• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New TD. What should I expect?

Volunteer at other local tournaments to help out nothing better on how to learn the ropes then to help assist a veteran td.

Do an OB sheet in writing and make sure each player gets them. that saves you the trouble of forgetting to say something in the meeting and makes sure every player gets the same info - hard to claim they didnt know something was OB and that you didn't say it if its on a sheet.

If you have never seen something happen ever in your life on a hole, it will happen during the event.

Make sure you have every possible situation covered on that sheet. While it might be crazy to think someone throws in a parking lot 100 feet behind a tee or 300 feet past a hole, make sure it's covered.

My local course has a creek and the other side of that creek is off park property and the HOA there has been very clear they don't want patrons in the park going across the creek into their property to retreive discs. They have a "call this number and get it and we will take care of it" policy. In 20 years of playing this course, I've literally never seen a single person go that far left that they got to this creek, much less crossed it. But you better believe that on my sheet I give out it has what needs to happen should that happen.

Last tournament I played in was at Whispering falls, PA, and they had a printed sheet. THANK GOD! We must have checked that thing 20 times to make sure we were keeping within the tourney rules. There will only be OB on 1,4,11,14,and 18 so that will be printed on the score card describing instructions for each hole.

Finally got a hold of Parks and Rec and well will be running the tournament under their name so they will have it cover in the insurance department. I'm just excited that I can start going around to local businesses now. We're going to ask to sponsor holes in different packages from basic this hole sponsored by to getting all the participants to sign the Club disc to be given to that sponsor. The two Ice Bowls I played did that and they looked fantastic.

Now all I have to do stay focused on the rest of this semester while getting all this done.

The boy scout idea is genius, I do have good relationships with some of the local groups. Considering I work at a Boys and Girls Club.

Last edited:
Reading the OP it seems as though there will be no payout, only a player's pack. Did I get that right? If this is true make sure people know that all of the $$ is going back to the course, they may be a bit suspicious otherwise.

Also, make sure your scheduling allows 30 minutes to an hour of wiggle room, as these things almost never run on schedule.

There will certainly be some criticism, some constructive but most just bitching. Try your best to learn from the constructive part and don't let the haters get to you.

There will be no cash payout, but there will be prizes for CTPs and card winners.

JRawks bucket of random Rookie TD knowledge

• Get ready to lose money. TD's rarely ever recover all money used on expenses. Don't let that frighten you, because running a smooth tourney is very rewarding to the club and local DG scene.
  • The TD materials on the PDGA website are fantastic. Get the checklist and print it out. Read through it once a day. Prepare early.
  • Go out and get a big rubber-made bin and start collecting all the props and materials you will need now.
  • A lesson i learned last year, avoid tagging specific Dates on printable materials, like rules sheets and scorecards. So, instead of "2013 Ice bowl", just title everything "Ice Bowl". You'll be able to use the extra's the following year.
  • If you are playing in both rounds, arrange for somebody you trust to babysit your TD stuff during round 1. It's much easier to leave everything out than have to worry about locking it all up in your car before heading to the tee.
  • When the first tournament is over, some people will start piling on the stuff you could've done better/differently. The best way to handle those conversations is saying, "Hey that's a great idea. Can you help me with that next time?"

Saying "TD's rarely ever recover all money used as expenses" says that TDs are usually either intentionally generous, or screwing up. There is no reason for an event to loose money. It's one thing if the TD chooses to eat some costs, but a TD should never loose money by accident. It is just about thinking ahead, making a budget, and sticking to it. That being said, I always do build a 5-10% buffer into my budgets that I spend on extra plastic to give away if it is still available the day before the tournament.

I always strive to have lunch at my events, because I think it is an important part of building the local community (it sucks if everyone leaves the course for lunch). However, I would never do a lunch if I couldn't find someone to do all the organizing for me: it is too much to TD and cater.

Other roles I delegate if I can:

Registration. This person handles all of the registrations before and on the morning of the event. They handle check in. They collect the cash and count it so that I am above reproach if ever accused of doing something fishey. They are in charge of keeping the cash safe so I don't need to.

Promotions. This person puts posters around town, and contacts the newspapers/radio stations.

Course captain. This person is in charge of setting up the course (marking OBs, putting sponsorship signs up, etc...) and walking it at the end of the event to make sure we cleaned up completely.

Random fun guy. This is the person in charge of making sure people are having fun during the down times when they are not playing. Their main job is to make sure there is music during lunch and to setup a couple of putting games.

Just a few, but on the flip side I landed in the Gully and that was in. We reteed, then went Oh. We didn't have to do that.

Saying "TD's rarely ever recover all money used as expenses" says that TDs are usually either intentionally generous, or screwing up. There is no reason for an event to loose money. It's one thing if the TD chooses to eat some costs, but a TD should never loose money by accident.

That bolded is all i meant. Do you expense your automobile fuel expenses? your printer toner expenses? Cell phone bills and/or long distance phone bills? There are a lot of little things unrelated to the sport that eat away at your wallet. I'm not going to take $20 out of the budget for the gas i used driving between my house, Staples, Lowes, the Grocery Store, and then the Course. But with gas prices the way they are, maybe i should.

The printing thing is definitly going to be the killer. Going to probably eat some of that.

The printing thing is definitly going to be the killer. Going to probably eat some of that.

I highly recommend outsourcing as much as your printing as possible to staples or some other print shop. It is extra cost, but it's cheaper than breaking your own equipment or using up all your ink. And you'll get a receipt per order that can easily be expensed toward the tournament budget.

For you first tournament, I would highly recommend not providing lunch. I think you might be biting off more than you can chew....unless you have some really reliable people to do it all for you.

It is so hard to plan for....chances are that either you will have lots of food left over (kills budget), or you will run out of food (kills the mood for many).

Another thing I learned is that anything you plan to do on the day of the event.....count on over 50% of your free time being interrupted by panicked phone calls and people coming to you with important questions....or just wanting to chat. In other words, as the TD plan to have all the work done for you by volunteers so you can act as a free agent to knock down situations/questions as they arise.

I run both PDGA and non sanctioned events. I am fortunate to have a very supportive DG community with a few dedicated friends who help me out (this is important). I'll start with food. I enjoy tourneys with good food for lunch. I took this concept for my tourneys and I even smoked tri tip sandwiches (I did not serve the food, that is what staff is for). People enjoyed it, and people had fun catching up in line and after while eating. Secondly, promotion promotion promotion. Your flyer should look professional and you should put them at every course in the area. Third, be the boss. Your the TD and people appreciate a straight forward no BS response to things. Fourth, be clear what the tourney is funding (i.e course improvements, or club fundraising). Real TDs call the 2m rule (this is a joke but I'm serious). Lastly, have fun. If you look like your having fun it radiates to others!

I was wondering about the 2 meter rule. I know it exists but couldn't tell you the last time we used it.

I was wondering about the 2 meter rule. I know it exists but couldn't tell you the last time we used it.

The 2-meter rule is at TD's discretion. You can have it in force, not in force, or in force on certain holes or even certain trees.

It tends to be a regional thing. In some places it's always in effect; in most places it's never used. My suggestion is to go with popular opinion in your area, unless you have compelling reason to do otherwise.

Since the leaves will just be budding and there's not many evergreen trees on the course, it won't be a problem, and therefore will not be enforced. Since I expect a strong showing the the rec/intermediate division I i will expect not many of them to have heard of it anyway.

Note that, by default, the 2-meter rule is not in effect. So you don't have to do anything---if you don't mention it, it's not in effect.

Hey,

My name Is C.J. and even though I've only been plaing for around a year, I am a fully addictied, forum scouring amature player. I have started to get into tournements this year and have found a love for competing in this sport that never existed anywhere else. I always enjoy friendly competion and play to win, but it was always for the fun. Now I want to hop in every tournement around and get my rating up and just get the experience.

Unfournatly our local course doesn't have a well esatbalished following or main man. The course builder is around everyonce and a while but he's pretty flakely when it comes to getting stuff done. We were supposed to have and ice bowl like everyother course around here did, and a spring tounement that no one has heard of yet.

So I am taking things into my own hands, I've alrady started a local club with 17 members now, Vinyled the back of my car with our logo, and have started contacting Parks and Rec on running the tounement.

LSS I am still very new and would love any advice to a first time Tounement Director. This will be a non-PDGA event, 15$ pre-reg, 20 at the door. Price includes a Z line discraft disc and lunch, plus the two rounds. We'll being doing Hotdogs and hamburgers inbetween the two rounds, and regrouping the cards after the first round. I'll be contacting local buisness to help sponsor it with they're Logo on the backside of the scorecards, and offering 20$ sponsorship per holes.

THe money will be going back to the course by finally laying the last three Teepads and through the efforts the club makes in cleaning up the holes.

any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Id like to start by saying I really am NOT trying to be a dick.

I suggest spell check. If your proposals to any potential sponsors are written like your post I'm sure most of them are going to round file it rather quickly. If your asking for money you have to look as intelligent as possible. Just my opinion.....

beyond that, I'm sure the members on this forum have all the information you'll need.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Latest posts