• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to Minnesota/Tournaments

IThrowATilt

Hi all,
Just thought I would introduce myself. I am formerly from Iowa and have really gotten into disc golf over the past few months. I started about 4.5 years back after graduating high school. Just used disc golf as a way to get out of the house. Throughout college, I was not able to play often and would clock in maybe 20 rounds total a year. I still consider myself a newbie even though I've owned discs for almost 5 years. Recently, I graduated college and moved to Minnesota where I started playing more often. I would like to start playing in tournaments and play some winter rounds. However, I feel as if I am not very good compared to others and would like to get better.

I struggle with understanding disc selection and what discs to throw in what conditions. What are the best ways to figure this out at the same time as improving form?

Thanks! Excited to be a part of the community.

Step 1: Put the Tilt away.

Welcome to MN. You're in a great city for disc golf.

find the local leagues and start there

cheaper and you can socialize that way too while also figure out how "good" you are

IThrowATilt lives in Rochester, the town I was referring to.

you played driftless yet

or checked out st charles

you have courses around you but they suck

what about ibm

Guess that's why there was never a Minneapolis Vikings.

Kinda. Every time Minneapolis gets or does anything, St. Paul whines like an annoying little brother until it gets included. So, everything has to be Minneapolis/St.Paul or just Minnesota.

My advice:

Start with only a few discs. A putter and a 5/6 speed mid-range. Both should be as stable as possible. Play with them for a while to work on your form. Then as your form gets consistent, get a fairway driver. Then you should start looking at what shots you need to make on the course and aren't able to do with the discs you have....then get discs to fit that need.

TBH, been over to the Minneapolis/St.Paul area a lot. Only live an hour and a half from there. I don't know where one city stops and another begins. We just refer to them as "the Cities" over here haha.

To the OP....if you ever find yourself on the Wisco side of the Mississippi, hit me up!

My advice:

Start with only a few discs. A putter and a 5/6 speed mid-range. Both should be as stable as possible. Play with them for a while to work on your form. Then as your form gets consistent, get a fairway driver. Then you should start looking at what shots you need to make on the course and aren't able to do with the discs you have....then get discs to fit that need.

Just to clarify, when you say "as stable as possible" you mean a neutral type disc, correct? Like a buzz or hex or something like that? I only ask because a lot of people, especially beginners, might interpret"stable as possible" as something like a Tilt.

Just to clarify, when you say "as stable as possible" you mean a neutral type disc, correct? Like a buzz or hex or something like that? I only ask because a lot of people, especially beginners, might interpret"stable as possible" as something like a Tilt.

Yeah, Buzzzz like. I would not consider a Tilt a stable disc...from what I've seen a Tilt is completely overstable. By "as stable as possible"...I meant that a 1 or 2 fade is okay. I definitely wouldn't start off with a fade of 3 or more - that's what I did and I had trouble learning to throw until someone advised me to get more stable discs (or even understable).

Yeah, Buzzzz like. I would not consider a Tilt a stable disc...from what I've seen a Tilt is completely overstable. By "as stable as possible"...I meant that a 1 or 2 fade is okay. I definitely wouldn't start off with a fade of 3 or more - that's what I did and I had trouble learning to throw until someone advised me to get more stable discs (or even understable).

I've done a lot of research on good discs and discs I've thrown in the past when I was just playing with buddies for the heck of it. Definitely have some good stable discs including a Buzzz now. Probably just need to go out and do a lot of field testing as well.

you played driftless yet

or checked out st charles

you have courses around you but they suck

what about ibm

Playing in a tournament at St. Charles next month. Wasn't able to get out to Driftless before the snow hit, they have since taken out some of the baskets for a cross-country skiing area so I'll have to wait for better weather. IBM isn't a bad course but I would like to see the wooded holes have concrete pads and a little better maintenance, last time I was there a huge tree had fallen completely blocking a fairway. The 9ers around me aren't bad for just getting out and playing at least.

UPDATE/Recovery

Hey All, just a little update. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play for the past month because I broke my leg down near my ankle. I should be back on both feet in a couple weeks, but I was wondering if anyone has been through a broken leg then gotten back to throwing. I am concerned about injuring it again and was wondering if anyone had exercises that helped them.

Hey All, just a little update. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play for the past month because I broke my leg down near my ankle. I should be back on both feet in a couple weeks, but I was wondering if anyone has been through a broken leg then gotten back to throwing. I am concerned about injuring it again and was wondering if anyone had exercises that helped them.

I fractured my fibula and likely had a severe sprained ankle as well about ten years ago. I got back to playing after about 2 months. Just the last few years have I really gotten full range of mobility back and stopped having pain. I took my boot off earlier then recommended and started walking on it and then playing. I'm not sure if it hurt me but I suspect it might have.

I didn't do any special exercises but just forcing the motion to come back but would recommend icing it after you workout or play. Ice is your friend. It will bring down inflamation and pump fresh blood through the area. Helps speed up healing or recovery.

Hope the leg mends nicely!

Shattered my calcaneus. Was nonweight bearing for 4 months. Didn't keep me down for long.. I was out putting 2 days after surgery on crutches.. playing holes within the week, and playing league within 3 months.. on a hands free crutch, and my first tournament (no crutch or cane) was 5 months. I don't recommend it.. I still am in pain every day.. but here I am..
https://youtu.be/6u1A9ZQSdpc

Latest posts