• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] New Putter Prototype (Chief)

disctildeath

Eagle Member
Who has seen the pics for the new proto Gateway putter? Supposed to be a flat, overstable, low profile putter in the spirit of the Pig or Zone (Dom from Gateway posted pics on the Gateway collectors page on FB earlier). Seriously hope they get a batch in RFF, those will be absolute money during those wet, cold, crappy weather rounds.

I saw those, and I am very excited. First disc in a while to really peak my interest.

Reptilian disc golf bought up a bunch of the protos. I'll be back to review tomorrow or Sunday. Should have some to sell too if they don't get plucked up at the tourney this weekend.

Sweet baby jeebus this is way overdue. I've said on here several times over the years gateway needs a low profile overstable preferably non beaded putter.

Should have them up this weekend. About to put one up on the auction page on FB. Should be a good show...lol.

So stoked that these are a thing. I have average hands and have always wanted a shallow wizard. Gateway has done that and more.

I use a Harp for this, but Gatways rubbery blends are so nice. Make a Pink RFF and I'll probably bag it.

So is that how these things are flying? Wizard-like?

I had a change to throw mine side by side with a wizard. I personally feel they are a Tad less OS than the wizard for driving. This could be from the difference in glide. These don't glide nearly as well, so they drop out of the sky quicker so they lack that easy wizard fade.

I think these will kick the wizard out of my back for driving.The lost in distance was marginal, but the shallow depth felt amazing in my hands.

I think the Envy is a pretty good comparison, just in grippier plastic.

Considering picking one of these up to add to my wizards and zone. It would gap perfectly between them. I hope this has a ton of LSS. I really need a putter that will finish hard at the end for those short hyzer putts that my wizard wont hyzer enough for. around a tree mostly.

A fresh chief def. have a good amount of LSS. After using mine exclusively this weekend however it's quickly seasoned into a dead straight flyer. I agree with Geo that the chief is a slight bit less HSS than the wizard as it can get a little turn on a rip but overall it's a rock solid disc. My most used chief is also a SSS feeling blend whereas most have been in the firm SS range.
I am really enjoying mine for low ceiling approaches, window hyzers and putter skips. Overall I think these can coexist with wizards bc the py can achieve similar distance and lines, albeit with a different height & speed. I will say I am throwing my chief a lot farther than my wizards, but wizards are a tick too deep for me, thus losing a bit of confidence in my grip. Great mold off the tee.

In the circle, however, the chief is simply too fast. Blow bys are very easy to achieve and without giving it enough pop, you'll fade off early. I don't see these being a go to putting for too many players. I would imagine the cut through so would also become common occurrence bc of the slim profile.

Verdict: amazing driving putter for the masses. Really shallow & EASY to throw distance lines w/ control. Going to be a very versatile disc off the tee for short drives. I've parked holes using it from sweeping hyzers to panning annys and everything in between. In the circle, it doesn't come close to matching it's legendary brother (Wiz). I also love than the width of two Chiefs are about the same bag space as one wizard!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when these will become more readily available? I am super interested after hearing the reviews.

A fresh chief def. have a good amount of LSS. After using mine exclusively this weekend however it's quickly seasoned into a dead straight flyer. I agree with Geo that the chief is a slight bit less HSS than the wizard as it can get a little turn on a rip but overall it's a rock solid disc. My most used chief is also a SSS feeling blend whereas most have been in the firm SS range.
I am really enjoying mine for low ceiling approaches, window hyzers and putter skips. Overall I think these can coexist with wizards bc the py can achieve similar distance and lines, albeit with a different height & speed. I will say I am throwing my chief a lot farther than my wizards, but wizards are a tick too deep for me, thus losing a bit of confidence in my grip. Great mold off the tee.

In the circle, however, the chief is simply too fast. Blow bys are very easy to achieve and without giving it enough pop, you'll fade off early. I don't see these being a go to putting for too many players. I would imagine the cut through so would also become common occurrence bc of the slim profile.

Verdict: amazing driving putter for the masses. Really shallow & EASY to throw distance lines w/ control. Going to be a very versatile disc off the tee for short drives. I've parked holes using it from sweeping hyzers to panning annys and everything in between. In the circle, it doesn't come close to matching it's legendary brother (Wiz). I also love than the width of two Chiefs are about the same bag space as one wizard!

Very good review, thanks for it.

Didn't Gateway already make a disc by the name of the Chief?

I believe they did. It was a wizard molded in a higher end plastic in the early 2000's I believe. Correct me if I am mistaken.

I believe the demon formerly had the name scout.

I believe they did. It was a wizard molded in a higher end plastic in the early 2000's I believe. Correct me if I am mistaken.

I believe the demon formerly had the name scout.

you are correct. the first chief was a wizard in the now oop h plastic. the first scout was a demon in the same h plastic. the h plastic felt similar to innovas pro plastic the the fl and tl were run in.

I got a stack of these yesterday and took them to a field with two other friends. The consensus is that it is a great driving putter/slow mid. It has a unique HSS. I could throw it dead straight with no turn from 100-200', when I pushed it to 300' I got a little turn but it still faded at the end. I would say the LSS is moderate. It fades less than a new Rhyno at the same distance. I love driving with my Pro Rhynos, but the Chief was even straighter and a little longer. I don't see it replacing my Rhynos, but if I lost my stack of Rhynos tomorrow I'd be buying Chiefs to replace them.

In the hand I really thought it was going to be a Zone, but it is surprisingly straight with moderate fade. My two friends want me to order them 5 each because they love the flight. It is an awesome disc.

Latest posts