• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the Sport

kitjv

At the urging of my daughter, I played my first round with her about 3 months ago. It was humbling & a bit embarrassing. Since I was now on a mission to redeem myself, I studied numerous videos to learn proper technique. Everything was progressing well until I pulled a hamstring muscle about a week ago while practicing. Keep in mind that I practice hip & shoulder rotation and various range of motion exercises daily in my home gym.

I am at a loss as to what I did to cause the hsamstring pull while practicing my backhand drive. The only thing that comes to mind is that while throwing the disc, my left foot might have been partially planted as I started my hip rotation. (BTW, I am right-handed). This would seem to cause a twisting motion in the hamstring of the left leg. But as a newcomer to the sport, i thought that I would check with some of you veteran players as to your thoughts.

Much appreciated.

I've tweaked and strained various things at various times out on the course. Sometimes it just happens. I'm in the 50+ age group so it probably happens more frequently than it would have twenty years ago. While I'm sure bad form or technique can make the likelihood of injury greater, sometimes things just happen.

Thank you for the response. Your point is well-taken. Being 74, I expect certain age-related issues to occur without explanation. However, having replaced both hips, both knees & a shoulder, these are "new" parts with relatively little mileage on them. Nevertheless, I accept the fact that I'm not 20 years old.

But since I am in the process of honing my driving technique, I certainly might be unaware of some part of the technique that I am not doing correctly. So, any tips that might help me to avoid unnecessary injury would be most appreciated.

Welcome! Awesome to hear your story. I am on the other side of it and can only hope my baby girl will one day want to play.

Always feel free to get input on the form critique thread. I have been saved from countless pains and my game has benefitted greatly.

Welcome! Awesome to hear your story. I am on the other side of it and can only hope my baby girl will one day want to play.

Always feel free to get input on the form critique thread. I have been saved from countless pains and my game has benefitted greatly.

Thank you so much. You are never too old to learn something new. Makes life worth living. Plus my ulterior motive is to whip my daughter's butt on the course!:thmbup:

Latest posts