• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Couple

caliyanks

OK, the wife and I found disc Golf. We absolutely love it. We bought some starter discs and have a good course in Visalia. Now, practicing, I lost my driver (new one in the mail), but I have been using my midrange to drive and I estimate it has been going about 150'. We played about 10 times already in the last 2 weeks. Believe it or not we can see ourselves getting better everytime we play. But, we have no reference point or training other than stalking occasional players that show up. We want to learn the game a little better. We aren't trying to be pro's or anything but spending the day at the park playing all day agreed with us (Played 3 rounds yesturday alone). Anyone have any suggestions on how we can get some instruction? We're more hands on so I'd rather avoid the vidoes and I have been on some websites that offer advice. That's what actually helped us improve alittle. Thanks for any advice.

A lot of people here will say use your putters and midranges before drivers to get your toss a lot further. I saw a big gain lately and it seems to be pretty good advice.

Katanas, Boss', and Wraiths... Oh wait newbs? Either way you never listen to me! If somebody was to listen I would tell them to start with a Mako, Roc, Buzzz, or some sort of mid range and slowly move up.

I'll have to recheck our discs. but I know I have a buzzz. Hey, Mcfly, any other advice you don't want to give us? Don't be like that. If I didn't care I wouldn't ask. Thanks again everyone.

A lot of people here will say use your putters and midranges before drivers to get your toss a lot further. I saw a big gain lately and it seems to be pretty good advice.

I'll second that. I made some great gains just using my Buzzz.

something else that I think needs to be said to all newbies to this sport:

I don't care what you think, buying another disc isn't going to improve your game right now (I'm not saying that you shouldn't replace your driver). At some point soon you're honestly going to believe that if you buy a new (boss/destroyer/nuke/<blank>) that you'll just be BOMBING them out there, and it just isn't the case. Stick with a leopard, or something similar, until you can throw it at LEAST 300' I think all of us ran out and bought $200 worth of plastic in our first 2 months, only to figure out that we had no idea how to throw it right. It's just frustrating. Focus on fun, and spending time together. You'll get better with practice.

My wife and I are both newer players as well. so, its good to know we're not alone. I tried SO MANY discs until I found one that I liked. But, the most important thing that I've learned is that drive as little as possible.
I do drive my sidewinder 250+ most days but I also only try to use it once per hole. after that, I pick up my midrange and work on that. I have used a lot of different midranges but have settled on four that I really like. Mako, Skeeter (RHFH only), Coyote (my new fave), and Buzzz. my Roc I use when I want more hook to my shot (predictable fade). The four I listed above are dead straight midranges with very little fade, what we like to call the point and shoot variety.
Also, I would recommend getting a skillshot or similar basket for at home. There is no better practice than the practice you can get putting at homein the yard with a portable basket.

My current plan is to pare down my drivers to a core five or six and expand my putters and mids. Accuracy is so much more valuable than power. and power will come, guaranteed.
pm me if you want.
~Jeff

Best advice I can offer is concentrate on throwing the disc flat. Everything else in DG hinges on throwing the disc flat

I'll second that. I made some great gains just using my Buzzz.

something else that I think needs to be said to all newbies to this sport:

I don't care what you think, buying another disc isn't going to improve your game right now (I'm not saying that you shouldn't replace your driver). At some point soon you're honestly going to believe that if you buy a new (boss/destroyer/nuke/<blank>) that you'll just be BOMBING them out there, and it just isn't the case. Stick with a leopard, or something similar, until you can throw it at LEAST 300' I think all of us ran out and bought $200 worth of plastic in our first 2 months, only to figure out that we had no idea how to throw it right. It's just frustrating. Focus on fun, and spending time together. You'll get better with practice.

Very true, I am an example of this. I got about 12 or more drivers that all flew the exact same way for me before I started thinking, "hmmm, maybe it IS me."
Since then, I started pay attention to the technique section here and have been 'discing down' to the point where I'm throwing much more mid-range or fairway drivers and this has been much better for my game.

Nice and slow discs for both of you. If you guys were in Atlanta I could hook her up with a clinic and possibly you too since we are thinking about branching out. Biggest thing with guys vs. girls is that girls need to throw more from the lower body. Guys do too but we can get by using our upper bodies until we get to the point where we want to really improve or we hurt ourselves.

Tend toward more understable discs, like the Coyote, Buzzz, Skeeter. One disc that I usually get noobs on is the Stratus or Stingray. Throw your putter(s) twice as much as your mids, and your mids twice as much as your drivers. That ratio should work for a while.
Learn to throw straight, and then work on your distance. It doesn't matter how far you can throw, if you can't get it to go where you point it.
Relax, have fun, stay smooth. You'll get better over time.

One other thing, look at the videos that have been recommended, they are good ones

Dont bother with a run up in the beginning. It will just add confusion. Focus on throwing nose down and getting a good rip.
Nose down meaning the front edge of the disc is lower than the back relative to the ground.
Rip meaning the disc forces its way out of your hand. You dont let go.

Also as drickanderson and chrioflyer have mentioned:
It's not the disc, it's you.

Lastly, practice, practice, practice.

Practice, and Practice some more. I would say find an open field where you can practice your throws over and over. I have a neighbor that I am teaching that is what we do. We practice drives in an open field.

This way you don't loose discs, or clog up the course with many throws.

I'll have to recheck our discs. but I know I have a buzzz. Hey, Mcfly, any other advice you don't want to give us? Don't be like that. If I didn't care I wouldn't ask. Thanks again everyone.

Is that you 80?

I don't want to tell you that you should watch this video on putting. I also don't want to tell you to calm down because you won't. Or that I was kidding and you need a sense of humor to understand what I was referring to. I do want to tell you that disc golf is the best sport in the world.

Get your wife a light weight R-Pro Boss or Valk when she is moving to a driver. She will get max distance with minimal effort. My wife likes em' alot and can hit 250 with ease. The same might go for you however my buddy has been playing for 2 months and can already hit the Katana 300ft even though I told him to wait. So you can try it but remember accuracy over distance and it's always the Indian never the arrow.

CryingIndian.jpg

You hurt his feelings. :(

The best advice is to listen to me. :|

Haha, no but really, if you're the hands on types, try and find some local pros around your course and suck up to them. Play in the Rec division with other n00bs, and make sure you come back here with questions and disc advice to make sure that your local pros aren't just experienced n00bs in disguise. I would point you over to discgolfreview.com for some advanced equipment and technique theory but it can be overwhelming and they don't have a great track record w/ n00bs. :\

Welcome to the site muchachos, and by the way, McFly is a bit of a jokester.

Wow,you guys are funny and informative. I really appreciate all the advice. You gave me some homework. I am the Anal type. I will listen and learn with what the majority reccommend. I wouldn't even go play once until I was comfortable with the basics. I don't need to always be great at something, but I do want to be able to be in the ballpark. I tried to go to what I thought was a tournament on sunday, but no one else was there. I'll have to find the good spots in the Fresno area. brotherDave- I will be sure to check back in if I'm not confident with some advice. Thanks.
Something funny, I lost my first disk practicing in an open field, not on the course. That baby cost me $17.99 and was a week old. I wasn't laughing at the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts