• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Next step driver recommendation

centervolume

Hello all

Strengthening and form work have resulted in turning over hades and thrasher pretty consistently.

Looking for a good next step to more stable but still with a lot of glide.

Any recommendations on a driver somewhere around these specs 10-12 speed, 3-5 glide, -2 turn ?(I'm pretty ambivalent on fade numbers so willing to try whatever on that one).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Another idea is to practice with more hyzer. I went from a Thrasher to a Pharaoh to a Corvette. So try a Pharaoh or similar Shryke. If you want to stay Discraft, grab a Crank.

Ok I just picked one up at 167 or so to help out the transition with a touch lighter weight.

I'm throwing mid 300s consistently, around 375 on a "good pull" and absolute max right at 402

Excellent, lighter weight is a good move. I don't recommend bumping up to the warp speed drivers at your distance.
Wraiths are versatile across a range of power levels, they're a good first distance driver for those in the 350-400 feet range while also still suitable for the cannon arms (see GG & James Conrad).

170+ Star Archons are also very good. They start out slightly more stable than -2 I would say. More like -1.5. They're comfortable to throw FH and BH. I've overthrown a 400 foot hole on my course 3 times now and before this year I had been pin high maybe twice. Now I am getting there 1/3 of the time.

Awesome when you can see progress happening. Thanks for the info… I have a used champion archon will get that out of the closet. Also have a couple of destroyers (older more floppy star and newer overstable champion). Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. It's cool to feel like those discs are sort of within reach since when I started at this last June they seemed impossible to throw straight

Enigma. It'll beat in to -2 turn within a couple weeks.

This is actually a really good suggestion. An Enigma is a perfect step up from a Hades. It'll still turn, but isn't super flippy. The Enigma is (IMO) one of the most underrated drivers I've ever thrown.

The Crank or Shryke might also work, as would a Sheriff or Trespass.