• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] new md3

With the MD4's release, Discmania finally adjusted the flight ratings on the MD3. Officially listed now as a 5/5/0/2. (Honestly, in most plastics, I'd list it as a 5/5/-1/2) I wonder if this makes the older stamped original flight ratings "collectors" items. ;)

Thanks for the info. Reason I ask is because I need a red one (should grab a couple when available) or swap colors with another disc in my bag. OCD is a Biatch

I just watched Eagle McMahon's What's In The Bag, filmed after he won Konopiste (sp?). He has several MD3s, and I suspect they'll get popular, and more scarce, as more people watch that video.

It is a great disc, but I am shocked he hasn't switched to MD4s. That was a really good ITB, I like the infographics they used. I imagine discmania is popular enough to build their own facility now, I wonder why they continue to contract through Innova if they are being limited in production.

It is a great disc, but I am shocked he hasn't switched to MD4s. That was a really good ITB, I like the infographics they used. I imagine discmania is popular enough to build their own facility now, I wonder why they continue to contract through Innova if they are being limited in production.

I'm assuming cost is the major reason, but every one of their molds except the fd shares a mold piece with an innova disc and I'd be surprised if innova would just allow them to continue using their mold pieces if they(innova) weren't the ones producing the discs and making money

I'm assuming cost is the major reason, but every one of their molds except the fd shares a mold piece with an innova disc and I'd be surprised if innova would just allow them to continue using their mold pieces if they(innova) weren't the ones producing the discs and making money

That doesn't stop other companies from making the same exact mold pieces, look at all of the aviar and teebird clones out there

I can't speak as much for the aviar, but none of the teebird clones quite replicate that magical flight.

As far as them molding their own stuff, I would guess the only way that would be remotely close to possible would be something along the lines of them purchasing the equipment and having their own setup in the warehouse where they aren't competing for machine time.

That doesn't stop other companies from making the same exact mold pieces, look at all of the aviar and teebird clones out there

How many tries/years did it take the Trilogy brands to make a Teebird that some people like similarly?

Imagine if a company then started making every disc from new molds simultaneously. I already thought the whole runs thing with DM discs was way more picky than I want to be, I couldn't imagine the situation with pre/post changing all molds and manufacturing location as well.

How many tries/years did it take the Trilogy brands to make a Teebird that some people like similarly?

Imagine if a company then started making every disc from new molds simultaneously. I already thought the whole runs thing with DM discs was way more picky than I want to be, I couldn't imagine the situation with pre/post changing all molds and manufacturing location as well.

They could start small, make a new mold. Let's say MD5. Start producing it on their own equipment, but still contract the other discs out to Innova. Once they get the whole process down they can make a new mold with a similar wing to the [name of unpopular mold], but try to fix the issues that make it unpopular. basically step by step build upon their current offering while replacing discs of low popularity with models that work better or just differently and just replace the name. Having worked in production environments for about 5 years now, everything in R&D is a very slow methodical process. Nothing will happen over night, but the long term benefits will be worth it and it will allow them to grow the sport on their own rather than relying on a competitor who has no real motivation to help them out, other than being a filler for production time. Just my two cents.

I can't speak as much for the aviar, but none of the teebird clones quite replicate that magical flight.

As far as them molding their own stuff, I would guess the only way that would be remotely close to possible would be something along the lines of them purchasing the equipment and having their own setup in the warehouse where they aren't competing for machine time.

From what I have been told, the Lat64 Explorer is dead on.

All told I would just like the chance to purchase a P-Line MD3 anytime that I need a replacement. Instead I will just have to buy several when they become available. Not a terrible alternative, just slightly inconvenient.

I doubt they would ever split. It's a symbiotic relationship and even though we would love more of our beloved DM discs on the shelves I'd be willing to bet innova is not hogging production time at all. The p2 sells more units than every avair mold. It's all about demand folks.

As demand for DM continues to increase we will see more stock. Europe already gets runs that we don't because I would imagine there is more demand there per capita.

What slot in the bag does an MD3 fill? workhorse or OS? Is it longer as far as mids go? Ala emac truth etc. or more of a true midrange?

What slot in the bag does an MD3 fill? workhorse or OS? Is it longer as far as mids go? Ala emac truth etc. or more of a true midrange?

Workhorse. Not longer than the Buzzz and Roc3, as far as those mids go, but it's competitive with them.

Just got an Eagle MD3 and it's money. Touch longer than the Claymores that I currently bag. Feels great in the hand. Does have a slight dome. Seems to hold up to wind better as well.

Workhorse. Not longer than the Buzzz and Roc3, as far as those mids go, but it's competitive with them.

I've found the opposite- I can actually put an MD3 quite a bit longer than a Roc3. On a hard throw I'm getting fairway driver distance on the MD3, but at the same time it's controllable and workable at slower speeds as well.

Ok, so I got ahold of a P-Line. It is more like DX than Pro plastic. In fact, it has no rubber texture at all. Reminds me of the high impact plastic they use for cheap knife handles. Not very grippy, but I hope that changes with wear. Is this what I should be feeling from a Stiff P-Line plastic?

Latest posts