• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko Calls Foot Fault on Gurthie ... "Don't you shake his hand, bro.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, we don't know why he called the ff on him though. Maybe he just happened to watch on that throw. Again, there's any easy way to avoid it, and that is not to foot fault.

Maybe, we don't know why he called the ff on him though. Maybe he just happened to watch on that throw. Again, there's any easy way to avoid it, and that is not to foot fault.
I can't argue with the fact that not foot faulting means foot faults don't happen... Giving the benefit of uncertainty to Nikko that he wasn't cherry picking when he calls foot faults makes you seem biased. Then again, I'm biased because Nikko looks like a scumbag in this video :(

What??? Check the rule book.

The first one is a warning and a rethrow with no penalty. They changed the rule this year so the first doesn't have to be seconded to burn the warning, and the rethrow is not triggered unless there is a second. They also made it so you can't call a foot fault on yourself. So basically, if you second the first foot fault call of a round on someone else, you must want them to rethrow. I think there is way too much potential for gamesmanship with the new rule, but whatever. The PDGA has much bigger problems to solve.

Like you said, you are the one who is biased. You can't read his mind though right? I take the same position, no matter who it is.

The first one is a warning and a rethrow with no penalty. They changed the rule this year so the first doesn't have to be seconded to burn the warning, and the rethrow is not triggered unless there is a second. They also made it so you can't call a foot fault on yourself. So basically, if you second the first foot fault call of a round on someone else, you must want them to rethrow. I think there is way too much potential for gamesmanship with the new rule, but whatever. The PDGA has much bigger problems to solve.

Here's the new rules I'm talking about. Used to be the first one of the round was always a free rethrow. Now it depends on whether someone else seconds it. Lame, unless I'm wrong and the rethrow occurs regardless of whether the call is seconded.

802.04 Throwing from a Stance

A player shall receive a warning for the first stance violation in the round. Subsequent stance violations in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty. Stance violations may not be called or seconded by the thrower.

Any throw made from an illegal stance is disregarded. A re-throw must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group.

A rules violation that results in a warning may be called by any player in the group, or by an official. All players in the group shall be advised of the warning, and it shall be noted on the scorecard.

Last edited:
I salute Nikko for making a call when the situation called for it, especially on a teammate.

There are SO MANY conflicts of interest within our sport, it's insane. Players have to make calls on each other yet players are best friends, traveling partners, teammates, siblings, etc. The list goes on and on and on.

I would bet the number of calls not made because of those situations but should have been are 500 to 1 to ones that were.

Last edited:
I would bet the number of calls not made because of those situations but should have been are 500 to 1 to ones that were.

There's a DG Monthly with Anthon where he CLEARLY steps on his disc/mini on a second/third throw. He parks the shot, but no call was made. The commentators mentioned it.

On the other hand, the first final 9 I watched with touring pros, I was impressed with how much the rules were enforced. It didn't seem to phase anybody like Nikko's call did GG either.

I'd say you're either close or underestimating.

Last edited:
I salute Nikko for making a call when the situation called for it, especially on a teammate.

There are SO MANY conflicts of interest within our sport, it's insane. Players have to make calls on each other yet players are best friends, traveling partners, teammates, siblings, etc. The list goes on and on and on.

....and then there's this
http://youtu.be/RJo5ah2TJzg?t=15m47s

When I first saw the video I noticed that it looked like a foot fault before it even showed Nikko call it. Good for Nikko for upholding the rules.. I don't see any reason to assume improper motives. It was a FF...

This is why disc golf will never be a true professional sport. Rules need to be followed and called. Who cares if Nikko was upset or trying to get one up on him, it's the RULES and he made a perfectly good call.

Who's to say that is what GG was even upset about, if at all? Anything could have happened prior to the round, or during that isn't on the video.

Rules should be enforced, and GG's foot fault was pretty obvious. To the person who said that Nikko is crazy for watching people's feet: 1) there is a decent chunk of money involved here and 2) have you really never seen anybody foot fault? I see it all the time, because I'm paying attention to the game I'm playing. You don't watch when your friends are throwing? It's not hard to see.

Like Hammer said though, this might be much ado about nothing. GG was already having a pretty spotty round from what I can see and the foot fault was late enough in the round that it's obvious that he wasn't firing on all cylinders anyway. I'd hope there's no animosity for the call, because it's clearly legit.

If it was off by a tiny bit most of the time it will go unnoticed, but that was a pretty blatant foot fault. I'd be surprised if nobody would call it after seeing it. Nikko did the right thing. You can even tell by the tone of voice that Nikko didn't really want to bring it up, but rules are rules.

GG is a great athlete and while he may not have been happy with the call, I'm sure he accepted it. A foot fault is a foot fault, and it's not Nikko's fault that it happened. I'm pretty sure GG wasn't mad at Nikko for following the rules.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...until we have actual officials our pro tour will not be taken seriously outside of hardcore fans.

It was a foot fault FWIW, if you can't be solid in enforcing at a NT how can we harp on people for not enforcing at C-Tiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts