• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Foot Fault Rule?

The balance thing has kind of always bothered me. (Disclaimer: I've never been called or warned for a foot fault). For instance; if the same rules were applied to NBA; we would have never gone beyond the set shot. Probably few on here who even remember basketball when player's shot from a set stance. Of course, your body moves forward when you do an athletic movement. For some of us (read me) this issue has been in our heads while putting, for years. Just how much "showing of balance" is required? I say at least a full 30 seconds worth (of course not so much that the time limit "for speed of play is violated)!! All players from now on must extremely sophisticated motion detectors to note absolute proof of balance; and stop watches; to determine speed of play issues.

You're only so sure because you have only been playing for 0.7 years. :D Also, a major enforcement change like this should be given plenty of notice to allow people to get used to the new style. I don't like how Dave insists that you shouldn't jump putt. I know you shouldn't jump before you putt but that doesn't mean it can't be done correctly.

This enforcement is mostly only gonna change in PDGA sanctioned events and i'd be willing to bet if it's PDGA sanctioned, they would announce it in the player meetings.

Oh, he forgot to put the word "carry" in front of "must....extremely sophisticated"....I think we should stroke him. And...good one Chuck; on the mentally balanced issue.

Not correct. The rule says nothing about whether the disc is moving or not when you move forward, just that both feet have balanced on the ground first before moving forward. You technically cannot do a drop-in putt where you only have your stance foot on the ground, tip forward to release the disc into the basket, pick it up out of the basket (while still balancing on your stance foot) and then finally put your other foot down behind the marker. The other foot has to come down before touching the disc in the basket to remove it.
The thing is I've never understood the practicality of doing a tippy toe lean when you're that close, even on a windy day. I've always had two feet planted. Now at 8-10 feet or so, perhaps, but nobody has arms that long. God knows I've seen people do it though.

In fact, I don't see the practicality of any sort of run up, lean, what have you inside the 10 meter circle, or even as far back as 40 feet, perhaps even 50-60 feet for an elite player. Its just one more thing that can go wrong.

This enforcement is mostly only gonna change in PDGA sanctioned events and i'd be willing to bet if it's PDGA sanctioned, they would announce it in the player meetings.

I can see that happening, but am willing to bet there will still be a fair number of discussions on the course about proper balance, etc. in the middle of a tourney. All I'm saying is that some clarification would be nice. And really, all of us should be playing by the same rules, am or pro.

The thing is I've never understood the practicality of doing a tippy toe lean when you're that close, even on a windy day.

This is more about a continuation of balance in a putting stroke. A lot of people (me included) tend to lean forward a hair and raise one leg behind you at the same time extending the arm to putt. This doesn't mean you're reaching for the basket but it also doesn't mean you naturally tend to put the raised foot down behind the marker before moving forward.

Last edited:
Although it's apparent that "balance" per the rules can be attained even while releasing a putt standing on one foot, rather than leave that to interpretation, the meaning of the word "balance" has now been clarified to mean that both feet need to already be on or be placed on the ground before moving forward on a putt within 10m. This way, it's easier for all players to make a consistent call on whether a player has shown balance before moving forward.

Ironically, you can completely fall on the ground after releasing the putt as long as all contact points with the ground are behind the mini. This is still considered getting to "balance" before moving forward toward the basket as ugly as it might look.

So, in essence; all you have to do is tap that back foot on the ground before falling forward? And, on "jump putts", you must make sure the foot nearest the mini/disc, remains in contact with ground until after release? I believe these are the issues at stake? However, neither of these stipulations actually shows any sort of "balance!"

So, in essence; all you have to do is tap that back foot on the ground before falling forward? And, on "jump putts", you must make sure the foot nearest the mini/disc, remains in contact with ground until after release? I believe these are the issues at stake? However, neither of these stipulations actually shows any sort of "balance!"

In the video Feldberg specifically states that you cant just do a tap or drag your foot. You must place your foot down behind the mark, then you can go towards the basket. For jump putts or putt jumps as he calls them, that is correct.

In the video Feldberg specifically states that you cant just do a tap or drag your foot. You must place your foot down behind the mark, then you can go towards the basket. For jump putts or putt jumps as he calls them, that is correct.

So, now we get back to the demonstrating balance part. Just how long must you stand there balanced? Two seconds; four seconds; two full minutes. I vote for two full minutes; again, with everyone having a stop watch to make sure you don't violate speed of play rules.

You don't have to demonstrate balance on a jump putt because you are outside of 10 meters when performing one.

You don't have to demonstrate balance on a jump putt because you are outside of 10 meters when performing one.

I understand this. But, new enforcement is saying that contact foot must remain in contact with ground until disc is released. I submit that this is also going to open a whole new can of worms for the average and even, some pro, players. In addition to carrying stop watch; all players will now have to carry video recorders with slow mo playback in order to determine whether or not disc was still in connection with fingers prior to plant foot leaving ground. lol

I understand this. But, new enforcement is saying that contact foot must remain in contact with ground until disc is released. I submit that this is also going to open a whole new can of worms for the average and even, some pro, players. In addition to carrying stop watch; all players will now have to carry video recorders with slow mo playback in order to determine whether or not disc was still in connection with fingers prior to plant foot leaving ground. lol

the rule hasn't changed. they are trying to change the prevailing culture of non-enforcement. another (misguided) effort in that respect is forcing all nt competitors to take a rules test. it may amount to something at the highest level of play but i'll be very surprised if anything changes at your local b or c tier.

old rule. its old enforcement as well. ive called many jump putts bad for that particular reason.....a lot of other people do to, in pdga events that is.
not to say it happens all the time, but the reasonable doubt concept doesnt apply in this case. if its that close to being considered a violation youve got to say something. it does take two people to call a violation like that and make it stick...and youve got seconds to make the call.....

so player shoots, doesn't tap back foot and a foot fault is called by two players

do he reshoot with or whithout a penalty?

ya know i used to think those tall socks were kinda hot, like when a catholic school girl is wearing them. But now i see some fat white guy trying to emulate nikko(my guess)Lacastro(who also looks like a homo) and it totally soured the whole fetish for me.
/sadface

Last edited:
so player shoots, doesn't tap back foot and a foot fault is called by two players

do he reshoot with or whithout a penalty?

No, I think you get penalized a stroke. You probably have to reshoot again even though the putt goes in. Anybody clarify?:\

No, I think you get penalized a stroke. You probably have to reshoot again even though the putt goes in. Anybody clarify?:\

"...a warning for the first violation..." " Subsequent violations of the stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty." "Re-throws must be taken from the original lie prior to subsequent play by others in the group."

Last edited:

Latest posts