• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] new md3

The day I decided that a really OS MD3 will not happen is the day I stopped worrying. The MD4 will be out eventually. Until then I can enjoy the solid trustworthiness of the Luster, the all-around do it all perfect stability of the flag glow for any kind of shot, and the cheat code for tunnel shots that is the P-MD3, without fretting over that none of them is stable enough. You know what I mean? ;)

I've now seen two videos this month by Dicmania "media partners" claiming the eagle glows are definitely OS and then go on to show video evidence it's not.
The lusters are the only ones that are true to flight numbers so far for me. The glows are cool but basically a beat in version.

I just bagged/tested some of the flat JL MD3 and there are NOT OS at all. When thrown hard, they hold the line very well, but then dont fade at the end. After a couple rounds and some field testing, I took them out and sold them.

I dont want a Gator OS, just want something with a predictable fade at the end. Right now, its the Buzzz OS thats filling that spot

The most stable MD3 you are going to find in my experience is a luster (blue specifically for me). Just notice I said stable and not over stable. The MD3 is not an OS mold. My luster can take full power throws from me (550' power) in a dead wind and fly straight to a stable finish. Add in any headwind and it wont hold up but that is why I still bag a gator. The MD3 will never replace a gator and that is why we are so ready for an MD4.

I just bagged/tested some of the flat JL MD3 and there are NOT OS at all. When thrown hard, they hold the line very well, but then dont fade at the end. After a couple rounds and some field testing, I took them out and sold them.

I dont want a Gator OS, just want something with a predictable fade at the end. Right now, its the Buzzz OS thats filling that spot
you want a verdict. i gave up on the MD3. if i powered it down it started fading too quickly, if i threw it full speed it was dead straight with no fade. switching to trilogy for mids. the compass does what i just described the MD3 does but longer, and the verdict is the true OS mid everyone wants the MD3 to be, but feels better in the hand.

When thrown properly a fresh MD3 should always fade at the end unless you are absolutely mashing on it. I find them to fly very very similar to a buzzz with a hint more LSS. I have no problem throwing my luster on a 350' hyzer line the entire flight.

The most stable MD3 you are going to find in my experience is a luster (blue specifically for me). Just notice I said stable and not over stable. The MD3 is not an OS mold.

Yeah, I may have even misspoke when I say that the Lusters are "true to flight numbers" cause even they might not be a real 3 in terms of fade.
All my lusters are green, except for one blue I'm saving and haven;t tried yet because I heard the same thing about them.
I don't have your power, but they are basically a decent straight-stable mid for me.
I use a Kaxe for midrange shots I need more fade anyway, so I'm cool with it.

Just don't get what these guys are thinking that do a whole review on the glows and don't seem to be even looking at their own footage. Meanwhile, I'm over here like:

I know what overstable is, especially in comparison to what is actually stable versus what is understable due to power, because I in general shy away from overstable discs. It just does not suit my game. I have a Harp for approaches when I need a solid finish, and I throw a Firebird for my thumbers and hurricane-level winds.

With that said, MD3s are not overstable. I barely consider Verdicts overstable, and even then, I am reluctant to say that because they hold an incredible stable flight until the last 15% of the flight where they finally fade in. I started packing MD3s simply because I wanted something that could about the same power as the Verdict but had less of a fade - which in turn allows it to hold anhyzers longer without bailing out or having to over-torque it.

For reference-sake, I mainly throw the Production Cs and Glow Cs (non-Eagle).

With the couple rounds and the field testing I did, Im happy with how the Buzzz OS is flying for me. OS without being dumpy. Kinda what I wanted/expected the MD3 to be.

With the couple rounds and the field testing I did, Im happy with how the Buzzz OS is flying for me. OS without being dumpy. Kinda what I wanted/expected the MD3 to be.

To be quite honest the buzzz os got me back to a discraft mid setup. I've done rocs lately and needed the beefy roc, not a gator. Tried md3s when the lusters came out, the straight mid with hard fade is what I had been needing and missing. Buzzz os is longer than a zone for me and the fade isn't quite as hard, perfect disc between a zone and firebird.

I've loved rocs backhand but hated them forehand. Buzzz variants I can do both with well, md3 is just kind of there in the middle somewhere. As much as I try to like it I can't bag it, just like the fd.

Hum. I may have to pull back a little on my statement of the Luster MD3 being overstable. I threw it twice about 80 meters dead straight. Pretty low line, yes, but not an iota of fade on those shots. I was really counting on it to fade a little before the end to the pin, but overshot it both times.

Nice video.

That "am" kid isn't going to stay an "am"; he's got some good form and power.

I am the "am" in the video. I need to work on putting first, and get my accuracy and consistency up. Thanks!

Disc Golf Examiner has a lot of awesome material coming up and in the past. CD3 video coming very soon.

The md3 was fun to throw. Could easily be a workhorse mid for people's bags. Not super overstable, but I liked it.

How do C-MD3s compare to Champion Roc3s? Obviously the Roc3 has a bead. Are they close to being the same stability? I have very little experience with the MD3.

How do C-MD3s compare to Champion Roc3s? Obviously the Roc3 has a bead. Are they close to being the same stability? I have very little experience with the MD3.

My C-MD3 flies very similarly to my Champ Roc3s: straight with some fade at the end. I'd probably be bagging the MD3 if I hadn't come across the Ti Buzzz...

I'd echo that as well: CMD3 and Champ Roc3xs are very similar. Same with McRocs and PMD3s.

MD3s have a little micro bead.

I actually stopped baghing my MD3 because I already bag a Shimmer Roc3 and a Fuzion Verdict that cover the shots I used the MD3 for but with more stability. The MD3 is basically a micro bead Roc3 or a Buzzz with a micro bead that is more OS than a normal Buzzz.

Latest posts