• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie needs bag recommendation.

harley_dude

Newbie from Tulsa, OK and need some help on choosing a bag.

Started playing about 6 months ago and am loving it. Still learning, still learning, still learning. Right now I'm throwing an average of 200ft with my Buzzz. Still working on my grip and trying to develop snap. Play and practicing 1-3 times a week. Love playing in the woods.

Currently, I have 8 disks (bought most before i discovered this site), 3 putters, 3 mids, 2 fairway's. I usually bring a 40oz Hydroflask and a Rex arm disc retriever (I seem to always find the deep water).

I've been stuffing everything into a Camelbak Rim Runner backpack with some DIY PVC, but looking to upgrade to something more organized and more functional.

Grip has a a PDGA special right now that brings the EQ B-15 within $50 of the UPD Shift but the special ends this week. But then on the other end of the spectrum is the crunch box with quads…but not sure if I'll be happy with it. And then I'm wondering about just going whole hog in and getting a Zuca or Delta 10 cart.

I'd hate to miss out on the PDGA special, but would hate more on making a decision I'll just come to regret.

I have broad shoulders, tall torso, stubby legs, and am trying to work off the belly. Any suggestions on my first purpose designed disc carrier. BTW, I like the idea of the nutsac and keeping it KISS but between the Rex and the hydroflask I don't think it would work for me.

Not sure what the real "difference" is between quad straps and a backpack for someone with my dimensions.

Recommendations?

The newProdigy BP-3 is $30 and seems to be getting good reviews. That would be my first choice for the money

Since you already have PVC skills (and some PVC) grab a Embark Jartop from Target for $24 or less and your set. Been using one for a few months now and love it. I like it better then my buddies Magellan as its more durable and not quite as bulky. I can get 15-16 discs in the main compartment and at least 2 putters in the front/laptop sleeve.

You can't go wrong.

Fade Crunch will be too small too soon. You will fill it up. I love the Fade Tourney. I use the single strap. I also own a Grip backpack & Innova straps. I use the Grip once in a while. I did not like using the straps on my Fade bag & still use the standard shoulder strap. You should go to the course and try on full bags and see what is comfortable. I am sure if you go to a club round there will many players with different bags and if you ask nice you can try some on.

Honestly, after using both, I much prefer my UPD Shift over the Grip B-15. The layout is just so much more convenient and it weighs considerably less. The only downside is the single drink holder, but a 40oz Hydroflask still fits in the Shift, and a second bottle sits in the bottle compartment easily.

In my Shift on longer/hotter days, I have 18 discs, two towels clipped to the D-Rings, two towels inside the lower compartment, a 40oz hydroflask in the bottle holder, and a frozen 32oz Powerade in the bottom compartment. There's not a real good spot for a mini-clipboard like the Grips have, but between the weight differential and the ergonomics of the disc storage, I wouldn't give up my Upper Parks for anything in that size range.

Thanks for the responses. i really liking the idea of getting the bag off my back, so I think I'm going for a cart.

Now I just need to decide between the ZUCA Ridge Roller, ZUCA Backpack, and Delta Ten.

6 months in and already going for a cart with 8 discs to your name? On wooded courses I think a cart would be awful. Bumping along constantly over all the roots, stumps, rocks etc. I would stick to something smaller with room for expansion and then move on to something even bigger.

I used the Fade Crunch for years. It's durable and fits about 10-12 discs in the main compartment plus 2 in the putter pocket. large pocket for storage and a nice size water bottle holder. Even a mini holder on the front of the putter pocket. I don't see a reason in going much bigger than that.

If I saw a guy rolling a cart around and went over to say hi, and then noticed he only had 8 discs flopping around in it I think I'd bust out laughing. Just sayin...

Thanks for the responses. i really liking the idea of getting the bag off my back, so I think I'm going for a cart.

Now I just need to decide between the ZUCA Ridge Roller, ZUCA Backpack, and Delta Ten.

On wooded courses I think a cart would be awful. Bumping along constantly over all the roots, stumps, rocks etc. I would stick to something smaller with room for expansion and then move on to something even bigger.

DGM is right. You may want to look into a backpack that you can mount on a ball golf bag cart. That way, on open courses, you can cart right along, then when terrain is less than friendly, you can pop the bag off and throw it over your shoulders.

As someone who has played the woods of tulsa. A cart would roll through all of them. U may need to grow a collection before needing a cart that holds 20+

With that said. I would stick with the bag idea and spend some $ on Discs. Then again a huge void in a zuca will make for alot of room for brewskies.

Me personally.... im waiting on the Delta 11. I kinda like the new RR customs Zuca for the Backpack. Just dont think it would hold my Mahal's very well.

Fossa Tanna or Tana Pro http://fossadiscgolf.com/collections/fossa-bags

I started 7 moths ago, I was like you playing practically everyday. My number of disc increased and I needed a larger bag. I bought a Magellan from Academy and it lasted 3 month with my day to day play. The PVC wouldn't have helped. I looked around and found the Fossa Tana. I ended up buying the pro bag a few weeks ago. The material and quality equal or exceed the material and quality of bags that cost $100+ more.

I can't express how awesome the bag is. Check it out. It has the ability to be clipped to a cart, umbrella holder, stool holder, holds 20+ disc easily.

I converted from a Crunch+Quads to a Shift and never looked back. Best bag ever. I've got a V2 and I'm really wanting a current model just because they're so good.

Here's my bag experience, and I'm sure many here will relate:

I began with a handfull of discs, noticed others carrying bags, so ordered a cheap starter bag (Lightning) off Ebay. Had more discs than I could fit in it just a few weeks after its arrival... Did some research, cost comparison, etc., and bought a Fade Crunch. Used it a year or so, carried 16 discs and a putter in it (remove the divider, turn the discs 90 degrees, and you can fit way more than the "recommended" 10-12. My disc collection continued to grow, my skills continued to improve, and I felt like I needed to carry more discs, so stepped up to the Fade Comp bag, with Fade quad straps. Carried that about six months, got swept up in the backpack craze, bought and modded a cheap backpack and tried it out a few months. Realized I was carrying the backpack around-one handed more than on my back, went back to the Fade Comp w/straps. Now that I'm more comfortable shaping shots with fewer molds, I find myself going out with the Fade Crunch more often than anything else.

More, bigger, newer, isn't always better.

By the way, I LOVE the Fade quad straps. The rainhood compartment makes a great shoulder pad for just slinging your bag over one shoulder to head to your next shot.

Agreed^. Bigger doesn't equal better.

My first "bag" was one I made out of duct tape. I kept 4 discs in it. Upgraded to an Ultimate Torso pack in 1998. That was a GREAT bag. It could hold 11 discs. Modded it to use quad shocks. I carried that until 2014 (still works. I use it for my dog discs now.)

My little bro passed on a revolution carolina to me. It was well used but still functional. The durability is outstanding. I carry it now and wish I had just a bit more room for plastic, lol. It can carry all I need for me and the dog. He gets one side pouch and one drink holder. I carry 2 nalgenes for him and 2 for me in the summertime.

I will eventually get a new bag. When I do it'll be the first one I wil have paid for. Not bad for 20 years.