• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie looking for advice on a weekly routine

BigRemy

Hello everyone, I'm a somewhat newish player from Milwaukee, WI. I kept hearing friends talking about disc golf and I would drive past the local courses, so I got really curious and bought some discs on discount at a family member's used sporting goods store. I went out alone on the morning of April 20th (just a coincidence lol) and it quickly became my obsession. I play a round or two early in the morning a couple times a week and I also practice putts in my backyard a few days a week as well.

Now I don't think it needs to be said, but quite frankly I stink. All areas of my game need work, but I feel like I'm turning the corner. I spent most of the summer working with just a mid and a putter, and I just recently started trying out drivers and building a bag as I build more confidence in my form. I'm starting to shave off a couple strokes even though I'm playing less due to the cold weather.

I want to become a better player. I'm willing to put in the time even with my limited schedule as a father, a husband and a student. I need to know the best, most efficient way to do this.

I know that most of the advice is for newb's to stay off the course completely, but I still plan to play a round or two early on Sunday Mornings. I've been doing this since I've started, and there's almost never traffic on any of the courses I play in the area, and when there is I always insist on more experienced players playing through. This is a great time for me to relax, get fresh air, exercise and have a little fun even though I'm playing bogey golf at best.

So here's my question. I'm trying to allocate one to two hours a day Monday through Friday to either putt practice or field work. I miss a lot of short putts and even some within 20 ft., but at the same time I have some problems with oat and keeping the disc flat on my drives. Should I focus more on putting or throwing and how many of these days should I focus on each?

Field work will get you better results quicker.

What I did when I started was splitting the time between driving and putting 50/50. Putting is so important.

I use a football field to practice on and the first thing I did was getting those damn drivers from one footgoal to the other. Then I started shaping lines, still from footgoal to footgoal. With all the discs in the bag. Each disc has its own puspose and line you want to throw it on, always think about the line before you throw and then see how close you can get to it.

All this in 15 minutes sessions, separated by 15 minutes putting sessions.

Of course hitting a course on weekends to see how much of the new stuff you learned you can allready implement is recommendet. And to keep it fun of course :)

My wife bought me a Traveler basket for Christmas, since then I've been doing the 100 putts for 100 days thing on youtube. Since I'm a newbie as well, I started out at 10 feet and move back to 15 feet, split the distance 50/50 for now. I also take time and work on some distance putts, around 30 feet out to get a feel for them. Plus my backyard has a few trees so I can practice some bad lies, anny and hyzer line putts as well.

I don't know if it was dumb luck, adrenaline, or the fact that I'm practicing my putts but yesterday I played in a local mini and ended up with a personal best, and sank some tough 25+ foot birdie putts, and won my card. I started out wanting to drive for 400 feet, but after playing with some folks for the first time, I've learned that I can drive shorter, and still beat them by my short game pretty easily.

Field work sadly isn't something I do unless I get a new disc, but I really, really should work on that.

I don't agree with the "stay off the course completely" advise. Granted, if it's busy, stay out of peoples way, but if it's open? Have at it. I throw at least 5 days a week, whether on a field or a course. One of my favorite ways to practice is to load my bag and head to the course. I play the shot I count first and then I throw the rest of my discs (say drivers) on different lines, or the same line. Yesterday I did this mostly with mids. You'll learn your discs better this way and how each disc flies,whether it be an annie, flex, flat or hyzer line even on lines you wouldn't expect. Not every shot is straight.

You'll also learn which type of rims release more consistently for you. This was a big eye opener for me. When I first started, I didn't like beaded rims, just didn't feel right, now it's pretty much all I have for mids and putters because they release much more consistently for me.

On Sunday, I took every disc I own (60+) out to the field to find out which ones roll best for me on forehand, backhand and cut rollers. Other times I just take mids and practice accuracy and different lines.

Sometimes suggestions are a starting point, but in the end, nothing beats your own experience.

Smigles- That's what I was thinking, but some people are in the camp of putting is most important

Mark- I just recently got a traveling basket too, and if it would be warmer here I'd already be doing the 100 putts/100 days thing. Usually when I practice putt, I do about 3-4 rounds on the 1025 app. I don't have room inside to set up the basket and my hands get super dry and crack when it's cold, so outside of the weekly round where I bundle up and use a couple hand warmers, I try not to practice when the "feels like" temp is below 25F. Once March comes around, I should be throwing 5-6 days a week.

And if you haven't tried the 1025 app, you should. After only a couple weeks, I noticed a lot better accuracy from 25+. I think you can only get it on iphone, but if you don't have one you can find pdf files with the same game that you can print off the computer, except I think they call it "Perfect Putt".

Grotto- That is exactly what I'm planning. I'm trying to limit my bag to 15 and learning the lines of each disc.

