• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbs make my day on a daily basis

I still dont see how the "guy" is wrong for selling the disc, its his job to sell discs, not to make sure what your skill level or whether or not you can handle the disc. Would it have been great for the guy to take the kid out in a field or run a thorough disc golf background check, sure, but is it really part of his job?

A guy who's been playing for 21 years is a semi-nube?

Can be. I made it like 14 years... :eek:

the thread is 50% troll anyways.

Uhhhhh. . . . . I kinda think that is what set him off, dude.

This is the Internet, so I wouldn't worry too much about how people judge you.

Hell, there's at least 25 people here that talk to me. That's like 23 more than real life. I'm way ahead of the curve, no matter what happens. :hfive:

I told the dude at Morley Field (San Diego) "I can throw my beast pretty far but I can't turn it over."

He insisted I buy a Katana.

Here is my problem.

a) I told him I can't turn over the beast
b) He works at Morley Field.

Morley Field is a tight technical course, where any errant shot is going to hit somebody waiting on a nearby tee pad or putting on a basket very close by. This course has been around forever and has grown too long for the property it is on. I was actually pretty appalled that he would recommend a high speed driver to a relative-noob. This is the exact OPPOSITE type of disc he should be encouraging people to play at his course. He should be promoting mid-range or low speed fairway drivers. Control and consistency...not "WOW look how far that went! And how far it f--cked off to the left!"

That experience, plus Morley Field being too long/crammed in for its own good, is why I have refrained from writing a review. I don't want the thumbs down by locals :)

Anyway, the point is, I do think the shop owner was wrong in recommending that disc. I have no doubt that he offers them to people newer than me. His course has people EVERYWHERE, some holes shoot directly at the parking lot, others toward a fence, others toward tee pads, and still others directly above baskets. He should not be perpetuating the stigma of the noob by selling them the 'latest greatest' disc. As somebody else said 'is it always their job?' In this case, I think YES. Absolutely. Especially if there is a tight over crowded course surrounding the pro shop.

It is not ALWAYS the noobs fault.

Question from a n00b:

If the guy had thrown a putter on that hole after explaining to his bro that he was discing down to improve his form and it flew 150 ft. or less would you have laughed at him any less?

Well, to be fair, I didn't laugh at him. Would I feel less amusement / be less aggrieved by the Apish sales tactic? Certainly! There is no shame in sucking, and really there was no shame in what the new guy did at all. The shame comes in telling a new player that Apes are the kewlest because they are speed a billion and have a max rim job and are sooooo over stable and that makes them go farther and that it will set the world record for sure because it is was designed by NASA and jesus at the pentagon.

Well, to be fair, I didn't laugh at him. Would I feel less amusement / be less aggrieved by the Apish sales tactic? Certainly! There is no shame in sucking, and really there was no shame in what the new guy did at all. The shame comes in telling a new player that Apes are the kewlest because they are speed a billion and have a max rim job and are sooooo over stable and that makes them go farther and that it will set the world record for sure because it is was designed by NASA and jesus at the pentagon.

I knew that was Jesus that I saw at the Pentagon. I should have gotten his autograph. You would have thought the robe was a give-away, but no.

Your waiting ended before it began :hfive:

oh i didn't know he said all that, in your OP you said he turned around smiled and said that's the ape.

The kid proceeded to give a full dissertation on why the Ape is the best disc ever. "Its speed 13, so its like the fastest disc ever made. It like goes farther then anything else, and its really overstable and that makes it go farther too." "Its rim is super wide so better players can grip it soooo well." "This disc is so long it will set the distance record fur sure!"

This is actually what he said. Like Christianity, I may have embellished a little about the Jesus stuff...

Not a whole lot, the thread is 50% troll anyways. Originally, I was just amazed that a complete noob would get sold an Ape and was expressing my amazement publicly. At this point the point is to contribute to the trolling and defend my name when people only read the original post and make snap judgments about me.

Aw no way. I gotta hear this one. How? I'm curious how a non-offensive DG post can affect real life relationships.

I seriously am just curious.

and people need to chill the F out and stop being such super F'ing nerds.
This is the one place on the net I thought I would avoid super nerds...but...weak, it seems to be happening here too. (not you MNcyclone)
haha I read through a handful of pages and get mindblown.:confused:

Latest posts