• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie from Illinois

tysontomko

First and foremost let me thank you for being such a cool site. The forums are full of great info and all kinds of nice people. Thanks to you guys I know there's not only 5+ courses within 30 minutes of where I live, but there's a 9 hole course literally ~700 feet from my house! I live near a gradeschool and a ballpark and had no idea there was a flat little 9 hole course in the back of the ballpark. I've definitely cut my teeth there and because it's so small/short I think that's why I'm so much better at approach/putt shots than I am at driving (which I'm working on). I drilled a good 40 foot putt yesterday and felt like THE MAN.

Biographics and backstory
I'm from central/southern Illinois. About a month ago my co-workers invited me out to play this game they've been playing for a few months called disc golf. Needless to say I was immediately hooked and like all my friends went out and bought a driver to start with.

After a couple of weeks of just using my driver we went to out local disc shop again (which is literally an antique store with a little disc golf section completely randomly) because a buddy I had since gotten into it wanted to buy some discs for himself. This is where my game really began without sounding too dramatic. I grabbed the cheapest mid-range they had just to play with it, and it immediately became my best disc for both accuracy and distance.

This shop didn't have any putters left (my co-workers bought their last 2) so I hit up my friend Mr Internet to see what putters everyone suggested. I spent entirely too much time reading reviews (it's so much fun seeing what everyone has to say) and it arrived at my house about a week ago. Up until the game at the local course yesterday (I work about 20 min from my house where there's a cool 18 hole course in the park) I didn't think I did that well with it but man last night something just clicked.

My discs
Driver: Champion Beast (red)
Mid-range: R-Pro Skeeter (orangish pink)
Putter: SS Wizard (black)

My grips
Distance drives: RHBH with power grip or forehand depending on layout of hole
Medium drives from tee: RHBH fork/fan grip (without finger on edge)
Approach shots: RHBH fork/fan grip (without finger on edge)
Putting: RHBH fork/fan grip (with finger on edge sometimes depending on if I'm lobbing it or spinning it)

I've only been playing a month and change but I've tried so many grips it's not even funny. I originally power gripped everything but my accuracy just wasn't there. I tried some variant of the fan grip called a fork grip and it's revolutionized my game.

I need to work on keeping the disc down so it doesn't shoot up and stall out as much. I'm loving my wizard putter but holy crap does the charcoal grey color disappear in shadows. I've about lost this thing a good million times already.

I'll finish with a quick story from our game yesterday. I drive straight into a neck high patch of briars and go in after my beast. For being blood red I couldn't find it for a good 10 minutes and actually found somebody else's disc. It was labeled Jason with a 303 area code phone number listed. It was a really nice disc branded Tangent, and as much as the selfish greedy side of me wanted to keep it I planned on calling/texting him later to let him know. An hour later I see someone off in the distance throwing 10+ discs, so I wave the disc I found in the air and he looks over and gives me a big "hey woohoo!" motion. It turns out being his and I walk away feeling good about myself :)

Anyway that's my story. I originally planned on typing up a short blurb here, but over the course of the day as I've been typing this it's ballooned. I've typed it up in chunks so I apologize if it's all over the place. Moral of the story is I'm really having a blast!

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
Rule #1...have fun! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Latest posts