• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New "Free Optional Relief" clarification

EricW

Bogey Member
On page 37 of the new 2018 Rule Book, there's a Minor Rule Changes summary.

The fifth items is...
A player may take free optional relief (back along the line of play) when placing the lie after taking penalty for OB or above 2 meters.

I can't find the actual rule in Rules section. Does anyone know what numbered rule it is?

It sounds like players can move back any distance along the line of play since they've already taken a stroke penalty. Is this right?

For example, can I move 5 meter back along the line of play to get away from a lake I just threw into? Or if I got 2-meter penalty in a very thick juniper, can I move 5 meter to get out of the reach of the branches?

attachment.php

Attachments

• FreeOptionalRelief.jpg
    FreeOptionalRelief.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 368
Seems like a good change, especially for the 2m situation. Sucks to take a penalty and still have to throw from jail.

Seems like a good change, especially for the 2m situation. Sucks to take a penalty and still have to throw from jail.

That's exactly why I'm curious. One of our local courses has the short thick junipers. Also a few lake bank OB boundaries are steep and slippery.

edit: But I can't find where this is actually allowed in the rules section.

Thanks Joe. I got tunnel visioned on obstacles when reading that section..

For the curious...
Thanks Joe. I got tunnel visioned on obstacles when reading that section..

For the curious... 803.02D is the optional relief rule, 803.02E is the free part

803 Obstacles and Relief --> 803.02 Relief from Obstacles
D. A player may elect at any time to take optional relief by declaring their intention
to the group. The lie may then be relocated by marking a new lie which is
farther from the target and on the line of play.
One penalty throw is added to the
player's score.

E. No penalty throw is added if optional relief is being taken following a penalty
taken for a disc out-of-bounds or above two meters.

Maybe I was hasty... There is a sketch on this PDGA page but it doesn't illustrate the "free optional relief".

This only shows the original OB marking rule...
806.02 D 2
A lie designated by a marker disc placed on the playing surface at any point
on a one-meter line that is perpendicular to the out-of-bounds line at the
point where the disc was last in-bounds

optional-relief-diagram-1-final.png

Maybe it's not clear in the diagram, but starting in 2018 the player may mark their lie on the green dashed Line of Play as far back as they want to with no additional penalty if they don't like the lie by the edge of the water where they went OB.

Maybe it's not clear in the diagram, but starting in 2018 the player may mark their lie on the green dashed Line of Play as far back as they want to with no additional penalty if they don't like the lie by the edge of the water where they went OB.

Emphasis on "back".

You cannot use the part of the green-dashed line that is closer to the target than the normal lie one meter in from OB.

Thanks Chuck. That was my understanding. Here's a better illustration for the optional relief rule 803.02D. Use as you wish.

attachment.php

I'm make another two for Optional Relief with OB and with 2-Meter.

Attachments

• Optional-Relief-Diagram 803.02D.png
    Optional-Relief-Diagram 803.02D.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 340
The distinction for Optional Relief in 2018 versus the current rule is rather than having to tack on another penalty to take Optional Relief AFTER taking a penalty for OB or 2m (because your lie was too tough), you can take relief farther back on the line of play to mark your lie with no further penalty.

Why iwas this made applicable for a 2 meter lie?

It's only applicable if the 2 meter penalty is in play. I believe the idea behind the rule is to allow for players to take optional relief without being doubly penalized.

Relief has always been available to players in previous incarnations of the rule book. Only to take it, one had to add a penalty throw on top of the penalty from being OB or being above 2 meters.

There have always been rules that prevent one from being double penalized (say missing a mando then landing OB or being suspended over 2 meters over an OB area). This is just another in that tradition.

As JC said, this option is to avoid double penalty scenario.

You should either have a crappy lie or take a penalty. Not both.

There will obviously be scenarios where both are impossible to avoid, but this does attempt to reduce this scenario.

It's also a safety thing - most creeks have some sort of fall of. Should help here and there with drops to not have to throw from the edge/ side of a fall off.

It only helps on creeks that are perpendicular to the fairways. Creeks that are parallel, not so much.

It only helps on creeks that are perpendicular to the fairways. Creeks that are parallel, not so much.

I was thinking that. Nearly all the course I play have more parallel hazards than perpendicular.

I can just see someone wanting to take relief on the other side of a pond! I think I'll let 'em.