• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie: Disc down? - driver input plz!

No, I would like input! You tell me to keep w/ my Valk and not go faster I will. Well, not you, since you don't seem to know how to give advice.

HEY WHY THE HELL IS NOBODY TELLING ME TO REPLACE IT W/ A FAIRWAY DRIVER!?!

This is why.

I'm too POOR to buy a ****ing fairway. I know what fairway I want, and I'm trying to find a good speed driver. The Beast! And I'm trading in one for a Gazelle. Mmmkay.

Good info bro, ty. Still gonna stick with bombing(doing my best to) lower speeds first :D

I'm sure I'll get another Wraith later, but the beat-up/very slightly deformed one I have(soon to be had) arses me off. For now, and I think a Beast would be a better trade/buy for my skill.

I agree. But isn't there a point where if you can throw a disc X' you can try a higher speed disc? I'm fine with the Valk! I just want to get better and learn more than one disc!!!

The Surge SS intrigues me(not the ESP, not yet), but I'm just not sure if I want to jump to an 11 spd disc, even if maybe I can. I wanna max out my Valk, and mess with a good spd 10 sometimes too I think before I move up. Unless someone has something good to say about it for the semi-novice.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on what speed your disc is. If you really want to improve and gain some serious distance, put away all your drivers and learn to throw your mids as far as you throw your Valk. It sucks to hear that, but it's the best thing you can do to truly improve.

And for the record, TeeBirds have as much distance potential for you right now as any Wraith, Beast, Surge, or Valkyrie. Just because you can throw a 10 or 11 speed driver doesn't mean that you should.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Now go ahead and ignore my advice and buy yourself a Beast.

I agree. But isn't there a point where if you can throw a disc X' you can try a higher speed disc? I'm fine with the Valk! I just want to get better and learn more than one disc!!!

Well people can throw a Valkrie a lot further than 400' and since you just did it once I would stick with that and actually learn it ya know

Chief of Beef, honestly I wouldn't recommend a valk to a noob but if you can toss 400' then keep working it. With that kind of d you might as well dabble in the world of fast 165ish drivers and see how far you can push them. If you want to improve your score go get an eagle-x, a banshee and a leopard, those discs are way more accurate than a valk and they will teach you the art of line shaping.

You don't really seem to have any goal or purpose for a disc.
If you're just going for the big D, keep on with the valk; theres probably a reason it holds the distance record.
If you're looking to hit certain lines with good control, maybe play some courses that require a variety of shots.. find a disc for that purpose.
Or disc down all the way and throw the Voodoo for a couple months.

Johnson, why do you consider Valks innacurate? I consider them my ultumate accuracy driver. I also believe that they hold a line better then any other disc. And I just bought 10 pearly Valk + discs on a whim, so I must mean it :)

I would stick with that Valk. If you have a DX maybe get a Star and see how far you can get it. I took all of the high speed drivers and put them on a shelf. There they sit and I am able to actually make the discs I throw do what they are supposed to. Get a Leopard or Eagle. 2 months in I think you are a bit anxious. If you are saying you only get a decent throw 25% of the time with the Wraith, why would you want to go to a higher speed driver?

Chief of Beef, honestly I wouldn't recommend a valk to a noob but if you can toss 400' then keep working it. With that kind of d you might as well dabble in the world of fast 165ish drivers and see how far you can push them. If you want to improve your score go get an eagle-x, a banshee and a leopard, those discs are way more accurate than a valk and they will teach you the art of line shaping.

Pretty much this.

I expect that it's frustrating to have all of these discs out there that you want to try, but it's gonna cost you, and you feel you have to sell one to get another. But while you are salivating over the thought of Beasts, Destroyers, and what not, just remember that both men's and women's world distance records were set with speed 9 drivers. Champ Valk for the men (820 ft.), and Millenium Orion LF for the women (525 ft.).

Outdoor Distance:
Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA
Women: 162.00 m Niloofar Mosavar Rahmani (SWE) 7/15/10 Malmö, SWE

My distance with a speed 9 driver (150 class sidewinder) has improved by about 80 feet over the past month, just by discing down to leopard, banshee, roc, and putter, and learning to drive them. My leopard is consistently going 280-300 feet in a straight line now, and my line shaping is improving greatly. You are not being led astray. Just remember that, in addition to an understable driver like the leopard and valk, you really need an overstable disc like the banshee or whippet for headwinds, sidearms, and overhead shots.

