• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Putter for Tournaments?

Justin Daniel

I'm playing in my first torney next weekend. I've been practicing putting with 4 putters. I have a brand new one I was kind of saving for the tournament so it has that nice fresh feeling in my hand. Is this a bad idea? Should I practice with it a little bit first?

I've thrown new ones in for a tourney but they were exactly like something I already threw. The only downside is if you have a broken in putter that flies straighter and used as a main putter...don't switch that out until the new one is worn in some...otherwise more adjustment is necessary to make a putt drop.

I would at least practice with it a little bit, if only to confirm that it flies exactly like the ones you currently use.

I don't typically play tournies with a putter I don't have a lot of practice with. Its a mental thing for me. If I have a bad miss with a new putter during tournament play I will majorly get in my own head about it

I've thrown new putters in tournaments, but only if it fit in my normal rotation. I usually have one pretty new putter in bag, so tossing one in brand new is never that much of a shock.

If all of your practice has been with more and more beat up discs, a brand new one will not fly the same (which kind of negates the practice).

At the very least throw some warm-up putts before the tourney with your new disc. If it's flying well then use it, if not then use something else.

Thanks everyone. I did decide to break out the new one last week to practice with it a bit. It is the same mold and weight, but I see what you mean about beat in practice discs potentially flying a little different than a brand new one.

Latest posts