• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night frolf?

I will be hosting a March 16, 2012 Glo Tournament at Hindman Park in Little Rock on that Friday night!
8:00pm Tee Off. This will be a fun game of night golf! If your in the area contact me at 501.837.8878.

I like the word frisbee and the word frolf. Disc golf doesn't flow as nicely. Plus, golf is already another sport so it sounds kind of ripped off anyways. Clearly the only way we can really overcome the name argument is to vote on a new name, sort of like when pro teams let the city vote on the teams new mascot.

I'd like to nominate Airing and Discing.

That way we can say I'm going to go Discing as opposed to "I'm going to play disc golf" Cause I'm not playing anything, I'm putting in work out there!

i wanna change my name to jkfrolf

Yup night disc golf is something that is pretty universal especially in the late summer when regular league play gets to turn dark in the regular round you kinda have to disc in the dark

Portland, Oregon, has a pretty good night frolf (yeah, I said it!) scene. We have an urban course on church property and they have given us to play at night whenever we want. Every Friday there is a night league there, and other random days there is night golf going on. I played last week and the TDs setup a few temporary holes to mix things up and they also light up the baskets with LEDs etc. Really good time!

i wanna change my name to jkfrolf

If you do, I will change mine to "deFrolfer". :)

Night rounds are the best. They are perfect for winter, as the sun sets so early, and finding the glowing snowbank is a lot easier than the right "gash in the snow" after a tree rips your ribbon off.... :doh:

Having the Five-Oh shining lights on you as you play is not as fun, tho. :thmbdown:

Moving from PDX Oregon where night golf is almost always 50 percent of the daily event, to STL Missouri where I cant get anyone to go with me since they are scared of getting busted due to the fact the parks are state owned really sucks.
I need to find myself a private park here in MO

I met a guy at the park yesterday who called it frolf. I couldn't help but chuckle a little.

I know most of you know, but when i was a wee kid, my grandmother lived in phoenix AZ, behind her house was a FROLF course. They used frisbees and the goals were wrapped around super large trees. I used to sit on the hill and watch tournaments. This started my love for ultimate frisbee (played on high school team and received more scores than anyone else that year and eventually fell in love with disc's.
There for to me, FROLF is a game, however different from disc golf.

72105.gif

IMHO I think the reason people get so upset about using the word Frolf is because frisbee is a very jealously guarded trademark. Because of a proposed lawsuit, we HAD to call our sport disc golf and not frisbee golf.

I call it frolf also. so does everyone i go with. and of all the people i have met playing have known EXACTLY what frolf meant. But you guys that are all hurt about us calling it frolf are the players who show up with a bag of 20 discs huh? frolfers are the players who show up with a couple discs in hand and a bowl or two, maybe thats the difference.

Back on topic.

Night discing is awesome. Make sure you do it at a suitably easy course (or just make sure not to buy plastic you'll lose your mind over if you use it). Blacklight flashlights and glow is the way I go. Night golf just after it's rained is a bad idea... or at least here in Sacramento, it is.

I swear, when it's night, it's almost like if you can't see the trees, then they suddenly disappear.

The topic was night disc, right?

Night rounds are a good time.
Pick a shortish course without a lot of underbrush and be sure to bring a flashlight just in case, it will come in handy. I like to use 5 clear champ discs with lights tapped to the undersides as my permanent night bag.
Night disc has been around for some time, just like glow plastics (most of which will glow quite bright when charged with a black light).
It's popular enough that there are even a few night leagues around the cities. (moon dog, WWW, maybe some others?)

Latest posts