes north of the 301 bridge at the corner of Turkey Hill Road and Rt 301.

Fundraiser tee's for the Humane Society

All proceeds benefit the Humane Society of Charles County.

For those not able to attend in person, shirts can be purchased & mailed for $15 each. Send me a PM.

attachment.php

Attachments

• turkeyhillteeshirts.jpg
    turkeyhillteeshirts.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 79
Less than 4 weeks away to opening day. :hfive:

Tee signs are at the sign shop getting made up now. And last of the benches, trash cans, navigation signage will be done soon.

1 basket per hole will be out on april 26th. No baskets will be out earlier.

We've done all we can do. Everything else the County is doing and they're doing it quickly.