• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player, side arm is further than backhand?

maverickpixel

Hey all

Ive been playing for a few weeks now and luckily i have a course right near my house so ive been playing alot ( 2-3 times a week). Right now i have a sidewinder, sting and predator as my drivers.

i throw the predator the best ( just lost it today :( ) mostly all side arm.

the sidewinder i cannot throw side arm.. it automatically turns over, a full 180

the sting is a soft plastic and i find that the disc bends as im throwing it and becomes unstable.

Right now my furthest side arm drive is about 400 ft. Ill average around 300-350 and my back hand is around 250-300 if i dont wave the disc into the air. I really dont know what im doing wrong... i understand why my side arm is further, i played basebally my whole life and can still probably throw 75 side arm. But ive noticed that nearly all the pros backhand big drives.

Is anyone have any suggestions on how to get my back hand up?

also i bought some faster discs to see if im overpower my backhand/forehand

Thanks

-Michael

Welcome.

Sidearm or forehand is harder on the joints but good FH throwers can do good things with the FH. It's a great tool to have and 300-400' is very high level, particularly for just getting started.

You are fortunate to start with such a capable FH. Mist struggle with both BH and FH when starting out. You are way ahead. Developing your BH is necessary and takes time. It's a series of movements that all have to come together that most have never done before.

Sidewinder is forum form guru—posts lots of info and videos on form. Check it out. Keep working that BH and by the time the weather gets good you'll have both tools.

But playing is as much or more about accuracy and shot shaping as it is distance. Don't forget to work you short game and putting. I'm finding working on 100-200' is helo ping drives as much as trying to throw max distance.

also i bought some faster discs to see if im overpower my backhand/forehand

Thanks

-Michael

You aren't overpowering anything throwing 250-300 off the tee so I would not use anything over a 9 speed at this point BH. You are probably doing the same things most new players do - throwing nose up, poor footwork, poor weight shift and bracing, rounding instead of getting the disc tight to the chest, etc.

Go into the form and technique forum and look for videos showing good form and start working on some drills posted there. You don't have a bunch of bad habits to break so you should be able to make drastic improvement quickly if you learn some of the fundamentals of proper form.

Welcome.

Sidearm or forehand is harder on the joints but good FH throwers can do good things with the FH. It's a great tool to have and 300-400' is very high level, particularly for just getting started.

You are fortunate to start with such a capable FH. Mist struggle with both BH and FH when starting out. You are way ahead. Developing your BH is necessary and takes time. It's a series of movements that all have to come together that most have never done before.

Sidewinder is forum form guru—posts lots of info and videos on form. Check it out. Keep working that BH and by the time the weather gets good you'll have both tools.

But playing is as much or more about accuracy and shot shaping as it is distance. Don't forget to work you short game and putting. I'm finding working on 100-200' is helo ping drives as much as trying to throw max distance.

Thanks, ill check out sidewinders stuff! Yeah my mid game and putting need work, esp my putting... I still dont understand how people can push put from so far away.

You aren't overpowering anything throwing 250-300 off the tee so I would not use anything over a 9 speed at this point BH. You are probably doing the same things most new players do - throwing nose up, poor footwork, poor weight shift and bracing, rounding instead of getting the disc tight to the chest, etc.

Go into the form and technique forum and look for videos showing good form and start working on some drills posted there. You don't have a bunch of bad habits to break so you should be able to make drastic improvement quickly if you learn some of the fundamentals of proper form.

Yeah i figured i shouldnt get anything too fast... but besides wanting to try new discs i was reading that the predator throws like a faster disc at a 9, and since my sidewinder would just flip over if i threw it side arm i figured i was over powering it. I thought the flip was from disc angle but i could never get it to work... Same thing with the sting, if i threw at about 30% it would fly, anything much above it would go crazy.

Thanks! ill check out the form videos, i have a feeling im swinging my BH like a baseball bat :D