• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy - really sore - lol

Venom93corba

Hey all, so I've been playing alot for a week or two and man my shoulder is really sore. I haven't really active a whole lot lately so I guessing it could be related to that but at 41 years old I must be really breaking down. I'm sure my technique sucks, I'm more of a "Grip it and Rip it" kind of guy but I think I need to really focus on my form. Anyways, hi from Toledo, OH.

Haha! I think we've all been there. Welcome to the addiction and to DGCR.

If you want to work on form, there are plenty of great resources on here. Another thing that can help is playing some bigger courses (where you need to throw hard on lots of holes) and a smaller "pitch and putt" course (where you can work on touch shots as well as smooth, comfortable form). It also benefits your shoulder/arm soreness and any finger blisters that might be showing up. Enjoy!

Pain and soreness is a great encouragement to find an easier on the body swing.

... also play smooth relaxed catch disc with disc golf putters if possible.

Thanks Mark. We just got back from playing and I got a chance to watch some really good players throw and their throws look effortless.

when you learn a little about form it helps you slow down and not try to throw everything as hard as you can. I'm 52 and am learning I can throw farther when I try to smooth everything out....

Shoulders are really complex and injury prone joints. I have achy shoulders from years of training (boxing, powerlifting, manual labor) and have found that the right warmups and regular maintenance work really do wonders.

One of the things I'd recommend is band exercises. Specifically band pull aparts and face pulls. I do them with high volume to offset all the pressing (bench press, overhead press) and my shoulders thank me. It also helps strengthen/stabilize the area around the thoracic spine, which will ease any compensation that the shoulders or the rest of the back might have to do, since everything is connected. Don't want any weak links in the kinetic chain.

Also if you haven't, check out Disc Golf Strong for some good ideas. One of my favorites is the warmup where you hold a disc with two hands and circle it around your head/face.

Welcome, enjoy the sport, and stay healthy.

Hey all, so I've been playing alot for a week or two and man my shoulder is really sore. I haven't really active a whole lot lately so I guessing it could be related to that but at 41 years old I must be really breaking down. I'm sure my technique sucks, I'm more of a "Grip it and Rip it" kind of guy but I think I need to really focus on my form. Anyways, hi from Toledo, OH.

well..yah..you don't want to grip and rip...your tendons for sure. Like others said, slow the heck way down.....slower....now even slower! Don't worry about distance or accuracy just go to a field or where ever and throw putters. Just relax and throw the putter on a straight, level line. 50-80 ft each toss is great. 100ft even better. You just want to initially start working on muscle memory doing a relaxed swing. It's amazing...this game looks like it needs strength, power, etc, to throw a disc, but you don't. Flexibility, short bursts of speed in our twitch muscles, is where it's at. I also don't recommend playing every day for players over 40. Try to drive every other day so you get a day of recovery. You can work on putting every day, but keep the drives to every other day for sure.

Set goals for sure. Try reaching 50ft on a straight level line, then the same thing at 100ft, 150ft, 200ft, 250ft, 300ft, but while still feeling relaxed and not feeling any pain.

Oh yah...HUGELY IMPORTANT! Stretch out before and after your disc golf playing!

Good luck!

It kind of depends what kind of shoulder soreness you're talking about. I assumed you meant standard muscle soreness (usually deltoid for me back when my form was worse and I started playing a lot), but it's more of a concern if there's joint pain like a lot of these guys are mentioning.

Either way, there's probably form stuff at play. I'm probably younger than you are, but not in my twenties anymore. Lately, I've been playing a lot but almost never get sore shoulders anymore, even playing ~90 holes per day for a couple days straight. Part of it is that my throwing muscles are getting stronger, but part of it is an improved form where I'm not "strong arming" as much. You mentioned watching guys throw really far with effortless throws. They're not strong arming at all; they just have a nice smooth swing plane in their arm/shoulders/spine that syncs up great with their core muscles, leg muscles, weight shift, bracing, etc.

Again, there's way too many resources on here if you really want to get into it. Some people post videos of form, or talk about what discs they're throwing and how they fly. It looks like you're also trying to get in touch with local guys who can help. That's always a good idea. Talking about stuff online is never as good as getting out on the course with some better players.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice. I definitely agree with not driving everyday right now as my shoulder could definitely use a day or two to recover. I remember seeing a video section in here that had a bunch of different tutorials categorized per person but I can't seem to find anymore. Anybody know where those gems are hidden?

Latest posts