• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie bag advice

laflesh

Well, I've been playing disc golf now for a little over a month and I'm addicted to the sport. I have a weak arm and am generally only putting out my best drives in the 175-200 foot range at best. Here is what I currently have in my bag:

Eagle DX 165 grams
Valkyrie DX 167 grams x2
Leopard DX 150 grams
Pro Leopard 171 grams

DX Shark 180 grams
x2 DX Sharks 165 grams

Aviar DX 175 grams
Wizard S 172 grams

This is probably going to sound goofy, but I seem to get my most consistent drives with the Valks. I realize that with my weaker arm, I am probably not using them properly. I throw primarily LHBH. For the most part, my shots all tend to go straight then fade to the right at the end. I think I am throwing mostly at a slight hyzer which is causing that. I am able to throw an anhyzer and usually get a strong hook left or an S shape curve. Am I confusing myself with too many discs to start, or should I keep going with what I have right now. I have seen some suggestions that newer players might consider less molds or just mids and putters. Should this be a consideration for me? Sorry for being overly verbose here. I'm just trying to figure this all out here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your shots fade like that because Valks, fore example, are designed primarily for distances closer to the 360-410 feet range than 200 feet.

The discs you have are actually very good drivers to learn with. My recommendation would be to drop the Eagles and the Valks, maybe even the Leopards for a bit, and work with the mids and putters for a while. Play some courses, but go out to the field and try some drills too. Look up the right pec drill, and watch some videos of how pros drive a disc and compare it to how you do it to see what you might not be understanding just yet.

I think that the Leopards will be all the driver you need for a little while. Once you increase your snap and can break 300 feet with the Leopard you could put the Eagle back in. I'd try to hit 330 feet consistently with either of those two discs before working with the Valks. The slower discs will be more forgiving and controllable.

I'd also decide on one putter mold. Both of those are serviceable discs, just find which one feels most comfortable for you and flies the most consistent. Practice driving with the putter too, they'll help you learn form and how to control different lines well.

Some elaboration on why new players should work with mids and putters to learn the basics: hey're the slowest, most forgiving discs. They are the most accurate and controllable. Early int he learning process the worst thing you can do is focus on raw power and trying to throw far. The best thing to do IMO is to work on being able to throw different types of shots, and gradually improving your form so it's clean and consistent. Putters and mids will be easier for you to shape lines with because with 200' of power you can get them up to their intended cruising speed much more easily than any driver. Also, the most important parts of the game will be played with mids and putters, even when you're a pro player. They lay the foundation for everything else. It's so much easier to get distance after you've learned good form, than it is to try to get distance without form, then go back and clean it up and un-learn your mistakes (Like I did).

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Mike, work with the midranges and putters. I personally started with a midrange Dx Shark. How you release a midrange or putter is pretty much how its gonna fly, therefore it is easier to spot you weaknesses early on. Once you spot what weaknesses you may have, you can work on them and get better quicker. However, if you do use a driver the leopard is a really nice choice!

Yeah, you have some good discs, so keep them, but need to lay down the foundation first.

Work with your putters and the lighter Sharks for now. The 180 Shark is too heavy for you now, but tuck it away.

Once you start to get those Sharks to about 200 ft or more, the Pro Leopard would be the next one to go back in the bag. As you start to push 300 with the Leopard, the Eagle would be the next one back in, to learn to throw solid stable drives. Once that starts to click, add the Valkyrie for distance drives.

You will always wind up using your mids and putter to develop your technique, no matter how far you learn to throw them.

What Mike C said.

I'll add that if you just go down to putters and mids for a bit and follow the advice and videos given here (the Dan Beto one especially), it won't take long before you're throwing your putters farther than you're throwing your Valks now. Once you figure out how to get the disc to rip from your hand (which I'm guessing isn't happening now, you're probably letting go) you'll quickly progress to where you'll be able to incorporate your Leopards.

I know it can be frustrating not getting to throw drivers right away, but if you ask around you'll find that most people (myself included) end up ditching their drivers for a while eventually and wish it was something they did from the start. I find unlearning bad habits is harder than learning good ones.

Thanks for all the great advice. I played a couple rounds today, and one of them with just a putter and a shark. It does put your shot selection in perspective.

Thanks for all the great advice. I played a couple rounds today, and one of them with just a putter and a shark. It does put your shot selection in perspective.

Don't worry, you'll start coming around with practice....which you do a lot of lol! I'll second what everyone else has said by working with your Sharks and Leopard for right now. I'm sure your Leopard on a good pull goes just as far as your Valk right now, and the Leopard will be a lot less sensitve and much more forgiving.

You also gotta realize that currently you are doing the right thing. You aren't out there trying all you can do to throw farther, but more so focusing on control and accuracy first, which is most important. Distance will slowly come with time, and working with your slower discs right now will actually help both your accuracy AND distance progress the fastest. Your Sharks and Leopard are very workable discs, and when thrown properly should allow you to execute any shots needed.

Of course as far as the putter goes, I say stick with the Wizard :thmbup:

See ya out on the course buddy, and good to see you posting in here!

Don't worry, you'll start coming around with practice....which you do a lot of lol! I'll second what everyone else has said by working with your Sharks and Leopard for right now. I'm sure your Leopard on a good pull goes just as far as your Valk right now, and the Leopard will be a lot less sensitve and much more forgiving.

You also gotta realize that currently you are doing the right thing. You aren't out there trying all you can do to throw farther, but more so focusing on control and accuracy first, which is most important. Distance will slowly come with time, and working with your slower discs right now will actually help both your accuracy AND distance progress the fastest. Your Sharks and Leopard are very workable discs, and when thrown properly should allow you to execute any shots needed.

Of course as far as the putter goes, I say stick with the Wizard :thmbup:

See ya out on the course buddy, and good to see you posting in here!

Thanks bud. I had thought I had been seeing improvement for a couple days but the last 4 or so I seem to be in a major rut. Holes I should be getting par on pretty easily and was for a while, I'm back to bogeying. I realize a lot of that is still the inconsistency that comes with being new. My problem is that I am too damn competitive for my own good. :wall: And yeah, you'll see me on the course. I spend as much time there as I do with my wife. :p

As for the wizard, I'm really starting to get attached to that already. I should hopefully get my second one in the mail tomorrow. :hfive: Its getting more comfortable for putting. I still find I like my Aviar a bit more on some approach shots as I seem to have a bit better control with it.

Spend less time with the wife or get her into the sport :rolleyes:

What everyone else said and I will reinforce just sticking with one putter and getting a few of them. Half of your strokes come in the last 100 feet so make sure you spend TIME working on that. The Shark is an awesome beginner disc. Distance comes with time and technique. Practice pays HUGE!!!

Latest posts