• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

So, my bag has been used for about 20 rounds, maybe more.
No problems yet!

I recently converted my PVC frame to a single center style like BeastMode208 used on page 8. This method works just as good without the worry (PVC on the sides stretching/ruining the seams).

I was looking for a backup bag to keep in my car, and this looks perfect. I have a small Discraft bag that only holds 10 discs,and thats it,and I wanted something a little bigger, and this looks like a great project for me.

This fits alot of disc prolly 20-22 in the main spot alone maybe 4 putters in the front prolly 3 in the laptop pocket I'm truly impressed with mine

Thank you OP and everyone providing input.

I just went to the local target and they only had one of the $25 jar tops and it was an ugly color combo, but they had several of the $35 ones. The one knock on the $35 version other than the 10 bucks is that the backpack is a bit deeper. I put a couple t-shirts in a cereal box a stuck it in the bottom, and then used the plastic cutting board idea on top of that. It seems plenty stable for me without any additional reinforcement but I haven't used it yet. Def going to plastic dip the bottom.

THANK GOD

FOR WEEKS,

I have been looking for a DG backpack style bag for cheap that I could DIY because all arguments aside bags like GRIP are just way way overpriced. This bag is perfect, to reinforce the bottom I used two flat pieces of plastic that go inside of reuseable grocery bags and sandwiched them with a couple pieces of cardboard in between, best way to protect the bottom is to prolly just use some kind of sealant spray as it'll be cheap and you can always apply a new coat when needed.....thanks for the find OP:D

This fits alot of disc prolly 20-22 in the main spot alone maybe 4 putters in the front prolly 3 in the laptop pocket I'm truly impressed with mine

I have this bag. I can fit about 20 discs in the main compartment and 2 putters in the front pocket. 20 discs is without a disc divider, which makes the disc not sit perfectly straight all the time (especially if the bag ain't full of discs (like 10-15). I will be adding some dividers to help keep the disc aligned and up and see how many I can fit then.
I like the PVC idea, but would like something smaller.

gotta give it a try

After reading all the posts in this thread I have to give one of these bags a try. I've been looking for something a little bigger than my fade crunch for everyday causal rounds. I have a voodoo karma, but I mainly use it for tourneys. I love all the tweeks everyone has suggested with the pvc frames and plasti-dip. Great thread!!

Thank you OP and everyone providing input.

I just went to the local target and they only had one of the $25 jar tops and it was an ugly color combo, but they had several of the $35 ones. The one knock on the $35 version other than the 10 bucks is that the backpack is a bit deeper. I put a couple t-shirts in a cereal box a stuck it in the bottom, and then used the plastic cutting board idea on top of that. It seems plenty stable for me without any additional reinforcement but I haven't used it yet. Def going to plastic dip the bottom.

I like the extra depth of the Elite Jartop... so far so good.

Have used mine about a month, and it's starting to fray where the shoulder strap attaches to the top of the back pack. Supposed to have a 1 YR warranty against defects in material & workmanship... which I genuinely think this would be. The 7 text books they claim it can hold would easily weigh more than 18-20 discs.

Curious to see if they'll exchange it... may be tough to explain the plasti-dip on the bottom. :\

I've had mine for about a month no damage so far it's a great bag I'm just becoming not a fan of it prolly going back to the competition

I have had mine now for quite a while. There have been a lot of logged rounds carrying 16-20 discs. Bag still is just fine. I took out the single divider in the middle but left the pvc on the bottom then taped corrugated plastic over it and plasti dipped it. With this it seems the discs hold it up pretty well . I cut out the top pocket so it is much deeper now, can hold my wallet, phone, keys, a couple minis easy. Typically I use the inner back pocket for 3 putters and 1 mid. The front pocket has a perfect mini and pencil holder, also holds my disc retriever and has a small amount of space for something else if needed.
Now that it is getting colder I may convert it back to a putter pocket in the front and storage in the back pocket, we shall see.
The outside has plenty of loops that have held tags, keys and other things on the carabiner. The drink storage still holds up well on each side, and I have had large gatorades, 1 liters, and large bottles in there frequently.
This bag seems to feel much lighter than a grip/revolution/ranger bag, at least to me, nothing official though.
When it rains the fabric isn't exactly what you want but it holds up, and the jartop does keep most of your discs completely dry if zipped up.

