• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] New to DGCR - Quick Question

TheMightyDope

Hello all.

I started playing disc last fall/winter but have really gotten into it this summer with my friends. We are lucky enough to have a well-maintained course right in our town. I actually got my first ace the other day and played my first round of even par a few days after that.

Well, I play RHFH (flick). I found a very old Nuke in the woods recently and started throwing that because I needed a disc that turned right. It is kind of old and not in the best condition so I had my friend pick me up a new one this morning at a local disc store. However, he got a Nuke SS; listed as understable on the Marshall Street Flight Guide.

So, my question, which way will the Nuke SS turn coming from a RHFH player? Will it turn right as the Nuke I have now does? I would really like to know ASAP so I can possibly return the disc. Please let me know guys.

Thanks!

The Nuke SS is finicky and hard to control. For RHFH it will tend to flip or turn to the left throughout its flight.

If you're looking for a good right turn disc, I'd suggest trying a Firebird or PD. They are slower speed which will make them easier to control, which is especially good for a beginner still learning the game.

It really depends on how far you're throwing now. If you're throwing with less power then the disc will still act fairly overstable.

Nuke SS is definitely not a good beginner disc. As Brad mentioned, it's VERY finicky and you'll have a very hard time getting consistency out of it. A buddy of mine found one and (because I told him it was too much disc for him) keeps trying to use it and adds a lot of strokes as a result. Sometimes it will fly overstable when underpowered, but with the odd decent throw it turns when he doesn't want it to. Welcome to the site:thmbup:

Ok guys it seems like I will be returning this one - thanks for the advice.

I throw on average probably around 350 feet, with the regular old Nuke. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Eh, someone will probably tell you your arm speed probably isn't up to snuff for the Nuke. Then they'll tell you to pick up a Teebird, Leopard, Eagle, River or Saint instead of another super OS warp speed driver. I say just throw your putter, on everything.

Eh, someone will probably tell you your arm speed probably isn't up to snuff for the Nuke. Then they'll tell you to pick up a Teebird, Leopard, Eagle, River or Saint instead of another super OS warp speed driver. I say just throw your putter, on everything.

Not yet. It's not necessarily bad to throw high speed stuff if you get results you like, but if you're going to, at least get one of the good ones.

I suggest you pick up a 169 champion Orc and learn to throw that well, then move up to a Z Nuke once you start hitting 400'.

If your arm speed is lower, the SS line is actually not bad, but if you're ALREADY throwing a regular Nuke with some consistency, then maybe it's not good for you.

What kind of plastic is it??

If your arm speed is lower, the SS line is actually not bad, but if you're ALREADY throwing a regular Nuke with some consistency, then maybe it's not good for you.

What kind of plastic is it??

I am not quite sure. I found it and it's kind of old. I think it is a Nuke ESP tho.

I have been throwing my buddy's regular Nuke lately and they are similar.

The Nuke SS is finicky and hard to control. For RHFH it will tend to flip or turn to the left throughout its flight.

If you're looking for a good right turn disc, I'd suggest trying a Firebird or PD. They are slower speed which will make them easier to control, which is especially good for a beginner still learning the game.

^this. I also like Starfires as a nice RHFH right-turner, also a little slower speed. When I flick them they stay nice and flat for me with a good right turn at the end.

I drive RHFH as well and would suggest a Pro or Champ Valk or even better a Champ ORC. Once you get those down try a Star Wraith then Pro Destroyer. This was my progression and it worked well for me.'

Also do not forget or neglect your RHBH drive as it is an essential part of your overall game.