• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player, go easy on me!

Actually, I just started reading it. The whole whipping arm thing...whoa...

THATS my problem! I've been using my arm 100%, I actually did a few "throws" (I didn't let go) using the method explained in that thread, and I feel like I could get WAY more power out of that style of throw. I can't wait to get out and practice it tomorrow!

Just to echo some of the other comments posted ... don't get too wrapped up in the minutia of getting your body parts into specific planes during the entire throwing motion. Focus your energies on learning good fundamentals ... a shortened x-step where you get your hips turned away from your target, accelerating your arm across your chest while driving your hips forward, and rotating completely through the entire motion so that your off-hand whips around on its own. Watch as many videos of the top pros as you can to see what good fundamentals look like. There are MANY different body types, and finding a motion that works for you is the most important thing. The key for me was just slowing everything down ... I see many casual players literally running up the tee pad, getting their balance completely out of whack, thinking faster equals farther. IT DOESN'T. I'm just walking up, rotating my body away from the target, and then accelerating back towards it. I'm balanced, slow and smooth, and equalling their throws with a distance driver with a putter.

I'll admit that my major technique flaw is accelerating and rotating too slowly or too quickly and not getting to where my release point should be to hit the flight line I want. But I know when I'm doing it, and how to correct it within a hole or two.

Good luck. It takes practice, but that first throw when you get the good snap is going to feel great.

Thanks Craig. Yeah, I'm trying to get the fundamentals of the throw down, then tune it so its comfortable to me. I'm just praying for good weather so I can get out and throw some plastic!

Jak3 said:
Try to rotate on ball of your foot.
This of course depends on the player, but most people feel that they get a faster pivot when rotating on the heel and less knee strain. Just about every long thrower I've ever seen rotates on the heel, not the ball.

jubuttib said:
Jak3 said:
This of course depends on the player, but most people feel that they get a faster pivot when rotating on the heel and less knee strain. Just about every long thrower I've ever seen rotates on the heel, not the ball.

I've noticed that too, I guess it's whatever is comfortable to the thrower! As long as you get the pivot, it shouldn't really matter if its heel or toe.

I've got more mileage than you so mileage may vary due to my wear and tear. I've got a busted ankle and am on sick leave after having the busted ankle swell so badly that i couldn't put much weight on the leg on Monday. I suspect it was from no speed heel pivot attempts.

I pivot on the ball of the foot and even though the results haven't been publicized for everyone the measurements of top Norwegian players confirmed that toe to heel roll then heel pivot is better than ball of the foot pivot for added power generation. I have gotten some pain in the knee but i run like mad. 2008 world champion Dave Feldberg said to me that ball of the foot pivot breaks the leg and i should stop doing that.

I tried heel pivots on Saturday last week on slippery surface with a moderate ankle brace on and i felt less resistance with the heel pivot than ball of the foot pivot. So i imagine that heel pivot is indeed easier on the body. My injury doesn't seem to like raising of the toes from the ground one bit. To bleeding internally. I'm screwed.

There is one exception where ball of the foot pivot is on average safer. I picked ball of the foot pivot because of my natural tee home course. It is so uneven and with many uphill tees that i can't raise the ball of the foot high enough (even before my ankle injury) to clear objects. That means stopping the pivot short as if being flat footed. Yeowww! Even being healthy and younger that felt bad indeed.

jubuttib said:
Jak3 said:

I just say that because ive personally have been jamming my foot alot rotating on my heel. Been getting bad shin splints. I think its from lifting my toes and foot up when i wanna rotate on my heel. Its sore in the shoe lace area and shin..

If its not causing pain i guess do what works.

Seems like getting weight forward is easier on the balls.

Jak3 said:
jubuttib said:
Jak3 said:

I just say that because ive personally have been jamming my foot alot rotating on my heel. Been getting bad shin splints. I think its from lifting my toes and foot up when i wanna rotate on my heel. Its sore in the shoe lace area and shin..

If its not causing pain i guess do what works.

Seems like getting weight forward is easier on the balls.

How does she respond when you tell her that? :lol:

The pivot foot is something I would recommend working on. The reason I say this is that I use to not do this. I could still throw 400, but I always knew my pivot was bad. I actually think I wasn't really pivoting at all. 2 weeks ago it caught up to me. I was doing the right pec drill and the fact of not pivoting ending up spraining my knee. Now 2 weeks later I am finally able to start throwing again. The first thing I am going to do is practice pivoting on my heel. However, I know it is going to take some time to get comfortable with it.

Sounds to me (for those who can relate) that pivoting in disc golf is like sliding in bowling. I'm big into bowling, I go a few times a week, I average about 190-200, and I know how important it is to slide, if you don't you risk serious knee injury. Guess I've got some work to do this week. I've already got 2 rounds planned with some friends next week. I'll probably play another round or 2 by myself. We shall see.

Thanks for all the help fellas, much appreciated!

Okay, update and new video. I think I got the heel pivot pretty good, it's the whipping of the arm I'm having trouble with. I'm also having a lot of discs turn over and go anhyzer, Although I can get the Leopard and Buzzz I got to go pretty darn straight. Discs like Nukes, Avengers, Wahoo, Surge SS all just go WAY to the right. I had some good throws that broke 300', mostly with the Katana, I was hitting about 315' - 320'

I did this one in slow-mo, sorry for the wind noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufz5bklvajs

big time improvement ... looks like you're actually THROWING rather than just letting go of the disc. IMO, still just a bit too casual with your walk-up (but that may be a function of the slo-mo). Focus on accelerating your arm across your chest. Then try to determine if you're either 1) changing the angle of the disc in your hand OR changing your wrist angle during the throw. Both can lead to anhyzer throws, but the first you do on purpose, and the second you don't.

Craig Smolin said:
big time improvement ... looks like you're actually THROWING rather than just letting go of the disc. IMO, still just a bit too casual with your walk-up (but that may be a function of the slo-mo). Focus on accelerating your arm across your chest. Then try to determine if you're either 1) changing the angle of the disc in your hand OR changing your wrist angle during the throw. Both can lead to anhyzer throws, but the first you do on purpose, and the second you don't.

Good to hear I improved! When you say too casual with my walk up, you want me to speed it up, or was that just saying I'm too casual, so I need to accelerate my arm across my chest?

Latest posts