• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New England Love

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
From some reviews of NE courses:

From Pinnacle review by a Colorado DGer

Other Thoughts: I just began playing this summer and have played many courses in Colorado. Pinnacle was the first New England course that I've played, and I feel it's as good as anything out West, including Conifer. Holes 14-18 are amazing. I'll play this course whenever I come back East

From Devens review by TR from Northwest Gwillum

I've played nearly a hundred courses around the nation, and Deven's just made my top 10 list after only one round. That's pretty good considering I have a serious distaste for natural teepads.

From Wickham review by PA native
Other Thoughts: I've played over thirty courses in 5+ states and this is in my top five.

I am from PA but am being blown away by what exists to the north of me in NE and parts of NY....I find it odd that the outsiders are the ones who are rating these courses up....the locals trash these amazing courses.....seems NE DGers don't realize what they have up there!!! I really dont think anyone realizes how good New England disc golf is due to the low ratings NE locals give their own courses.

I fully expect this thread to die in anonymity just like the amazing NE disc golf courses do as no one seems to give a damn about New England despite the fact that I'm sure it's got better disc golf than anywhere else in the country!!

Dont take it personally. There just isnt a lot for us to add if we havent been there.

I've seen and heard stories about some of the trash issues that some NE courses have. And the ones i've played usually have more than a few trash cans scattered around the course. I don't get the laziness, you brought the FULL can/bottle/bag out on the course, why can't you carry the EMPTY(and much lighter) item out OR for a couple more holes to the the nearest can.

NOBODY trashes the J and lives to tell about it !!!!

I am going to be in MA & CT over the holidays and hope to play (weather and family permitting) Devens, Tully Lake, Simonds, Newton Hill, Buffumville Dam, Wickham (I know it is closed, but hope to walk it and scope it out).

The only NE courses I've played are Maple Hill & Pyramids and I liked them a lot. I grew up (or more accurately was raised :) ) in northwestern CT in the Berkshires so I am pumped to scope these courses and maybe more.

I agree although I think the east coast in general doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Its telling that Zenbot said hes going to have to re-think his 0-5 scale after playing Hawk Hallow.

My fav in conn. was west thompson lake park, followed by cranbury park, Wickham is a top park but I like the others better. I've played most of the courses on the east coast off of 95, Conn and down, and was happy I made the trip up there, they have some great course and the scenery is awesome. I will go back hitting even further north next time.

Good input......that gives me an idea. I might see if I can hook up with the FriZZaks and play Cranbury while the wife and kids visit one of her friends in White Plains, NY.

Part of the trouble is that until fairly recently, there were no courses in New England. So....none of the "old guys" can add any stories or reviews. My brother was going to college in Vermont in the early 90s and with the exception of New York, there was literally no where to play. I'm thrilled to see more and more courses appearing in New England; and there will be a major trip planned for that area in the next year or two. I am expecting to find some of the most thrilling disc anywhere, when that trip is made.

Dave242 I would highly reccomend Devens in Mass the most its paradise and the one course I really want to get back to more than any other. Wickham blends more variety and extreme elevation than more wooded and less dramatic Cranbury. Cranbury has amazing amenities though. I wasnt as impressed with Borderland as others but it was still a solid 4 to me. Joralemon Park is a good 27 hole option in nearby NY Ive heard good things about Hyzer and Pinnacle......really want someone to chime in on Vermont and Maine but its like theres no internet up there!

Deaf disc golf nationals won the bid to host at warren,vt in july 2010 so theres some love getting out

I'm blessed to be in the center of a ton of great disc golf courses. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to experience them all yet due to commitments. Next fall when the kids are in school full time I'll be hitting every single one.

Dave, post when you'll be up. I'm 15 min from Devens, and am itching to play. I'd love to try out Newton Hill too.

When I was back in Mass. visiting my family I played at Tully and Crane Hill. Crane hill is crazy ridiculous. If you like tight fairways prepare to fall in love. Don't be fooled by the open first hole...it gets thick. Next time I go back to Ma. I will be for sure playing that course again along with others.

I'm blessed to be in the center of a ton of great disc golf courses. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to experience them all yet due to commitments. Next fall when the kids are in school full time I'll be hitting every single one.

Dave, post when you'll be up. I'm 15 min from Devens, and am itching to play. I'd love to try out Newton Hill too.
i look forward to playing newton hill again this summer when it will hopefully be completed.
When I was back in Mass. visiting my family I played at Tully and Crane Hill. Crane hill is crazy ridiculous. If you like tight fairways prepare to fall in love. Don't be fooled by the open first hole...it gets thick. Next time I go back to Ma. I will be for sure playing that course again along with others.

ill be playing crane hill hopefully in spring so i am even more pumped:D

Dave242 I would highly reccomend Devens in Mass the most its paradise and the one course I really want to get back to more than any other. Wickham blends more variety and extreme elevation than more wooded and less dramatic Cranbury. Cranbury has amazing amenities though. I wasnt as impressed with Borderland as others but it was still a solid 4 to me. Joralemon Park is a good 27 hole option in nearby NY Ive heard good things about Hyzer and Pinnacle......really want someone to chime in on Vermont and Maine but its like theres no internet up there!

With the snow we just got, I'm guessing that Hyzer is closed until April....... nobody will prevent you from TRYING to play but the parking area will have a 2-3 ft snowbank from the road plows and the rugged terrain under the snow will most likely kill you.

The north country golfers are a quiet bunch, they seem to keep to their own websites(links below).......... the Vermont tournaments I've played are top notch events, IMO.

Maine
Vermont & NH

There is no way I'd try to play Hyzer Creek with a good amount of snow on the ground! That course has some pretty rough terrain and you wouldn't be able to see any of it with snow on the ground. I'd imagine myself falling all over the place lol!

From some reviews of NE courses:
I really dont think anyone realizes how good New England disc golf is due to the low ratings NE locals give their own courses.

Hey what a great topic! As a New Englander I'd say that we have very, very few rec courses. We have some good courses and we have some amaing courses. Of course Wickham woudl be hugely loved by anyone as it is simply beautiful.

Sadly, it's taken a really long time for DGCR to catch on up here. NEFA.com has had one of the most active forums in disc golf so I'd say up until this year there were a lot of courses with 1 or fewer reviews and they were perfectly good courses.

I started playing in 2006 and so many courses have gone in the ground since then. It's really great and I feel spoiled because there are so many longtime players who really had very few courses to play.

If you're oming to New England please PM me and I'll tell you what are the not-to-miss courses near you.

Then there's Marshall Street. An amazing shop which seems to dominate the east coast even while there were not so many courses and players up here.

Then there's Marshall Street...the street which not only has the shop but the Pyramids course onsite site and Maple Hill about an eith of a mile down the street.

I seem to be stuck in Mass on this post but every state (except Rhode Island YET) has many amazing courses. All of Maine is private and for the most part all those courses are worth the price of admission and then some.

Keep this thread going. I'd love to blab on and on about this.

So where r your reviews for NE courses.....this is what Im talkin about...the indifference NE locals have for their amazing courses!

Latest posts