• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Updating discs after 10 years

JJantzi

I played a bunch in high school and beginning of college, then lost my head for the game and stopped playing consistently. During this transition, I went from 20+ discs in my bag to 7 discs including:
2 MVP Proton soft anodes (?g)
1 Innova KC pro roc (180g)
1 Discraft Z-line Buzz (175g) - well seasoned
1 Lat-64 gold River (?g) - well seasoned
1 11xKC pro Teebird (167g)
1 Innova pearly Champion Firebird (165g)
I have recently gotten back into the game and have been overwhelmed at the all of the new disc manufacturers and discs out there. I picked up a 170g DD Vandal and an 173g Escape looking for a distance driver in an attempt to replace my Destroyer that I couldn't throw anymore (too fast). I've liked playing with a smaller and slower bag (keeps me humble and less injury prone). I throw RHBH primarily.
With new disc technology and the like, are there any pressing updates for my bag? Are my discs completely outdated?
Thanks for the help.

I played a bunch in high school and beginning of college, then lost my head for the game and stopped playing consistently. During this transition, I went from 20+ discs in my bag to 7 discs including:
I have recently gotten back into the game and have been overwhelmed at the all of the new disc manufacturers and discs out there. I picked up a 170g DD Vandal and an 173g Escape looking for a distance driver in an attempt to replace my Destroyer that I couldn't throw anymore (too fast). I've liked playing with a smaller and slower bag (keeps me humble and less injury prone). I throw RHBH primarily.
With new disc technology and the like, are there any pressing updates for my bag? Are my discs completely outdated?
Thanks for the help.

In short, no. Even with a ton of competitors, the Destroyers is still the class of the distance driver slot. Star Wraith is a good step more accessible than the Destroyer, if that's still too much disc then Sidewinder or Wraith would be good alternatives to the Vandal.

There is no reason that bag isn't still on point if it works for you and could be found in bags all over. There are a lot of new OS to very OS options that have arrived as the FH has really taken off. If you throw FH, the Toro is a great slow OS FH approach disc. There are some recent really nice speed 13 drivers that are less OS than say a destroyer or wraith or boss....Corvette comes to mind and the shryke...I might check those out for max D drivers.

Basically there are good discs made my even more companies now.

Try a Stego, it's a comically OS approach disc that's a ton of fun. Maybe look an an Envy it's a really long and straight approach disc.

Only thing the wide variety of new discs might do is fly a touch different. Like if you want a disc that flies like a slightly more stable (whatever) there are 20 different discs close enough to be worth trying. Who knows, you might like the hand feel or color better as well.

There are different and probably more useful specialty discs now. Berg, glitch, ogopogo, stego

Star wraith is money. I have a 168 that will turn and fade back. Definitely what I'm using for shots where distance is the most important factor.

Simon Lizotte just started putting with Anodes and some of your Innova is probably collector status.

You'll likely have the coolest bag on the course.

Not sure how much heat you're trying to take off the Destroyer, and the Vandal and Escape are great discs to try out for distance, but if you decide you need something faster, the Discmania Astronaut is a pretty fun disc for easy distance. It's still high speed (12/6/-4/1) but doesnt require a high arm speed to get it moving the way you want it to.

So many brands, so many discs, so many opinions. Here's my input:

Throw what you have.

Find out what works and what doesn't work.

Find out what shots you are missing. Is there a dogleg left that you just cannot make with any disc you have? Cool, now you know what spot you need to fill.

See what your buddies throw. Ask if you can try their discs. Are there any that 'feel right' to you?

Don't overthink your bag....I know people who have a ton of discs in their bag and may only throw a few of them. But the rest are 'just in case'.

---and---
Some people are for and some are against the 'help me fill my bag' sites. But....

MyDiscBag.com - let's you build multiple bags and will show you what your discs cover based on how they should fly (not necessarily how they fly for you). Will also recommend discs....but I don't find that helpful.

DGPuttheads.com - interactive flight chart shows how all discs are intended to fly. You can build your own bag here and it will show you what spots you have covered and which are 'empty'.

TryDiscs.com - I like this site for the Find Similar Discs option. Let's say you used to throw a Witness, but you found it is out of production, you can enter the disc on this site and find ones that might fly similarly. Or maybe you really like a Kastaplast Falk but no one sells Kastaplast near you and you really want to be able to buy from a local store....well, Find Similar Discs will let you know what is similar to a Falk and you can pick one that your local store sells.

The discs you have are still pretty viable. I carry a minimalist bag, the Gold Line River is one of my main drivers, that and a Jade, Mako 3, Claymore, and one of my favorite putters. If I carry too many discs it just tends to confuse me.

Thanks for the help.

Pressing updates...hm. Teleportation and reality phasing technology still hasn't hit the market, so you are probs good.

Short answer--no, you don't need anything new based on those discs.

Is there anything to explore that might improve your game? My game got a ton better when I started throwing putters as much as possible. I know that sounds obvious and noobish to say, but I mean throwing putters ON THE REG. XD

I'm on Envy/Zone/Stego/Berg after trying a ton of 'em. I'd say def see if you can find a role for any of those that are new flight profiles. There's a hole at my local and Stego is cheat code bc, well, Stego thangs.

As far as the distance game goes, I'd swear that Innova put some kind of magical distance sauce in their Shrykes and Corvettes within the last couple of years. I've thrown earlier productions and they don't get me the same distance.

This may not apply to you--you throw/threw Teebirds and that's about as much distance as I typically ever need. I throw my Teebirds about 400' (BH). I can eek out a bit more distance with my Corvette.

I don't actually give a rip about the "speed" number and the folks that counsel me to disc down and tell me that there's no point in such a high speed number. Honestly I think they have no clue what they are talking about, a disc either works for you or it doesn't.

I think a disc is either aerodynamically/rotationally efficient or it's less efficient, and the newer G* and Star/Pro Corvettes (and Shrykes) seem exceptionally efficient. I keep trying others and haven't found better.

YMMV!!! All y'all. Just sharing my experience, and I keep looking for the new heat, and I'm brand indifferent.

But...you aren't looking to crush and injure yourself, so maybe just still to the Teebird. It's still the best tech out there imo. :D

Bohrium is a newish disc based on a kickstarter thing, they wanted to make a super aerodynamic disc, but for me it's only for FH--I can't grip and rip it BH. But it *is* aerodynamic and my longest FH disc.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with that bag. maybe pick up some lighter weights for your next couple discs to experiment with

Latest posts