• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

I caught this thread a few days ago and have been thinking about making a trip to my local store. I did, and found a few still on clearance for $12.48. Much better than the full price on the website. Picked up some plasti-dip (though stupid me, picked up the wrong color... ahh well) and am quite happy. Also, the advice that someone gave about putting a dollar store cutting board in the bottom, perfect. I picked one up at Dollar Tree, and it really helps give it a firm base. I don't have a PVC frame in mine, will use it for a bit before I decide if I want to do that or not.

Beast Mode... does your PVC frame cover the entire bottom of the bag and extend up the center instead of the sides? That is something I might need given that I don't have near enough discs to fill the bag... So either that center divider or buy more discs ... choices choices :)

Yeah the PVC frame runs the corners of the bottom right under the fabric. I had the two sides at first but changed it to the center divider running of a T. I just think it works better that way.
I think Thursday I'm going to spend time making it firm an more natural to the bag...
also won a stool today, so going to try to incorporate something to hold that.

stoked. stoked. stoked! got my blue embark jartop with orange trim backpack in the mail today. i didnt have the PVC pipe yet so i started messing around. i took the divider from my Innova bag, and placed it in the 'pack, but the discs were still sitting lower than i would like. i needed to find something light to put on the bottom of the bag for my divider to sit on. then it hit me. use one of my daughter's cardboard bricks she uses to build castles with (yes, i often play the evil dragon that tears the castle down, but that was when she was much younger) anywhoo, i put the brick in the bottom, put the divider on top, added my discs, and VOILA....perfection. no need to add the pvc. the brick is just wide enough on the bottom that it stretches the bag just a hint for perfect stability. the divider adds even more stability, and now the discs sit higher up in the bag. the brick adds about 3 inches of height from the bottom up. i will be plastic dipping the bottom outside of the bag tomorrow after work....probably two coats. i have 18 discs in there right now and could easily fit two to three more....but im trying to disc down a bit. :) i will post pics when everything is finished. love this thing!! light weight. looks good. feels great when on the back. stands up straight. my only gripe is i wish there were more pockets, but the back deep "laptop" pocket has space to throw things (like hand warmers for the cold months) in and store. other than that minor complaint, i really dig this thing and cannot wait to hit Seneca Creek this weekend for a round of 18. :clap:

Alright so there is a picture of the frame from Iso, side, and exploded.

I have:

2 1/2" T's
6 1/2" 90 elbows

4- 5 1/4" PVC (width)
2- 3 3/4" PVC (depth)
1- 6 3/4"(angled front riser, fits bag a bit better)
1- 6 1/2" (straight back riser)
1- 5 1/4" PVC (connecting risers)

You can do this frame with 48" of PVC.

As stated before I will try to add corrugated plastic and fabric over it in the coming days.
When I add the plastic, I may add extra to the bottom to raise it up a bit like someone previous posted, it would be just a luxury upgrade (weight vs preference) just to bring it up a little bit but again that's really nitpicking at that point.

Side note:
I am thinking the handle on the putter pocket could possibly hold my dynamic disc stool, I may try to add a bit of velcro on the handle to lock it in better but make the opening easily accessible still.

Attachments

• IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG0465.jpg
    IMAG0465.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 221
Think I might pull the trigger on the larger Elite Jartop. Took a look at one while I was in my neighborhood Target.

Would hold plenty of discs plus odds and ends, has several loops to hold bag tags, etc, lightweight, ripstop material, and holds two 1L nalgene bottles. Given the mass of 5-6 textbooks and a laptop (says capacity is 7-8 textbooks) I'd think the seams would have to be pretty solid, especially the shoulder strap seams because they have to support all that weight... discs don't weigh as much a textbooks. The zippers and pulls seemed high quality, and it generally seemed fairly well constructed.

My greatest concern would be abrasion resistance in the outdoors but the bottom was reinforced and a few coats of plasti-dip before first use should help that out. Alas, it's not on sale... $35.

I really like the top load feature and better drink storage than my Cabela bag... but I really don't need to spend the money - my bag's holding up well.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
All righty....so, I went ahead and made an internal frame with some PVC pipe and I really dig the final result. I went with the center riser design seen on this thread (Home Depot did not have the Y elbows for the two side riser design). I shortened the riser height a half inch...just personal taste. I plasti dipped the frame as well as the bottom of the bag (about three coats on bottom of bag) and this baby is ready for a test drive on the course! :clap: The bag stands up well. Disc retrieval is easy. And overall the whole bag looks awesome. Very stoked.

All righty....so, I went ahead and made an internal frame with some PVC pipe and I really dig the final result. I went with the center riser design seen on this thread (Home Depot did not have the Y elbows for the two side riser design). I shortened the riser height a half inch...just personal taste. I plasti dipped the frame as well as the bottom of the bag (about three coats on bottom of bag) and this baby is ready for a test drive on the course! :clap: The bag stands up well. Disc retrieval is easy. And overall the whole bag looks awesome. Very stoked.

Nice. Yeah lowe's didn't have corner y's either so that's why I went simple with the center divider. It looked cleaner that way. I am currently taping the corrugated plastic to the frame. Going to wrap with material tomorrow for a more finished look

Nice. Yeah lowe's didn't have corner y's either so that's why I went simple with the center divider. It looked cleaner that way. I am currently taping the corrugated plastic to the frame. Going to wrap with material tomorrow for a more finished look

nice brother. after spraying the frame with black plastic dip, i think it blends in pretty well. not sure i am going to wrap with material, etc. BUT i am considering buying a can of orange plasti dip to spray to the frame to match up with the orange accents of the blue/orange backpack. could look pretty tight. and with the large number of orange discs i have, it will blend in even more! i am taking the bag out for a round of 18 this weekend at Seneca Creek State Park. pretty psyched.

yeah i plasti dipped the bottom...about two/three coats. played a round of 18 today at Seneca Creek. varied terrain: grass, dirt, branches, etc. barely any wear. great stuff

I happened to come across a good amount of corrugated plastic so instead of putting material, I plasti dipped all the plastic black, then just stitched them into the backpack so they would stay. Also put plastic around the frame which made the divider a bit wider but much stronger. It's a tiny janky but functionality wise, very nice.

Just picked up an awesome purple one for $8.16 after tax. They had 4 but my wife was really against me buying all of them.

It's a wise investment. For the cost of four is like the cost of a fade crunch and you get more life from the four and save money in the long run. If she found a pair of shoes she loved on sale I'm sure she would by two so if one gets ruined she still has the others and wouldn't have to spend more money in the future.

I picked up the larger Elite Jartop, pretty much the same as what RomePK shows on the right side of post #52 - more storage and different material than the "standard" jartops.

I plasti-dipped the bottom and gave it a try. 19 fit easily in the main compartment with no frame, could take a 20th with no problem. Didn't quite sit on my back very well while loaded up. So I removed the clip from a legal size clip board and slipped it in the laptop section - works pretty nicely - feels good on my back and now it stands up better when I sit it down, without having to build a frame.

There's a zippered lining in the top flap for an MP3 player/other device - I removed the lining because it limits the storage space in that pouch - glad I did. I can store tape, LED's, glow stuff in there - could put wallet, phone, etc, but found a better spot for them.

I really like the top loading access and putter storage, several places to hook carabiners for tags, towels and such. Zippers seem high quality and smooth. Holds two 1L wide-mouth nalgenes. Made of lightweight, rip-stop material, the bag itself seems pretty sturdy.

Will try this out for a while and see how it compares to my Cabela XPG - I definitely like the disc access better.

Will see ho this set up works/holds up for a while, but so far, so good.

Last edited:
I got mine a couple weeks ago and put a PVC frame in and plasti-dipped the bottom. I added from small carabiners to the loops on either side of the front pocket. I have taken it out a couple times these past two weeks and have enjoyed less strain on my back. There is a slight problem with balance when setting down on hills. You have to angle it a certain way so it doesn't tip over. I am going to try putting a plastic cutting board in the bottom and see with that helps flatten it out.

Latest posts