• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Innova Stuff

This is going off memory and it is early in the morning. But aren't there three tops (PNA, Big Bead and 3), two noses (PNA and Big Bead) and three configurations of bead (no, small and big). I may be wrong on the tops. The PNA and the Big Bead might share the same top.

From what I understand of the Omega, the Omega is a PNA with a small bead and the big bead Omega is still a PNA but with a big bead (PNA nose still). No idea about Discmania. Part of the reason I seem to remember there are three tops is IIRC the first run big bead Omega has a big bead Aviar nose rather then a PNA nose with big bead added but still had a PNA top.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

What about the puddled Yeti top?

No idea on the Yeti or classic. I think the Aviar lineup is one of those unexplainable things in life.

This is going off memory and it is early in the morning. But aren't there three tops (PNA, Big Bead and 3), two noses (PNA and Big Bead) and three configurations of bead (no, small and big). I may be wrong on the tops. The PNA and the Big Bead might share the same top.

From what I understand of the Omega, the Omega is a PNA with a small bead and the big bead Omega is still a PNA but with a big bead (PNA nose still). No idea about Discmania. Part of the reason I seem to remember there are three tops is IIRC the first run big bead Omega has a big bead Aviar nose rather then a PNA nose with big bead added but still had a PNA top.

I only have a little experience with some of these molds, but if I remember correctly the older aviar small beads had a different nose/wing than the bigbeads. The bigbead/kc/jk/x is more blunt, while the small bead seemed a little more aerodynamic, had a sharper nose. I'm not sure about original omegas and what mold they used, but I have a Qmega(smallbead) and omega big bead, that have the more blunt nose. The omega3 is definitely an aviar3 with a smallish bead. My guess is that some of these "new 3/X"putters are going to be identical crossovers between brands.

Last edited:
The Omega3 is the better version of the Aviar3 for sure in D/P plastics. The stiffer plastic makes it faster and more torque resistant. It also has more fade. D-Aviar3's are more angle sensitive and have more flutter. They fade less when thrown straight.

I'm real curious to see how P3x's fly but not sure I need them in my bag. Theres probably not much difference between it and the Omega3.

Anyone notice 5x Yetis are softer and have less puddle top? Stiff 4x's have been my go to straight glide-y upshot discs.

On another note, thought about starting another topic about the new Star plastic. The stuff coming out with the embossed disc names is pretty weak. Hit one tree pretty hard with a brand new Wraith and it warped the entire disc. Anyone else have this issue?

The Omega3 is the better version of the Aviar3 for sure in D/P plastics. The stiffer plastic makes it faster and more torque resistant. It also has more fade. D-Aviar3's are more angle sensitive and have more flutter. They fade less when thrown straight.

I'm real curious to see how P3x's fly but not sure I need them in my bag. Theres probably not much difference between it and the Omega3.

Anyone notice 5x Yetis are softer and have less puddle top? Stiff 4x's have been my go to straight glide-y upshot discs.

On another note, thought about starting another topic about the new Star plastic. The stuff coming out with the embossed disc names is pretty weak. Hit one tree pretty hard with a brand new Wraith and it warped the entire disc. Anyone else have this issue?

I have some star destroyers from the first batch with the embossed name. Not sure if it's changed again since then.

It's a weird blend. Soft and kinda sticky. It's not my favorite but I don't hate it. I haven't had any issues with stability or durability.

"The AviarX3 is an overstable putt and approach disc designed to take on the wind. Our most overstable Aviar model to date, the AviarX3 is ideal for headwind upshots and drives. Aggressive backhand and forehand throws are a breeze—the AviarX3 is extremely torque-resistant. It has a similar grip and 3-series speed as the Aviar3 but with more high speed stability. Star AviarX3 Flight Numbers: 3, 2, 0, 3." - by Innova Disc Golf

aviarx3_1200.jpg

AviarX3

176.8g
21.3diameter
1.8height
1.6rim depth
19.3inside rim diameter
1.0 rim thickness

Last edited:
According to the 9/26 revision of the approved discs the Shark3 was approved 8/29/2017 :confused: Typo or retool?

None of the -3 series discs were on the approved list until just recently. Then they put the Roc3, Leo3, Shark3, etc. all the list all of a sudden. No idea why now. Given the different top mold piece, they should have been required to resubmit them before allowing McBeth to win championships with them. I'd guess there's some politics at play that we're not privy to between Innova and the PDGA that allowed them not to resubmit at the time, but is making them submit now.

None of the -3 series discs were on the approved list until just recently. Then they put the Roc3, Leo3, Shark3, etc. all the list all of a sudden. No idea why now. Given the different top mold piece, they should have been required to resubmit them before allowing McBeth to win championships with them. I'd guess there's some politics at play that we're not privy to between Innova and the PDGA that allowed them not to resubmit at the time, but is making them submit now.

Ah, that's right. I forgot about that. I'm sure a lot of manufacturers were scratching their heads wondering how Innova was getting away with it.

"The AviarX3 is an overstable putt and approach disc designed to take on the wind. Our most overstable Aviar model to date, the AviarX3 is ideal for headwind upshots and drives. Aggressive backhand and forehand throws are a breeze—the AviarX3 is extremely torque-resistant. It has a similar grip and 3-series speed as the Aviar3 but with more high speed stability. Star AviarX3 Flight Numbers: 3, 2, 0, 3." - by Innova Disc Golf

aviarx3_1200.jpg

AviarX3

176.8g
21.3diameter
1.8height
1.6rim depth
19.3inside rim diameter
1.0 rim thickness

When will they start showing the profiles??? That's all that matters.

AviarX3: looks like it might be going after the Zone/Harp slot?

They make it sound pretty OS, but similar grip to Aviar3 means no bead nor thumbtrack.

Huh, if it has the -3 series top and is actually beadless, then I guess that means maybe a new wing mold piece that's similar to the PandA's but blunter or more concave for added stability (like the Taurus and RocX3). One thing is odd though: in the PDGA specs, the rim configurations of the Aviar, Aviar 3, and AviarX3 are all the same. Seems like they would need to make it either blunter or more concave to add stability which would change the rim config (in theory at least). The RocX3 and Taurus both have a higher rim config number than a Roc or Roc3 because they are blunter. Strange that this doesn't as well. Could be interesting to compare this to a Rhyno or even a Pig.

Molding for the Pig always seemed troublesome, but back when they were more available I saw plenty of them on the course. This may be their solution to that issue.

Molding for the Pig always seemed troublesome, but back when they were more available I saw plenty of them on the course. This may be their solution to that issue.

Why would the molding for the Pig be troublesome? Or do you just mean that they've never been able to make a very good version in premium plastic?

Latest posts