• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

night before/morning of tourney routines?

No special prep the night before.
Show up for tourny at prescribed time, wait 30 minutes or so for td and other people to show up.
Worship with Jah.
Hang out with old friends maybe not seen in awhile.
Do as little warm up/practice as possible.
Play in tourny and have fun.

And I always try and buy some merch from the local league/sponsors to support the cause.

Last edited:
Great question.

Any socializing and drinking the night before is moderate. My routine begins with getting clothes, equipment and bag prepped for anything that could conceivably happen. After everything's ready I relax, put my feet up and mentally play the course(s), concentrating on clear targets and clean lines. I play each hole, first with pure throws, then again in bad throw/bad break scenarios, scrambling to save strokes.

I've become a Bob Rotella disciple over the last couple of years, and when time for bed I fall asleep reading one of Dr. Bob's books. Lately it's been The Golfer's Mind, which I've read a dozen or more times.

After waking I get the morning routine out of the way and eat a solid breakfast, easy on the fats, sweets and meats (yeah, I know, what's left?).

Arriving at the course I religiously stretch, then warm up my senior-GM arm throwing tennis balls FH and BH against a wall about 50-60 times (equivalent to a 30-minute field warmup chasing discs). Afterwards, I move on to practice putting and throwing a few of the holes.

The most important part of my pre-start routine comes prior to walking to my first hole. I go off by myself, close my eyes and tell myself there are four thoughts - and only four thoughts - I will have on every shot:
> Think only of what I want to happen.
> Focus solely on my target.
> Trust my throw.
> Accept the result.​

If I do this well, and embrace the process rather than the result, I play relaxed, committed and without doubt. I firmly believe, and have witnessed, that the better I can control my thinking, the better I play.

Wash discs the night before.
Hop on DGCR and get directions
Also browse picture to see if i can decide what to throw
Pack car if it's a long trip ( extra clothes, hats, discs..etc.)
Go to bed early and think about tomorrow's round(s)
Wake up early
Shower and "morning constitutional"
Stop at Mcdonalds for breakfast-egg mcmuffins
Drive to course.
Warm up afew holes waiting for everyone else.
practice putt
Go from there..

Other than preparing for the necessities of a tourney with towels water and rain gear I try to make it a regular day. Otherwise alll the thoughts of the upcomming tourney put too much pressure on me to have fun and throw lights out. I always putt and throw ten-twenty drives to get the blood flowing before all events. Keep it relaxaed like any old round.

If I don't have a long drive, I'll get there early enough to play a quick round of the whole course. I'll throw multiple drives on tricky holes, and just pick up on really crappy drives to get through the course in under an hour. Gets the blood moving and lets me go into the event with an idea of what I want to throw.

Other than that, I treat it like any other round. I bring the same bag, discs, snacks and water I would for any other day playing multiple rounds, and I don't do any special prep the night before.

Night before I do nothing special, maybe eat some pasta an try to get a good nights sleep. Morning of, same deal, wake up, cup of joe an a cig while I peruse DGCR on the crapper, check my bag, make sure I have towels and trail mix for the day, and bring a fresh pair of socks for the 2nd round. Oh, and I also pray to Jah before the round begins, but around here we call it having a "safety meeting."

Honestly, I found the best way to go about playing a good tourney round is not even thinking about it as a tourney round but just another day on the course, perhaps play a little safer than normal but that's about it.

1. Don't play Friday
2. Eat early and well.
3. Prepare everything needed for easy a.m. departure
4. Sleep well
5. Wake up, workout
6. Bacon & eggs
7. Kill it.

Relax with friends and a few beers the night before while practicing (25' and in).
Morning of make my bathroom visit
- light breakfast and a Gatorade prime
- play 3-6 holes with multiple drives
- practice putting at least 20 minutes from a range where I will make 9 out of 10 putts
- then relaxation with my fellow players and attempt to calm myself and get into a zone.
Try and tell myself that I will execute my shots and putts before throws to keep my mental game strong and avoid the self doubt of poor execution.

Night before
------------
- make sure that i have all of the discs that i need for the day, clean and marked
- have a great dinner with my wife
- get to bed at a decent time

Morning of
----------
- Wake up at least two hours before player's meeting
- Get a good breakfast
- Pack my bag, extra clothes, towels and extra discs
- Drive to course
- Change shoes, and grab putters and putt about 20 times
- Throw a couple drives
- Check in, then play

Night before: Buy an energy drink, try to get some sleep.
Day of: Find comfy weather appropriate clothes, consume energy drink, putt until I feel confident, see a man about a dog (take duece)

Night before: Make a note of all the extras I need to bring.
Morning, before leaving house: Try to minimize the number of essential extras I forget.
Morning, at course: Resist the temptation to practice, beyond the minimal warm-up, as there are a limited number of throws in this old arm.

Latest posts