• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Driver

tn407

Last week I lost my sidewinder at the local course. Now I am trying to decide what to replace it with. I have been playing for several months now and had what I thought were 4 solid discs:

Star Sidewinder (165g)
DX Whippet (165g)
DX Goblin (175g)
Pro Rhyno (165g)

I could always buy another sidewinder but I have been looking at the sl, beast, and valkyrie. I would like to try a wraith but I think it might be too fast. Is the wraith a disc the works good if you do not get optimal speed? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Leopard would be a good disc to use as a driver. Or a lighter weight Valkyrie or even a light weight Monarch. I would hold off on the Wraith until you get your arm up to speed.

How far are you throwing each of those discs?

I'd recommend something slower and more neutral than the Sidewinder. A Polairs LS or DX Cheetah are excellent choices for learning to drive.

The Leopard is a really good disc and would compliment the overstable Whippet that you have. Gets good distance, nice right turns, and can be hyzer flipped to fly far and straight.

Another good choice would be the Teebird, a good straight flyer. Get's really nice distance, but flies with great control. In my opinion, the best all-around driver.

If you are set on a true distance driver, I would try the Valkyrie in the same weight. Little less turn, can cover a range of shots.

I throw the sidewinder 250 - 275, whippet 150 - 175, and I use the other 2 for approaches and putts

Valkyrie, I used to throw a sidewinder, then I switched to the Valk once I got a little more poser and snap. Trust me, you will like it, but maybe not right away.

I would try a few but many of my friends throw valks and get some good distance out of them. also agree with tee bird as being solid all around driver it was my first.

now I throw a wraith or surge and love em.
try to throw a variety as even same molds maybe slightly different.
good luck

I throw the sidewinder 250 - 275, whippet 150 - 175, and I use the other 2 for approaches and putts
Then IMO, the Polaris LS and DX Cheetah will be ideal for you.

Work on driving with your putters and mids, too. That's an important thing to do.

I'd say get a TL and Teebird which are great to learn with, both speed 7 discs and they compliment each other nicely. The Valk and Sidewinder are both speed 9 discs and can be squirrely if you are not throwing 300'+ with decent form.

Last week I lost my sidewinder at the local course. Now I am trying to decide what to replace it with. I have been playing for several months now and had what I thought were 4 solid discs:

Star Sidewinder (165g)
DX Whippet (165g)
DX Goblin (175g)
Pro Rhyno (165g)

I could always buy another sidewinder but I have been looking at the sl, beast, and valkyrie. I would like to try a wraith but I think it might be too fast. Is the wraith a disc the works good if you do not get optimal speed? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

if you have good arm strength, i would definitely go with wraith. i just got a TL and its excellent.

A bud of mine swore by the sidewinder till he lost it and found a star orc. Now he loves it more then anything

Star Sidewinder (165g)
DX Whippet (165g)
DX Goblin (175g)
Pro Rhyno (165g)

my valk is my go to discs in my bag(3 different ones) i love the roadrunner as well but it is pretty much my how the hell do i get out of here disc.

I'd say get a TL and Teebird which are great to learn with, both speed 7 discs and they compliment each other nicely. The Valk and Sidewinder are both speed 9 discs and can be squirrely if you are not throwing 300'+ with decent form.

I agree. Try the Teebird or TL. :)

Chances are if you were throwing a Sidewinder 250-275, it was probably turning over on you, and fading back if it was not too beat in (or kept turning if it was beat in). If that is the case, and you were happy with the way the Sidewinder works for you ... OK.

The Valk is the Innova's next step up in stability from the Sidewinder - a bit harder to turn over. Some who find a Sidewinder too flippy throw straighter with a Valk. Others find a Valk too stable, and throw straighter with a Sidewinder.

The Beast is about as stable as a Valk, but a bit faster, meaning it requires a bit more power to throw. Faster discs are only faster if they are thrown faster. Thrown at the same speed, a faster disc just behaves as if it more stable, so while the Beast and Valk appear to be very similar, the Beast requires more power to go further than a Valk.

Latest posts