• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nicknames for Holes

All the tee pads at Dolese Youth Park in OKC have hole numbers and nicknames engraved in the concrete. It's nice since the tee signs are mostly unreadable. At least you can tell what hole your on.

We used to have an 18 hole course where every hole had a name on the tee sign. They built a school there and the course became a 9 hole course that only gets some local play. I only remember one name and it was on a hole called "security". There are two trees about 18" apart and the basket is about 4 feet past them. I aced that hole once with a Z Reaper and whenever I play there I still try to figure out how it happened.

What school?

CP Adams - PW2001

1 Frozen Rope
2 Fir, Get Me Not
3 Bye Bye Birdie
4 Cranker Soarus
5 Charlies' Angles
6 Flickin' A Bird
7 Big Forking Deal
8 Ledger Domain
9 Fir Low Time
10 Jailhouse Roc
11 Raspberry Fields Forever
12 Weave It To Be There
13 Ivy Buggin'
14 Rocky Horror Bogey Throw
15 Throw's Gotta Go
16 Way Out Dere? You Betcha!
17 Pachinko Pass
18 Rolling Snake Eyes

The Valley DGC - Current names

1 Diamond Cutter
2 Alley Cast
3 The Right Stuff
4 Four Flight
5 See Der Tree
6 Ridge Runner
7 Valley Curl
8 A Fir Pitch
9 Sumac Sea
10 Hillside Angler
11 Majestic Flight
12 Turn It Down
13 One Flung Low
14 Annie Oakway
15 Big Bend
16 Hurlin' Tunnel
17 Spartan Spinner
18 Uff Dah!

CP Adams - PW2001

1 Frozen Rope
2 Fir, Get Me Not
3 Bye Bye Birdie
4 Cranker Soarus
5 Charlies' Angles
6 Flickin' A Bird
7 Big Forking Deal
8 Ledger Domain
9 Fir Low Time
10 Jailhouse Roc
11 Raspberry Fields Forever
12 Weave It To Be There
13 Ivy Buggin'
14 Rocky Horror Bogey Throw
15 Throw's Gotta Go
16 Way Out Dere? You Betcha!
17 Pachinko Pass
18 Rolling Snake Eyes

haha excellent. Explain #1 or is that just the name of it

Cumberland Green, Fountain, CO

1: Ditcher's Delight (huge ditch on the right...this one I didn't come up with but it rolls off the tongue)
3: Dubya (there's a huge, stupid bush right in front of the teepad)
4: Smackdown (another one I didn't come up with, but I suspect it stems from the huge rock field that stretches across half the fairway)

Kinda stupid, but I use them anyway because nicknames are fun.

Seriously. Check the picture from the course (the bush in the pictures is not leafed out like it is at present) and tell me that doesn't remind you of America from 2000-2008.

I don't usually like it when holes at a new course are named. I think they need to earn those names from the players. For example, a church put in a local course and named every hole something biblical. It was laaaame.

Funny story: In NC there are lots of great courses, most of them at least marginally wooded--some VERY tight. My friends were playing in Iowa or somewhere some years ago, and there was a hole called "The Gauntlet", and there were two small trees in a wide open fairway. It was ridiculous. You could throw over or around them at almost any angle. Terrible name. So I usually call crappy holes "The Gauntlet" now.

Checking the derivation of gauntlet, it turns out it comes from Swedish "gatlopp" which is a combination of two words meaning "lane" and "course." Resume thread.

Nicknames are fun except for when you have no idea because you're on a new course. I went to Pueblo and had a pleasant conversation with two locals about some tips. I just nodded politely when they named a hole instead of referring to it be number. In their defense, the hole named "The Gap" was pretty self-explanatory, though.

Latest posts