• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Next step up from a Leopard?

I would go Opto Fury and as it gets flippier learn to throw all the angles with it or an Opto River. I would stay away from the Escape, Flow, Renegade and Saint (unless you want a disc a hair less stable than your Thunderbird at 300').

That's my advice, follow it or don't, I really could care less.

Just keep learning how to throw better and you'll get more distance out of that Leopard. You've already spent time chasing plastic in the hopes of getting more distance. IIRC you started with the Leopard somewhere in the 200' range and here you are at 300' with the Leopard instead of any of those other discs in the various threads. A little time and work will get you more Leopard distance, somewhere around 25-50 feet.

But that's not as fun as buying more discs (and throwing other discs can be a learning experience,) so here's what I'd say. Having been in your position (a 300' Leopard thrower) I would recommend a VIP Stag, Biofuzion Escape, Gold Line Saint, or a Pro Thunderbird. These will get you another 20-30 feet in my experience, after a little seasoning. The Thunderbird will need more seasoning than the others, while the Stag will need less seasoning.

FWIW I have been down that road and tried all those discs, but when tournament time came around, I was pulling out a Leopard3. You just may find yourself continuing to lean on the Leopard also.

Honestly at the 280-300' range staying in that speed 7ish range maximum is best if you want a dead straight flight. Discs like the Saint and Escape do have a ton of glide, but they are still faster discs and will fade at <300' shots. Like a mellow Thunderbird as others have said. The Saint does beat in, and I feel like it needs 330'+ to be a laser straight glidey disc, and I think it shines when you can throw it that far without trying full strength so it becomes a glidey tunnel shot disc. So basically I think it would fly -0.5/2 at 300' or less instead of an easy glidey dead straight disc. Still a good glidey control driver for that type of throw, but definitely not the dead straight tunnel glide disc it is at higher arm speed.

The Discmania FD is still my pick for something like a Leo flight, with a little more speed, and extremely neutral. If you want to go up in speed then the Sidewinder is good, but just because it is understable enough that it won't fade out too much at that range, and it definitely goes farther than the Leo by a full disc class.

I don't really have any Trilogy recommendations in this position, I really think the speed 7 range is where they need to get some more discs. There are lots of their discs I haven't tried though. I have no way of knowing how beat in or stable your DX Leo3 is, so things like an Underworld could even work if it's on the heavier and more stable end. The Renegade, which I have thrown one of, made me think of a Sidewinder style of flight and range. The River definitely fits this criteria, it has very good glide but less consistency than the FD. It is not power hungry either.

I would go Opto Fury and as it gets flippier learn to throw all the angles with it or an Opto River. I would stay away from the Escape, Flow, Renegade and Saint (unless you want a disc a hair less stable than your Thunderbird at 300').

That's my advice, follow it or don't, I really could care less.

How much less?

Streets is right though.