• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

newer player building his bag

Welcome to DGR.

I wouldn't list your girlfriend's discs especially if you don't use them. also I admire your willingness to forgo fast drivers. your reading comprehension level gives me hope for the future.

with all this said I would say your bag should be:

DX Aviar (you can keep the champ but you must learn to love DX type plastic putters)
Stingray
Shark - DX is fine and readily available although you may not like it since you didn't like the Roc
Teebird - the 170g Champ should serve you well in the Windy City.

But if you went just Aviar, Stingray, Teebird you would have a very respectable beginner's bag. and remember to always have fun.

keltik said:
Welcome to DGR.

I wouldn't list your girlfriend's discs especially if you don't use them. also I admire your willingness to forgo fast drivers. your reading comprehension level gives me hope for the future.

DX Aviar (you can keep the champ but you must learn to love DX type plastic putters)
Stingray
Shark - DX is fine and readily available although you may not like it since you didn't like the Roc

But if you went just Aviar, Stingray, Teebird you would have a very respectable beginner's bag. and remember to always have fun.

Thanks for the welcome keltik. I listed my gfs discs because they are also in my bag and I do practice with them occassionally etc. She really likes the rims of the roc ( I think they are beaded?) And so her magnet and cheetah represent that style.

Why do you recommend the dx aviar over the champ? I lookec at the shark previously, why do you recommend it?

I'm all for breaking frugality when it comes to tried and true easy to use classics. Teebird being one of them. Others on the short list depend on proficiency and power but at new player level Roc, Aviar, Wizard, Sole, Pure, Ion, Anode, P2, Omega, Magnet, Challenger, Judge (new and still having a classic flight that is great), Z Buzz, Coyote, Aurora MS, Axis, Warship, Leopard, XL JLS, Northman, Sidewinders of the latest style, River, TL, TD, all Valkyries except DX are fine and Stags are new but probably just fine.

For more power or harder fades Predator, Wasp, Gator and D Zone (very overstable), Sentinel MF, probably Breaker or the original in quick wearing plastic Ringer,Jokeri, Mace (yeah yeah new yet the performance is not in doubt and the Ghost should also compete with the Rocs), Beast, Wraith, Flow, PD, PD2, Destroyer, and what is the Dynamic discs speed 12 disc named?, Hurricane, Slayer, Halo, Nuke, King, Boss. Not in any particular order.

I agree partly with JR. Getting new discs won't make you much better. When I was new, my throws were so unpredictable that I could barely tell differences between discs. My wacky throws made some discs seem better than others when it was just randomness.

I made the mistake of buying a champion orc when I could only throw about 200 feet. It was so overstable that it started fading immediately out of my hand, and to get it to go anywhere, I had to throw very anhyzer, with some off-axis torque, and this resulted in really bad technique which I had to forget and re-learn after I saw the light and started throwing slower discs.

So make sure your discs aren't too overstable: you should be able to get them to cruise about straight for a while.

But yeah, you're not going to be throwing a 150g dx driver forever, and you might as well get used to the feeling of a beefier disc.

Also, for putters, a lot of people don't like premium plastic (star/champion), and prefer basic plastic (DX/pro) because the premium plastic feels too slippery with the light touch of a putt. The low durability of basic plastic doesn't matter as much with putters

fireball42 said:
keltik said:
Welcome to DGR.

Stingray

Thanks for the welcome keltik. I listed my gfs discs because they are also in my bag and I do practice with them occassionally etc. She really likes the rims of the roc ( I think they are beaded?) And so her magnet and cheetah represent that style.

Why do you recommend the dx aviar over the champ? I lookec at the shark previously, why do you recommend it?

I recommend DX over Champ because of the feel and grip associated with the plastic. Putting is very feel and grip oriented. Higher grade plastics like Champ tend to get slippery when wet. This is manageable when driving or approaching but when you are putting you absolutely have to have a sure grip on the disc. better grip gives your more control and feel on the disc and ultimately more accuracy.

I also recommend DX because it is cheaper. You can also find them used for even cheaper and if you lose them you aren't out very much money.

I recommended the Shark because it is a beadless disc (which you admit you prefer) and it is very easy to learn and to throw. It can be had in DX on the cheap and is still available in Star and soon to be a new Champ blend.

bents said:
I agree partly with JR. Getting new discs won't make you much better. When I was new, my throws were so unpredictable that I could barely tell differences between discs. My wacky throws made some discs seem better than others when it was just randomness.

I made the mistake of buying a champion orc when I could only throw about 200 feet. It was so overstable that it started fading immediately out of my hand, and to get it to go anywhere, I had to throw very anhyzer, with some off-axis torque, and this resulted in really bad technique which I had to forget and re-learn after I saw the light and started throwing slower discs.

So make sure your discs aren't too overstable: you should be able to get them to cruise about straight for a while.

But yeah, you're not going to be throwing a 150g dx driver forever, and you might as well get used to the feeling of a beefier disc.

Also, for putters, a lot of people don't like premium plastic (star/champion), and prefer basic plastic (DX/pro) because the premium plastic feels too slippery with the light touch of a putt. The low durability of basic plastic doesn't matter as much with putters

Bad form will lead to incorrect assumptions about your form and how any disc flies. Therefore it is better to learn skills and track how the core discs in your bag change behavior during your growth as a player. And not just from the wear on the disc.

Don't knock the light discs. I got a D4 FR 173 to 430'ish yesterday in below freezing conditions and still i like to use Blizzard 13x Boss and 14x Quasar. Although both are challenged by the D4 :-D Light discs for life because the older you get the more you will need the light discs.

After 11 years of playing but only about four-five years of reading here i'm still repairing off form so you must not underestimate the dangers of learning an improper form then needing to break it and then stomp it back to the ground when it rears up its ugly head again and again and learning a new form and solidifying it. Trust me old form will resurface, It has for most if not for everyone.

JR said:
After 11 years of playing but only about four-five years of reading here i'm still repairing off form so you must not underestimate the dangers of learning an improper form then needing to break it and then stomp it back to the ground when it rears up its ugly head again and again and learning a new form and solidifying it. Trust me old form will resurface, It has for most if not for everyone.

Here, here. I thought I'd beat my OAT issues months ago. And they yesterday it happened over and over again! I was planting my foot too far left causing balance issues. You pointed it out in a video of mine months ago, and I fixed it temporarily, but it's back.

I got my new champ teebird, and i hope i can at least get a few throws in the field nearby tommorrow.

now that i think i have a good bag set up, my next step is to make a video of my technique and post it for critique. unfortunately finals time is upon me, and for any other unfortunate souls that have been in law school, finals require 95% of my life when they come into season, so the video will probably have to wait. :(

i was at a disc shop recently and feeling some putters. i put my hands on a JK pro aviar-x and i absolutely feel in love with it. it is soft and super grippy, while not having a weird shape or being too different than my champ aviar. it does have a bead but, it is much more subtle compared to the magnets bead.

i ordered a pair of them (in pink of course) and plan to have them replace my champ aviar.

Latest posts