I agree that you'll learn way more from adding a fairway driver than you will from finding something between a Valk and Wraith. With the distances you're throwing you'll probably hit a plateau soon where the Wraith will work just as well for you as most speed 10 discs. Learning to throw fairway drivers (like a DX Gazelle, D Cyclone or DX Eagle-X) will help you throw both the Valk and Wraith better. It will also help teach line shaping, which is very important.

I've skimmed over most of the comments but I'm going to post what I originally would say anyway.

Take the wraith out, if you are meathooking a dx wraith you have no business throwing it. At power, a brand new champion wraith will turn over, a dx one should be a roller disc at best. It's harsh, but it's the truth.

Get a teebird and maybe an eagle. Both in DX is just fine due to $$$. You can probably trade one champion disc for 2-3 dx ones. Hell, most of us keep dx discs in a basket/bucket/container in our car to give away to new people.

Throw mids and putters! Right now I'm pushing my buzzzes closer and closer to 400', mids are capable of it. You should be able to throw mids at least 300 without too much thought. Putters are also very capable of 300'+ drives (Wizards, Aviars (not aviar putt and approach, big bead aviars are good for driving (dx or kc pro is just fine), challengers, and ions/vibrams <-expensive though). If you are hitting 250' with a stable to ovestable putter, you are doing fine. I really try to urge people to hit 275-300 with a putter, and ~325-350 with a buzzz/roc. Having those two in your arsenal is far better than having an (often erratic) 400'+ drive. The form to get the putters and mids up there should also push your drivers, even teebirds, close or over 400'.

I would stick with that Valk. If you have a DX maybe get a Star and see how far you can get it. I took all of the high speed drivers and put them on a shelf. There they sit and I am able to actually make the discs I throw do what they are supposed to. Get a Leopard or Eagle. 2 months in I think you are a bit anxious. If you are saying you only get a decent throw 25% of the time with the Wraith, why would you want to go to a higher speed driver?

You're very right, I was a bit anxious, which is stupid as hell, thanks so much guys. I'll stick with the Valk. BTW I didn't want to go higher spd, I wanted to go lower, but higher than my Valk. But good advice sir.

This is why.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on what speed your disc is. If you really want to improve and gain some serious distance, put away all your drivers and learn to throw your mids as far as you throw your Valk. It sucks to hear that, but it's the best thing you can do to truly improve.

And for the record, TeeBirds have as much distance potential for you right now as any Wraith, Beast, Surge, or Valkyrie. Just because you can throw a 10 or 11 speed driver doesn't mean that you should.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Now go ahead and ignore my advice and buy yourself a Beast.

Very right. I'm heeding your advice. I especially agree with you saying "Just because you can throw a 10 or 11 speed driver doesn't mean that you should."

I'd also like to add that my buddy who I throw alot with at least twice/week, has never been able to out-drive me very often. UNTIL TODAY! He just got some discs in the mail from Lat 64. Vision and Fuse(both Opto). His Vision was killing my star Valk all day. Killing it. The Fuse was going extremely far also, without much effort to the surprise of us both(much too far than we thought it might go). Given the experience I had today discing down, staying w/ my Valk, and experiencing the student humiliate the teacher, I'm getting me some Latitude 64 no doubt. Mother of god. Highly recommend at least checking out if any of you haven't yet.

I was going to say that you probably want a nice domey Teebird. They feel like Valks with a little more stability and a bit easier to control. But if you are jumping on the Lat64 bandwagon, the the Vision seems fine. I would recommend something a bit slower to teach you form and controlled driving while you keep bombing your Valks, but that is just an opinion.

Yeah....people do love the Teebird.... I did and still do want one BUT:
On the Lat64 note I want to try one and compare it to the Fuse. It doesn't hold that super straight line w/o fading 300+ feet like my Roc, but the thing sails like Mr. Mackey's head on crack, m'kay!

Man, so much thinking for what I want in my disc bag w/o getting carried away.

Again thanks for your input and opinions guys!:thmbup:

Hey Chief,

I carry a Pro Leopard, an esp and elite x cyclone (just a grip difference). I just warped my awesome Valk on a tree but I have a Lat 64 Striker on the way so I'll see if it takes it's place. Mids I throw buzz but I have a fuse on the way.

Like others said a teebird or eagle are solid solid fairways but it all depends on what your goals are. I love the feel of a Valk. It fits my hand really well. I can throw it well. It is only a speed 9 so I have lots of room to improve before I think about moving up. Folks around here won't steer you wrong. I have gained more for my game from the boards than anything.

Latest posts