• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] New to me Buzzz question

wproct

Eagle Member
Hi, I just bought a used disc in really nice condition and was just curious as to comments on it's age etc. It's an Elite X Discraft Buzzz. Rating is a .5, and the disc is stamped "Super straight modified Wasp". Color is blue. Just curious as to whether this is an older disc or newer production. Haven't had a chance to throw a round with it yet, but throwing it around in a vacant lot looks promising. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Sounds like the older run of elite X. Great plastic, beats in well.

Sounds like the one I threw into the water at Rocklin Johnson Springview on hole 3. Plastic feels great like a more tacky less durable ESP.

I'm sorry, it was lazy of me not to include a photo. It does say "Buzzz" on the inside of the rim. Thanks,

I just really like the feel of the plastic in this disc. It's also a very rigid plastic, and I like that in a disc. Plan on playing a game with it tomorrow and am anxious to see how it goes. Thanks for the input so far.

It's newer. One of the top 5 greatest sellers of all time as far as discs go. Enjoy it!

So then the buzzz is a modified wasp? Sort of like coyote is to mako?
Just how many mold variations are actually in this wasp-mold family? I only knew for certain of the buzz SS and OS.

Sounds like the older run of elite X. Great plastic, beats in well.

What he said as Discraft dropped the "Elite" part a little while back and now just labels them as "X" plastic. Here is one of the newer runs of X Buzzzes.

41vthFgThZL._SY355_.jpg

Well, I played a game with this disc today. First of all, I'm not totally new to the Buzzz disc. I have an ESP Supercolor about 175g, and a Z plastic model around 171g. The first thing that I noticed is that this Elite X disc throws straight. I don't think that I've owned another disc that is as straight as this one. I'm an older guy that doesn't have a strong arm. I mean, if I throw 275 feet, that's a good drive for me. This disc pretty much goes straight, and then just drops at the end of it's flight. Overall I'm pretty happy. I've got a whole $4 invested in this thing and I think it's the best money I've spent on a disc so far!:D

So then the buzzz is a modified wasp? Sort of like coyote is to mako?
Just how many mold variations are actually in this wasp-mold family? I only knew for certain of the buzz SS and OS.

The Wasp gave birth to the Buzzz, yes. The earliest runs of them actually had Wasp tooling (different font from the 10yrs). The Coyote (the older of the two molds) and Mako, as far as I know, didn't have a hand in each other's creation.

So then the buzzz is a modified wasp?
Yes.

There's also a Buzzz GT which is supposed to be a Buzzz with a thumbtrack.
Not sure if the Nebula (2008 AR disc) or the 2010 AR Hornet (on it's way to you :D) were based on Wasp or Buzzz molds although the Nebula is a smaller diameter.

PDGA Specs:

Disc, Max Wgt, Diam, Height, Rim Depth, Inside Rim Diam, Rim Thickness, Rim Depth/ Diam. Ratio (%), Rim Config,Flexibility (kg)
Buzzz___, 180.1, 21.7, 1.9, 1.3, 19.3, 1.2, 6.0, 44.00, 6.24
Buzzz-SS, 179.3, 21.6, 2.1, 1.3, 19.0, 1.3, 6.0, 43.50, 9.87
Buzzz-GT, 178.5, 21.5, 1.7, 1.3, 19.0, 1.3, 6.0, 44.00, 12.02
Hornet__, 178.5, 21.5, 1.9, 1.3, 18.9, 1.3, 6.0, 41.50, 7.94
Nebula__, 176.8, 21.3, 2.0, 1.3, 18.7, 1.3, 6.1, 44.50, 7.03
Wasp___, 179.3, 21.6, 1.8, 1.3, 19.2, 1.2, 6.0, 37.00, 8.39

Last edited:
Sshhhh.....keep it to yourself (I'm certainly keeping it to myself) that the old Elite X Buzzz are great discs. Great plastic (seasons but doesn't get gouged/chip like KC) and still easy to find inexpensively. And X Buzzz will season into turnover discs while being great line shapers.

Just to defend myself a little, I said it was newer because it wasn't this older/better/more expensive plastic (with the other old stamp):

EDIT: Not a fan of those supercolors personally YMMV
iu

Latest posts