• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new driver

bsstarnesj

Par Member
i am currently throwing destroyers around 390 and wondering if i should club down. i can throw a tl around 360. if there is that much of a difference, should i club down. what can i handle? im thinking about a pro beast. or a p cd.

Getting your slower discs further will probably help you more than trying to get the high speed stuff further. You can probably also get more distance with the Destroyer playing around with nose angle and different trajectories.

Have you tried any of Innova's speed 9 stuff? (Valk and Viking specifically) An SL, Beast, or even Archon sound like solid bets as well and all should be easily S-curved (for distance) with your arm. What is your Destroyer doing when it finishes for 390? Are you getting that with a flex (S-curve) shot?

Yep, I say it depends.

390 is a good drive on a lot of courses, especially if it's something you can crank out consistantly. On the other hand, if that's 390' sprayed all over in a wide open field, something more like a Beast or PD might knock off a few feet, but keep you on the fairway more.

No, you should keep throwing that Destroyer.

I broke 400' flat land (twice) for the first time after borrowing a Destroyer for a tournament this weekend, never thrown one before. I have trouble consistently breaking 350' typically with my fastest drivers (Avengers and Valkyries). No OAT, no distance flexing, just a frozen rope 400' bomb thrown low to keep it out of the wind. So if I can handle that disc, you definitely can.

If you can pump a TL 360' what is the point of discing down? The TL is slow and understable, so an accurate 360' with it means you have good enough form and power to throw higher speed stuff.

I have an S-CD that I really like, but I don't throw it that far. Ever.
If I could throw 390 consistently I would go work on my putting.
Seriously! I think that's some pretty good, workable distance.

Wraith and Destroyer are pretty much the same disc. 390 is a bomb, if that's actually what you're throwing. Keep practicing distance with distance discs. Your form isn't bad, so why practice distance with a disc you won't throw?

My main two drivers are a Wraith and a TL

I prefer the Wraith over the Destroyer because I can get pretty much the same distance out of both but my accuracy and consistency with the Wraith is leaps and bounds above the Destroyer.

You don't actually play much disc golf, do you? This is all theory, beautiful on paper, less correlated on the course. I know guys that can throw 500' (100'+ further than me) but don't outdrive my 250' with a putter. It's different types of shots...

You don't actually play much disc golf, do you? This is all theory, beautiful on paper, less correlated on the course. I know guys that can throw 500' (100'+ further than me) but don't outdrive my 250' with a putter. It's different types of shots...

huh?

I throw eagles ~360 and I consider a wraith almost too much disc for me.

A Wraith or Surge might be worth a try. But throw what you like to throw.

Just curious, what plastic type are these TL's you guys are hucking 350'+? Star, CFR Champ?

I throw star tls and star destroyers ___ getting a c pd, I like the pds versatility.
Definitely throwing destroyers around 390' i landed just short of hole 6 at best at the nest

The only real difference between throwing a putter and a driver is grip and line selection. The mechanics are virtually identical if you have a shot free of OAT. If you're a torque monkey Xcal/Firechicken/Drone only guy then yea you won't be able to throw putters far. That is the entire reason people advocate practicing with slower, less stable discs.

Before you ask me, yes I play a lot of disc with other great golfers and throw both putters and drivers quite well.

Latest posts