• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New plastic rant

Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Touché!
I actually can throw a destroyer/boss/groove 500+ feet. i actually can turn an xcalliber over. i bought those discs for the same reason most people do... to see what they did. to see how much better they made me. thats what i needed to learn. it's not the discs that play the golfer, it's the golfer that plays the discs. and in the end the speed did not translate to better golf. it translated to more bogies. it translated to less accuracy. it translated to less constancy. when i put the wraith back in my bag i played better golf. so thats why i'm getting rid of them.... their shit... it was something i learned. something that i hope will stay with me... i have all the discs i need. and if i loose one or if one becomes to beat to play with... than i will replace it with the same mold... it will only help my game.
now if you could only learn to throw an overstable disc once in a while you could be set :p and you'll have to show me 500+ sometime :wink: (id say 450)

i don't need to learn anything. i've thrown firebirds, whippets, banshees, teebirds, Eagles (and no i'm not talking about my EL), ect. i know how... i prefer a more predictable flight, i prefer adding hyzer if i need it.
overstable = predictable, something that you can flip if you throw it too hard or if its a tad too windy is the opposite. and you most likely do need to learn something cuz even with your huge ass arm i can still beat you at least 50% of the time :p

Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Touché!
I actually can throw a destroyer/boss/groove 500+ feet. i actually can turn an xcalliber over. i bought those discs for the same reason most people do... to see what they did. to see how much better they made me. thats what i needed to learn. it's not the discs that play the golfer, it's the golfer that plays the discs. and in the end the speed did not translate to better golf. it translated to more bogies. it translated to less accuracy. it translated to less constancy. when i put the wraith back in my bag i played better golf. so thats why i'm getting rid of them.... their shit... it was something i learned. something that i hope will stay with me... i have all the discs i need. and if i loose one or if one becomes to beat to play with... than i will replace it with the same mold... it will only help my game.
now if you could only learn to throw an overstable disc once in a while you could be set :p and you'll have to show me 500+ sometime :wink: (id say 450)

i don't need to learn anything. i've thrown firebirds, whippets, banshees, teebirds, Eagles (and no i'm not talking about my EL), ect. i know how... i prefer a more predictable flight, i prefer adding hyzer if i need it.
overstable = predictable, something that you can flip if you throw it too hard or if its a tad too windy is the opposite. and you most likely do need to learn something cuz even with your huge ass arm i can still beat you at least 50% of the time

oh snap!

I'm all ears on this one. The guy who taught me how to play throws between 450 and 550 w/RHBH where as I throw RHFH and was maxing out around 360 and now I'm down to about 315-320 since I took 5 months off.

Anyway, he sold me on all these fast discs that he likes to throw, so in my bag I have a boss, x-caliber, destroyer, monarch, force, max, orc, and avenger SS.

Before that, my bag consisted of t-rex, firebird, wraith, beast, and orc.

With my current technique, I can get the max to fly straight with a slight turnover. it will hold the line and then come out with a good fade, same for the Xcaliber but it goes further than my max. My Destroyer will turnover and hold for a while before fading back, as will my orc. A beast or Avenger SS will turn over and hold for a while before coming back at the end.

The force is my big S-Curve disc. If I need to get a little more D, or it absolutely has to come back on an windy day, I can throw a good Anni and it will hold before coming out, taking a nice glide and finishing hard on the fade.

I look at my max D and think "should I even be throwing these?" Don't get me wrong, I've made them work for me, but wonder what kind of improvement I can get by dialing down a little. I know I played a round with just my Avenger SS and it made me have to alter my technique, and it was for the better. I try not to roll my wrist, and usually do it when I really try to crank it out there. And if I do get a good rip and not roll it over, it only results in an extra 20 feet or so versus a more controlled drive.

So who knows, maybe it's time to retune my bag.

I will say that I was playing some of my best golf just over a year ago before I made switches to some of these newer, faster discs.

Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Touché!

overstable = predictable, something that you can flip if you throw it too hard or if its a tad too windy is the opposite. and you most likely do need to learn something cuz even with your huge ass arm i can still beat you at least 50% of the time :p

Jesse, i have my off days, i will admit and you have your on days. let me know when you shoot better than 13 down at crane creek. but anyways, any disc will flip if it's thrown hard even a firebird or an xcaliber. i can't tell you how many times i've watched golfers end up short and way left of the pin because their shit was to stable.

Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Touché!

Jesse, i have my off days, i will admit and you have your on days. let me know when you shoot better than 13 down at crane creek. but anyways, any disc will flip if it's thrown hard even a firebird or an xcaliber. i can't tell you how many times i've watched golfers end up short and way left of the pin because their shit was to stable.