Practice practice practice. Go out to an open field and just keep emptying your bag, much easier to assess hitches in technique when obstacles are a non-factor.

The most important thing is proper grip. There are many helpful YouTube tutorials that can educate you in regards to grip.

Next is the actual arm mechanics. For backhand, pull your arm across your chest, don't swing your arm. I use the analogy "pull-starting a snowmobile" but anything with a recoil works. Keep your wrist straight, breaking or bending your wrist robs you of snap, which robs you of spin. Google the "towel drill". Know it. Love it.

Last is footwork. Start with a no-step. Once that feels natural, the one-step is the next stage. After that feels natural, learn the x-step and be amazed at how far you can throw. Good luck:D

Practice everything. Easiest way to do this for me was these 2:

1) practice approaching and putting together. Get about 150feet away from the basket and approach with several discs, then walk up and putt them in. Get to where you can park anything within 150 feet.

2) when practicing drives, learn to drive without a runup. There are plenty of videos on pec drills and such. These are way more valuable then most new people think. Plus it helps you clean up drives and approaches at the same time. I've been playing 6 years and to this day almost any drive or approach I do under 200 feet I do from a standstill.

Wow at two hours a day five days a week I would be burned out, but to each his own. I find field practice more important than anything starting out, followed by putting practice, and then playing courses. If you can find a good player with experience to play a round with here and there that would be good. Sometimes chilling at the park after a round and watching some other people throw can be helpful if you can't meet up with someone right away. More you hang around a course the more people you will meet eventually too.

All good advice but don't neglect practicing upshots/approaches from different angles - R to L, L to R, and dead straight. I'm talking about shots in the 60' to 200' range with the goal of parking them under the basket so you can tap in. I find my putting game improves dramatically if I can actually reach out and touch the basket

I am new this year too. The one drill I found the most helpful was to make 1000 putts from 15' then 20' - and now working on 25'. It takes more then one day, but worth the time. I do field practices twice a week, practice putting daily and play as often as possible.

All good advice but don't neglect practicing upshots/approaches from different angles - R to L, L to R, and dead straight. I'm talking about shots in the 60' to 200' range with the goal of parking them under the basket so you can tap in. I find my putting game improves dramatically if I can actually reach out and touch the basket

Worry about upshots and putting and other subdivisions of throwing after you understand how to THROW and things will fall into place much more quickly, i teach lots of locals where I am at, particularly how to bomb forehand. I have seen many people go from being unable to break 200 ft to being able to get em out upper 300s over the course of one season, it all starts with field work. I wish I had somebody telling me to shorten my throw mechanics, hit the field, and to try something beefier than a 175 jls when I started back in 2002 btw.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys! It's pretty obvious that I probably should go out to the field more often.

And thanks for the drill suggestions. Through you guys (and the disc golf wormhole that opened up looking for info on your suggestions), I discovered the right pec drill (which I saw but ignored for some odd reason), 1,000 putts (which I will incorporate into my putt Practice), some grip exercises and other things
I can do when it's too cold/rainy/snowy to play here in WI and what I was doing wrong with the towel snap exercise.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for good newbie drills that haven't been mentioned?

And thanks again guys. I've been at this online since July, watching youtube vids, listening to podcasts and reading articles trying to fix my flaws and more light bulbs went off in my head in the last day than the five months prior.

The most practice I've ever done is putting at the practice basket while I wait for my always late friend to show up for a round! Then again, it took my about 10 years to hit a stride in my game and even now I don't have much of a forehand.

If I could go back in time though, I probably would have done a lot more with my putting. My biggest weakness is the inability to have any chance at putts longer than 25 feet. My motion just doesn't really have it and I have to change motions to something less accurate just to get it there.

I guess it depends on what your goals are? Playing PDGA events? Beating your local league? Throwing 400+ ft? Improvement comes in several different ways. There is a big difference in playing well alone and playing well on a lead card on Sunday at an event.

The amount of information out there can be and really is overwhelming. For me I have to take a break from these forms from time to time to regroup and remember to have fun.

I think it can be helpful to find local players who are also looking at improving and work together. I'd bet there are a ton of good players in your area who would be happy to play rounds with you etc. Watch what the better players do and ask questions. Have them critique what you're doing.

Have a goal with your practice - I think this is easier said that done. It's easy to go out to a field and just chuck discs but what did we learn? Maybe how something flies in the particular wind we run into that day. Grab a camera - or use the one on your phone and take video. This is so helpful. Compare it to what you see on youtube. Check out the technique form here too and listen to sidewinder and HUB (among many others) - these guys get it - even if it isn't your throw - start to see common elements you have with other players.

