• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie wants another driver

kingjames1014

* Ace Member *
Ok i have been playing for a few months now. i have all Innova Dx plastic. I use the Climo fork grip with these.

175 Beast- can throw straight with a little hyzer at the end ~ 275
175 Teerex- all i get is big hyzer.may keep to learn FH with. ~265
150 Leopard- my anny disc. get about 225 ft.

I would like to have one more driver in the bag. What disc would you folks suggest for a beginner? No preferrence on brand or plastic type.

Thanks!

you might want to try something a touch lighter than the max weights you have been using
you might see an increase in your distance

lots of people like the River

maybe try a Teebird or an Eagle L

A Valkyrie in either DX or Champ would be another good beginner driver that should allow you to get some more distance. Upper 160's - 170 should suit you well.

If you want to improve control and distance fast, then stick with your drivers. If you gotta have a new one, then try something like a Valk/Eagle/Teebird in the 160-170g range. How is your Lep flying? Is it landing flat or turning into the ground? When I began I found two DX Leps and they would flip right into the ground. Now I can hyzer flip them and they will go laser straight with good clean form. Not trying to be a snob, but trying to help. A really common mistake is to throw overstable discs and purposely turn them over so that they come back and make a big "S". It can work early on, but you will soon learn that it can hinder throwing hyzer flips and straight drives/approaches. If you are tossing that Beast straight and flat 275', then you are doing well.

Oh yeah, gotta say it....Celtics whipped that ass huh?

Disccraft makes some gread drivers. Try an FLX Surge SS, or an ESP XL. I got a used XL lately and am in love with it. If you need something understable, go with the Avenger SS.

Just stop throwing the Beast and Teerex. I know they are further for you but they also might be why your Leo is turning over at 225'.

Learn to throw your putters and mids, and if you must get another driver, get a mid 160s Leopard (heavier than you have), Cheetah, Gazelle, Cyclone, Panther or Impact.

I love the River but wait until you get the ones I listed closer to 300'.

I think you will find it amazing what the difference in a piece of paper of weight will do. 175g discs will wear you out fast.

Also slower discs.

I think you should keep your leo and work with that. Drop the beast and teerex and go with a slower driver such as your leo, gazelle, or cheetah and work to push those out to 300+ before you move up. You should go check out the discing down thread. Do you drive with mids and putters at all? If not, you should pick up something along the lines of a buzz, roc, Wizard or even a comet and start pushing those farther too. Throwing more stable discs in heavier weightsjust.masks form flaws, which is why ur leo may be turning over so early. Distance comes over time. Its not something you can magically. Working on your form Nd accuracy and control is what will help your game and improve your overall distance over time. Just dont think by getting newer/faster discs is going to somehow give you more distance bc it will actually hurt your game.

I'd say definitely get a teebird, one of the best discs ever made imho....

You also may want to try a discraft flash. Pretty understable and easy to throw....

2 cents

get a mid 160s Leopard
I love the River but wait until you get the ones I listed closer to 300'.

Why^?
every river I have (6) is less stable and easier to throw than a leopard...except a freaky 176 opto that is about as stable as a tbird.

As most everyone else suggests, I always recommend that new players grab a dx teebird. I am also of the opinion that the beast and teerex are probably a bit much and there are other discs that could do those same jobs better. I know a lot of people that use champ sidewinders or dx valks for the same shot you use the beast for with great success, and those discs may be easier to control and get consistent shots. For your teerex, I'd suggest getting a banshee or (my preference) an Eagle-X. I have 350-375 feet of power and I use my champ eagles for stable hyzer flips to spike hyzers to forehands. Great all around disc for that shot.

Why^?
every river I have (6) is less stable and easier to throw than a leopard...except a freaky 176 opto that is about as stable as a tbird.

How far you throwing them? The guys is flipping a Leopard at 225' so I just think he would be better off learning to throw those, then he can see what a River does closer to 300' and will appreciate it even more.

I mean, I guess he could, but I've never tried throwing the River on a 225' of power throw and they are a little faster than the Leopard.

Latest posts