• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nexus plastic

Dingus

Banned
Is it just me, or is Innova just selling a slightly better DX plastic at premium plastic cost? I don't get ruffled by many of the Innova shenanigans, but for some reason this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe this is only true because I remember when Innova used to make decent DX plastic fairly consistently.

Dear Dave D: Please just make a good baseline plastic and apply it to the entire lineup. Don't give me second rate garbage and then force me to pay insane prices for limited runs of what should be the standard baseline plastic.

More than 2022 DX. Not even as durable as 90s DX.

I've never held Nexus but in all fairness my 91 92 Cobra is still holding up strong. No way an 11 or 12 with this much use would be tolerable.

The only Nexus I'm really familiar with is the first year of Sexton Fireflies from 2019 IIRC. I throw them off the tee and for one-disc rounds and they have held up well, withstanding tree hits and rocky ground. Not sure about other Nexus discs.

I throw DX Aviars and Rocs, and the 2019 Nexus is definitely more durable. Haven't thrown any DX from the last 3-4 years so not sure how durable/not durable more recent DX is.

I was feeling up a bunch of stock plastic yesterday and the DX is likely still pretty much crap waxy and softer and I could see it beating in real quick. The recent Star is soft almost like GStar as well. I don't even mind Gstar if it's a firmer blend of it, the Star almost felt softer though then that.

The Champ and Pro plastic was pretty good like two years ago. I stocked up on some Pro Wraiths and Champ SW's then picking a 3 of each. Firm and grippy.

I think like 5 years ago the DX was decent but still of course not as good as the 90's stuff.

Proshop prices are probably MSRP for the stock discs now.
'Stock' prices
Plain Nexus is $16 (Xero/Invader) - Nexus is a proshop exclusive
Plain XT/KC/JK/Yeti/R Pro is $13-15
DX is $12
Star is $19
Champion is $18

Modifiers for limited discs
Galactic/Glow/Color Glow (+$1-2)
Tour Series/CFR (+$1-3) (Nexus Barsby Rhyno/CFR Animal/Sexton Firefly)

Some of the price differences are just the Proshop showing the MSRP vs. Dealers discounted advertised prices. The increase in manufacturing costs over the last couple years has raised the prices by $1-2 across Innova's lineup in my experience. Dealers will charge over for the Proshop price for any disc they don't get a discount (CFR/TS/Nexus).

Nexus falls between XT and Yeti/JK in stiffness, durability, & grip. Its a midgrade plastic which seems like a blend of XT, Yeti, and DX from what I've felt. Some DX blends have similar characteristics but majority aren't that close.

Is it just me, or is Innova just selling a slightly better DX plastic at premium plastic cost? I don't get ruffled by many of the Innova shenanigans, but for some reason this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe this is only true because I remember when Innova used to make decent DX plastic fairly consistently.

Dear Dave D: Please just make a good baseline plastic and apply it to the entire lineup. Don't give me second rate garbage and then force me to pay insane prices for limited runs of what should be the standard baseline plastic.

Nexus is my favorite plastic hands down. It's like a firmer, more durable XT, but as it goes with any disc, some are firmer than others. For example I felt a Nexus Animal and it was softer than a Nexus Firefly.

I agree they should have all putters available in all baseline plastic and Nexus should be one of them. I'm fine paying a premium over DX for what is, in my opinion, a better plastic than even the best runs of DX. Sounds like your gripe is more with DX than Nexus. If people weren't buying them at the current prices, they would have to adjust, but it seems the market has spoken.

I'm a big fan of Nexus plastic. I don't like KC Pro much for putters because of the slickness but I do like it's stiffness. Nexus is the best of both worlds. It's pretty durable but not like Star or Champion as it gouges easier but doesn't warp like r—pro. The Aviar P&A in Nexus forms up a littler more shallow and with a small puddle top compared to DX as does the Aviar Driver and Animal. All are great but the Aviar P&A in Nexus is my favorite putter of any brand/plastic combo.

I agree with Neil re stiffnes+grip. I putt and throw weese nexus aviars, they hold up really good to scuffs and warping. The galatics seem to scuff easier and the grip isn't as good.

how does nexus compare to yeti pro? (they sound pretty similar and im wondering if nexus is just rebranded yeti or jk pro putter plastic?)

How does it line up with the DX used for Thunderbirds a couple years back? That stuff was top notch!
(Bump)
I have never tried Nexus either, but the DX used in the first run of DX Thunderbirds were really unusual. Is it the same material as Nexus?

How does it line up with the DX used for Thunderbirds a couple years back? That stuff was top notch!

Hard to say, I haven't felt a driver in Nexus. My impression is that it will not be as good, that run was something special.

I'm not sure Nexus would be appropriate for midranges much less drivers. I think it would have durability issues at those speeds.

I bag an XT Mako3 and it's somehow lasted a full year in the bag at this point. It's kind of a utility disc for me, so it only comes out once a round on average. It's definitely flippy, but that's what I use it for. I'd love to try some mids in Nexus, which I think is ever so slightly more durable.

I'm not sure Nexus would be appropriate for midranges much less drivers. I think it would have durability issues at those speeds.

If DX Rocs can be durable enough, why wouldn't Nexus be able to?

From personal experience, I throw DX Rocs and have been throwing Nexus Fireflies since the 2019 runs. I have played plenty of one-disc rounds with a Firefly, throwing them full power off the tee, hitting trees, rocks, etc. They are definitely still closer to the baseline end of the plastic spectrum, but certainly not a fragile plastic.

Agree that faster drivers might not be great in Nexus plastic, but maybe slower drivers could work (not that it's something I think should be made, but thinking about how DX Teebirds can be very nice flyers.) That one run of DX Thunderbirds was special; probably not a fair comparison.

Nexus is more durable than XT, IME, comparing Fireflies to XT Aviars and Novas.

Last edited:
I was actually googling Nexus vs XT plastic just now and this is the latest thread. Pretty cool!

I have never touched Nexus plastic and am pretty curious about it. I have XT BB Aviars that seem to be exactly like the description for Nexus. Just a little less stiff than KC, and just a little less grippy than JK. Seems to be a best of both worlds, but even stiffer would be better.

My take on the whole thing is if you live in a place where the temperature changes significantly over the year, it makes sense to switch from KC Aviars to something more grippy like XT, JK, or Yeti in the winter. Thomas Gilbert used Yetis when he played with Innova in Canada.

So my question is, can anyone compare XT to Nexus in detail? Specifically in the BB Aviar mold, and using current KC plastic as a baseline. Many thanks in advance

Latest posts