If it were me, here's what I would do. Take your practice basket to a field and grab your putters and mids and find a place where you can take 150ft shots and in from 4 different angles (so you have different winds) get to a place where you make 90% of these and move back to 175, 200, 225 etc. Putt everything out, "finish each hole" and keep track of how often you take a 1 a 2 or a 3 (hopefully no 4s :)) If you can be deadly from say 250 and in (and again, not sure how far you're throwing now) you'd be ahead of the game. This works two fold - you practice upshots which are common shots in the game and you get practice finishing holes out - thus getting in putting practice. You also deal with pressure to an extent as when you throw a bad upshot, you need to save the putt.

I guess it depends on what your goals are? Playing PDGA events? Beating your local league? Throwing 400+ ft? Improvement comes in several different ways. There is a big difference in playing well alone and playing well on a lead card on Sunday at an event.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear with that. My main goal for 2015 is to knock 5 to 10 strokes off of my average score.

I played mainly for fun in 2014 and while I had glimpses of improvement, it was nothing substantial. I want to play tournaments in 2016 and I'm playing bogey golf at best. I know I can play tournaments now, I just don't want to be embarrassed by my terrible play and I want the thrill I get from earning that birdie, making an awesome shot or posting a lower score. I want to get rid of my terrible form and be more consistent with my shots.

So my plan for this year is to study a bit and practice, practice, practice. I was going to start playing random doubles later this year to learn and get used to playing in front of more people. I have no aspirations right now of throwing 400 or placing first. At an out-of-shape 35, I'll just be happy to keep up.

And as for that drill, I think it's perfect. I'm thinking I'll use that one a lot.

I know that most of the advice is for newb's to stay off the course completely, but I still plan to play a round or two early on Sunday Mornings. I've been doing this since I've started, and there's almost never traffic on any of the courses I play in the area, and when there is I always insist on more experienced players playing through. This is a great time for me to relax, get fresh air, exercise and have a little fun even though I'm playing bogey golf at best.

I do not at all agree with the above. It is important to note that field work is going to be the most efficient practice forms....but you need to know WHAT to practice, and that comes from getting in good rounds. I would recommend:

1. Join a weekly league. Bonus points if it rotates courses, but if not an option, no worries. This will get you your competetive rounds in to test what you are practicing - as well as highlight what areas you need to focus on. A side bonus - as it is competetive - you get practice making clutch putts, throws, etc.
  2. Practice with a purpose. The common newbie mistake is just going to the yard and practicing throwing further...each time. I know, I've been there, done that. I get much better results practicing specific shots, preferably with specific holes in mind. What gave me the best motivation was picking a (realistic) hole that I would play in leagues that I wanted to birdie (or have a putt). Practice that shot repeatedly for the week to see if you can get the payoff on the course. For example - I really want #5 at basil. Need a shot that is straight out a tight tunnel, turning over and holding the anny before flexing back. I spent a lot of time working on that shot shape and have now been able to put it at the circles edge and just need to convert. Once you get that down - work on the next SHOT to practice.
  3. Take videos of your fieldwork and post them online in the technique forums to get them analyzed. The longer you wait, the more you will be practicing bad form and ingraining bad habits. Make sure you are practicing correctly - not just practicing.

Get a net to throw into. It isn't as helpful as field work, but you can throw about 10x as many discs. If you're trying to solidify something, or just want to get a more consistent release (who doesn't) then you can get your reps in with a limited schedule. This is not a direct substitution for field work, though.

Putt every day. Even if it's only 15 minutes. Missing a day isn't a crisis or anything, but putting improves more from one day to the next than from one hour to the next.

Practice upshots. From 60'-150'. Having 10+ of your favorite upshot disc will make practice more efficient. If you have that many, though, don't just throw backhand hyzer upshots the whole time; ideally you wouldn't throw 2 identical upshots in a single set.

Practice a variety of shots. Get proficient with forehand and backhand. The learning curve means improvement is easier in skills you are less proficient in. So the easiest way to improve is to improve your most valuable non-primary shot, typically.

"I use a football field to practice on and the first thing I did was getting those damn drivers from one footgoal to the other."

Really? wow... I think much better first advice would be to just get a stable putter and go out anywhere and just throw. Learn to throw the disc level, flat, while throwing it hard. Measure your distance once in a while. Set goals of 50,100,150,200ft. Try to reach each goal throwing your putter, straight and not too high. Granted to get up to 200ft and beyond you will need to throw your putter a little higher but try to stay low as possible. The reason to learn with a putter is, it will visually show you if you're throwing too much hyzer, anhyzer, etc, etc. Granted...you may be able to just chuck it far right away...but I'm talking about reaching those distances on low, straight lines where the disc comes out of your hand level and isn't s-curving, hyzering, etc, etc.