• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Couple

Something funny, I lost my first disk practicing in an open field, not on the course. That baby cost me $17.99 and was a week old. I wasn't laughing at the time.

Oh lord no. You want some discs, buy or trade for ones on here or DGR's forum (stay away from discaroo). Very good prices and fast shippers on here like myself and best of all we (mostly) know are discs inside and out so you can get something very tailored to your needs.

If you can't find what you're looking for, hit up these places:
discgolfcenter.com (free shipping over $12)
marshallstreetdiscgolf.com (OGs, very cool dudes.)
primediscs.com (free shipping)
clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com (massive selection, Discspeed here will hand pick discs for you if ask him too.)
gottagogottathrow.com (good deals on x-outs here)
sunkingdiscs.com
discgolfvalues.com

the list goes on.

I know right. I don't even know what it was (I never played before that). It was my first of the 3 I bought. We went to a place in Visalia, CA near the course we saw. The owner of the shop and designer of the course was nice enough to come in a reccommend discs and give us pointers. For the 6 Dics I paid $90. Then I go online and discover a whole world of this stuff. I then ordere 2 starter kits for the wife and I. Bags, 3 discs each and a mini (whatever that is) I should add, I am a gadget guy and we like trying everthing (I got the itch). The 2 kits cost less than $90 so I bought them because I was already pissed I spent that much in the first place.

a mini is a tiny version of a disc, you use to to mark where your disc landed (place it touching the disc, towards the basket) if you want to throw the same one again, or just want to be closer.

you can also use it to get a little closer to the basket putting that way.

That's why you can't trust those Cali DG'ers. *Looks at Zenbot, Apoth* ;)

Okay, here's the basic DG primer. Throw putters and midranges predominately until you can break 300' or so. The important thing is to learn to NOT STRONG-ARM the disc when you throw, but to convert your body and arm into a whip/trebuchet and snap the disc with lots of clean spin. Basically, if it doesn't feel like you're towing the disc, you're not doing something(s) right. You're gonna throw a lot of what we in the biz call n00b hyzers, where the disc sails high up, stalls out and fades hard to the ground for virtually no real distance. It's okay, we all had this problem. Your body naturally wants your arm to swing up when you throw, just slowly fight this by throwing as flat as possible (parallel to the ground) from pull to follow through.

Good luck kiddos, your DGCR brethren are rooting for you.

Like you've heard already, stick to a putter that feels good, and a midrange that you can throw nice and flat and it stays that way for a while before slowly falling left. IMHO the Stratus is a good call for an all-around starter driver which will turn into a midrange, then a roller. Eventually you will start turning the midrange over (falls to the right too much in the middle of the throw) and you can check one of many online golf charts and move up a bit in speed and maybe stability.

You willl, without a doubt, have more fun throwing something that you don't have to fight all the time. I throw mostly understable-stable midranges and putter, out to 350' or so. I rarely take a big driver out of the bag unless I'm in a open field or a wide fairway and have the room for an S curve throw.

Other notes: don't be afraid to try a few different brands (Innova, Discraft, etc), take everything you read with a grain of salt, learn backhand well before digging in to the forehand/overhand stuff, don't turbo putt or we will make fun of you behind your back :). Take some time to learn the lingo...

:clap: Have fun!!!!! :clap:

OK, just got home and got my new disc's.
I had the Buzzz and the Innova- R-Pro Dart Putter. What I ordered (be nice I was guessing), was the Beast- Innova driver, the "ROC"- Midrange, and the Discraft-Rattler Putter. The wife Had the R-pro Dart- putter, Innova Comet and Stingray. I ordered her a Cheetah Innova driver, Shark- mid, and rattler putter. I think from what I read so far we are close enough. Based on everyones advice I think I can stick with My Buzzz and a putter. But what about the wife. She's a lefty and needs to throw foward, not side arm for distance. Any thoughts? Thanks. By the way I will be out there playing tommow now.

OK, just got home and got my new disc's.
I had the Buzzz and the Innova- R-Pro Dart Putter. What I ordered (be nice I was guessing), was the Beast- Innova driver, the "ROC"- Midrange, and the Discraft-Rattler Putter. The wife Had the R-pro Dart- putter, Innova Comet and Stingray. I ordered her a Cheetah Innova driver, Shark- mid, and rattler putter. I think from what I read so far we are close enough. Based on everyones advice I think I can stick with My Buzzz and a putter. But what about the wife. She's a lefty and needs to throw foward, not side arm for distance. Any thoughts? Thanks. By the way I will be out there playing tommow now.

ENP (epic noob post).:thmbup:

I think by throwing forward your wife has the right idea!
Seriously though.... Back Hand is what i think you mean and it dosent make a difference in terms or disc selection which hand you throw with. She too should stick with a mid & putter.

Stingray is great for her, that is what my wife started with. When she starts getting good distance you can give her the cheetah.

Dart is a fine putter.

I think for Noobs, when you are ready for a driver, try an Orc.

Bad Sunday, no, NO! :p (Noobs should not touch anything faster than a fairway driver IMO)

Since you're throwing FH, you're going to have some fits trying to flick that Rattler. The Beast and Roc will do okay though.

Those are good choices for the wife.

Im a noob... I have been playing for about a month and a half. I try to play every day or every other day and I have had my best success with the Leopard so far. I have a DX Leopard and a Star Leopard, I seem to throw a bit better with the dx but its not all that different. Its not the disc I throw the farthest but it is the disc I throw the most accurately. I highly recommend it!!

The best advice I can give is to play in your local leagues. You'll meet people of all skill levels and there's no better place to learn different shots.

Try to watch experienced players throw and get some advice.

There is a big tournament in Visalia on September 4 & 5. Come out to the park early and watch the top pros (and many others) play all day on both days. Watch how they grip their discs, watch how they approach, throw and follow through. Most players, including the top pros would be willing to watch you throw a few drives and offer some basic advice between rounds. Don't feel shy about asking.

Here is a link to the event flyer: http://www.disctribution.com/forums/EOTTC2010.pdf

You are more than welcome to play in this event in the Recreational division. However, you will have to join the PDGA first (as membership is required). It doesn't matter that you just started. What matters is you enjoy the sport, want to have fun and get better.

Link to join PDGA: http://www.pdgastore.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1228364620

Latest posts