Will update while playing into the winter.

Still a fantastic bag for a total price of around $10.

Beastmode, confused about what you said regarding the top pocket.
Are you saying you cut out the fabric liner and are now utilizing the whole "lid" of the jartop as a giant pocket? If yes, is that holding up ok?... that nylon lining seems very thin on mine.

Beastmode, confused about what you said regarding the top pocket.
Are you saying you cut out the fabric liner and are now utilizing the whole "lid" of the jartop as a giant pocket? If yes, is that holding up ok?... that nylon lining seems very thin on mine.

That's exactly what I did - works fine!

The only issues with my Elite were/are
1) I needed to put a clip board in the computer pocket to provide some support, made it sit much better on my back.
2) The seam fraying where shoulder strap joins the top of bag.

I just picked one of the up based on this thread, and I'm glad I did. The only thing it's missing is non-disc storage space and a stool. Otherwise, it seems great.

That's exactly what I did - works fine!

The only issues with my Elite were/are
1) I needed to put a clip board in the computer pocket to provide some support, made it sit much better on my back.
2) The seam fraying where shoulder strap joins the top of bag.

I just got the Elite today. Took it out for a round to see if I was going to like it or not. Pretty good other than it sitting weird on my back because the discs were too low.

So when I got home, I put two folded towels in the bottom, then took the velcro liner out of my fade bag and put that on top. Works like a champ! Discs sit higher and fits a lot better on my back! Gonna plastidip the bottom tomorrow and test it out this weekend!

http://i.imgur.com/Mg3Gy1o.jpg

Still loving this bag as well. This is my first bag that isn't a drawstring bag, and it works perfectly. So much easier to deal with than carrying around a handful of discs and tossing them to the ground each shot. The plasti-dip has been a lifesaver as I got mine right as dew started forming each morning around these parts, and I haven't had any issues with wet discs.

I found this post and went to Target and got the Elite Jartop for $31. I used 1/2 inch PVC for my frame and figured I would share with you guys the dimensions I used. (If dimensions were used in previous posts I apologize but I didn't read all 12 pages of this thread and just winged it.)

1/2" Tee SxSxS Connectors (4)
1/2" 90 Degree SxS Connectors (4)
1/2" Pressure 90-Degree SxS Elbow with threaded side outlet. (4)
1/2" Male Connectors (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 2" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 4" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 5" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 9 7/8' (4)

The two 9 7/8" pieces and two of the 4" pieces connect to the Pressure 90 degree elbow with the threaded hole make up the base. You then connect the male connector to the elbow which sets the base for the rest of the frame and allows for adjustment. The four 2" pipes connect to the male connector. Next you will connect the remaining two 9 7/8" pipe to the 4 Tee connectors and then connect that to the four 2" pipe. You have just completed the base for your discs to rest on. Next you will connect the final pieces (2 elbows, two 5" pipe and one 4" pipe) that will create each side for the discs to rest upon.

*Number in parenthesis is the quantity.
** SxS means Slip by Slip. In other words it's not threaded and you just slide the pipe in without needing to twist.

The reason I created my frame like this is because it puts the discs at easy reach height while still being able to zip the bag up, creates small storage under the discs (enough for a long underwear top, hat, snacks, etc), and puts the discs at a nice height on your back that is comfortable.

I plan on spray painting the PVC frame black so it will match the bag and put my own custom zipper pulls. There are 10 zippers in total. Below I am going to link some pictures of the bag I made and I hope this helps you make one similar.

http://i.imgur.com/RRSMuky.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ncDkaR1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N6qqntp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t5NLvP9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yyeiwAg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fXBSKm1.jpg

I can fit a total of 19 discs on the frame for storage and another 6-7 discs the bag comfortably.

Latest posts