Isn't that indicative of OAT? Or are you really just throwing the bejeezus out of them?

I can flip my leopard!

Dx though, not champ. 8)

Murdoc Loch said:

statements like the first one will win you very little respect around here. Just ask anyone about Matt. People will jump all over you on these boards if your attitude is going to be like that.

As for the second statement, try this instead: Throw a 400' sweeping hyzer with a sidewinder. Takes a lot more skill than turning over a xcal.

The only person I've ever heard of actually throwing a premium Firebird fast enough to flip it naturally was Garrett Gurthie's mutant brother Evan. He doesn't really play, but still throws farther than his brother, who throws farther than everyone else. Total freak.

victorb said:
Murdoc Loch said:

statements like the first one will win you very little respect around here. Just ask anyone about Matt. People will jump all over you on these boards if your attitude is going to be like that.

As for the second statement, try this instead: Throw a 400' sweeping hyzer with a sidewinder. Takes a lot more skill than turning over a xcal.

i'll agree..even tho i dont come close to those distances i play with many who can..and im always more impressed with a controlled 400ft drive than i am with an all out 475 huck..

My distance is 300-350 feet.

I use the Boss on 1 hole. I have to hit a 20 foot window 75 foot from the tee and then bank hard left. And have glide as it is slightly uphill. The Boss gets me 25 foot closer than my Teebird. And THAT is the difference between a Par and a birdie.

I would rather "throw" a Boss that obviously I am too inept to throw.

What truly hurts disc golf are those pretentious assholes who think they are some kind of disc god telling everyone what they can and cannot throw. I freakin hate playing with guys who look down their snotty-ass noses a ridicule players. Hell, the next hole is almost the same distance and I throw a Roc. I have even used the Boss as a (gasp!) approach forehand to get out of trouble before.

Get a grip. This is the exact attitude that makes ball golf so annoying. Country club bullshit.

Aaron_D said:
I handed someone my thrashed, warped, dx roc once...they looked at it and actually murmerred "disgusting".

while the roc fanatics here on DGR might pop some tents for that :D

i've got as much to learn as the next guy. it was not my intention to come off as a snob/pretentious asshole. but you know what they say about opinions.... just to clarify i do not look down on other golfers or their technique. i play with lots of great golfers that have completely different styles than me and it works for them. if it works for you than thats great. i was making a critique of golfers who are always trying to fix their game with new shit instead of just working on form or consistency. i know a guy who putts with a roc and he's one of the best putters i know. i know another guy who rolls his putter off the teebox of 400 foot holes and birdies them. if it's not broke don't fix it, that is all i was saying.

M

discdawg said:

I use the Boss on 1 hole. I have to hit a 20 foot window 75 foot from the tee and then bank hard left. And have glide as it is slightly uphill. The Boss gets me 25 foot closer than my Teebird. And THAT is the difference between a Par and a birdie.

What truly hurts disc golf are those pretentious assholes who think they are some kind of disc god telling everyone what they can and cannot throw. I freakin hate playing with guys who look down their snotty-ass noses a ridicule players. Hell, the next hole is almost the same distance and I throw a Roc. I have even used the Boss as a (gasp!) approach forehand to get out of trouble before.

Get a grip. This is the exact attitude that makes ball golf so annoying. Country club bullshit.

There is a difference between being a pretentious asshole and trying to teach good habits you know.

Frank_Delicious said:
discdawg said:

There is a difference between being a pretentious asshole and trying to teach good habits you know.

Yeah, a student.

Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Murdoc Loch said:
Touché!

crane creek = the worst test of skill ever, let me know when you beat me in a tourney :wink: (not one yet). just to clarify i was only saying that you need an overstable disc in your bag and maybe to choose to throw it now and again when the situation is right NOT saying that you lack the skill to do so or that you need more stable discs for distance, you are a great golfer and i admire your d but most often when i see you fail on a hole its just a disc selection error more than a throwing error, just because you CAN make a shot with a disc doesnt mean that there isnt a more consistent option

discdawg said:
Frank_Delicious said:
discdawg said:

Yeah, a student.

hahahaha! awesome.

to be clear Murdoch and i know each other and are friends so any shit talking between us is of friendly variety, hes not too much of an asshole :wink:

discspeed said:
The only person I've ever heard of actually throwing a premium Firebird fast enough to flip it naturally was Garrett Gurthie's mutant brother Evan. He doesn't really play, but still throws farther than his brother, who throws farther than everyone else. Total freak.

...I'm picturing Sloth from The Goonies...if we give him a baby ruth will he flip my Z Xtreme?