• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko - Innova's Star Team Member

You guys/gals make no sense.

The wizard does not go into the basket b/c nikko putts with them. This might actually make some of you realize it is the archer not the arrow. Nikko is a good putter and it has nothing to do with the disc in his hand.

You guys/gals make no sense.

The wizard does not go into the basket b/c nikko putts with them. This might actually make some of you realize it is the archer not the arrow. Nikko is a good putter and it has nothing to do with the disc in his hand.

That's the reason that slapping some guys name and his accomplishments on discs could be a valuable marketing tool. For the most part, all putters/discs are serviceable, so the primary things distinguishing two discs of a similar type, made by different companies, are what's stamped on the disc and how pretty it is.

I dont think it'll hurt Gateway's current market, but if a newer player is choosing a new putter, and all the top pro's throw Innova putters, dont you think that they're more likely to pick up an Aviar?
I know I wanted to try a Wizard because Nikko swore by them. And I also tried an Aviar because Feldberg swore by his.
Train of thought= If an amazing putter likes them, I just might too!

I dont think it'll hurt Gateway's current market, but if a newer player is choosing a new putter, and all the top pro's throw Innova putters, dont you think that they're more likely to pick up an Aviar?
I know I wanted to try a Wizard because Nikko swore by them. And I also tried an Aviar because Feldberg swore by his.

true, i wont use anything to putt with other than my jk aviars. although it took me 3 years and about 25 different putters to figure that out

Most new players don't look at the pros... Heck, most new players don't even know that there is such a thing as the PDGA... They go to their local sport store and by either a starter set, or just a regular ultimate frisbee.

Pffft. I tried Aviars---still don't like 'em. I depend on friends/casually-met players/DGCR for hints as to what discs I might give a fling. Someone who's a great putter can do things with discs I can't, so his disc choice isn't necessarily mine.
Right now using a P Ryhno, S Magic, RP Dart, DX XD and---er, umm....a Gumbputt. Because they work---for me.

Didn't Nikko throw Magics and not Wizards?

I believe he started out throwing wizards, then switched to putting with Magics due to their straighter flight. Someone said earlier said something along the lines of "nuh-uh nikko throws wizards!!" and I didn't really feel like correcting them. Arguing with people on forums makes me feel bad for myself, and the human race.

I believe he started out throwing wizards, then switched to putting with Magics due to their straighter flight. Someone said earlier said something along the lines of "nuh-uh nikko throws wizards!!" and I didn't really feel like correcting them. Arguing with people on forums makes me feel bad for myself, and the human race.

I believe he switched back to Wizards after the Magics, but I know he threw Magics a couple years ago when Gateway's red plastic was the best it's ever been (feel, grip, and firmness).

I don't see a calendar of the planned stops on your tour posted on your website yet. I realize it's still a work in progress, but do y'all have planWes to be in the Southeastern USA any time this year?

As we add events, we will do a better job of adding them to our calendar...
[Aurl]http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1274888#post1274888[/url]

I believe he switched back to Wizards after the Magics, but I know he threw Magics a couple years ago when Gateway's red plastic was the best it's ever been (feel, grip, and firmness).

Personally I think Gateway's Dark Blue plastic is the best plastic I've felt. Incredibly gummy and grippy, I have a stack of dark blue wizards and if I ever stop throwing MVP they'll be waiting for me.

Nikko is one of the most marketable players in the game, if the THE most. Gateway's sales will suffer as a result.

I think it's a really interesting situation. Gateway's owner, from what I understand, essentially raised Nikko. So his decision to leave was likely a very difficult one for him to make.
What's interesting to me is that Gateway allowed Nikko to throw pretty much any disc he wanted. They didn't even attempt to hide that his bag was filled with Innova/Discraft's discs.

So why change to Innova?
By doing so, he limits the discs he can use, and inevitably weakens his bag, (I'm not saying that a 100% Innova bag is a bad bag to have, but a mixed bag, hand picked tailored to your own game, is always going to be better.)
Could be a money issue. A Nikko signature disc from Innova will certainly sell better than a Nikko signature Gateway disc, just on the fact that Innova dominates the distribution channels, (do you see a lot of Elements and Illusions in Dick's Sporting Goods?"

More likely to me, however, is the psychological part of it. He goes from being essentially the sole, #1 athlete for a niche brand with poor marketing, poor quality control and crap mold designs, (again, only relative to Innova/Discraft, GDS makes some decent discs, but nothing compared to the big boys) to becoming one of the top athletes for the most recognizable brand in his sport.
I think it's interesting anyway.

Didn't see anyone else post this yet. From nldg.net, straight from the man himself:

After trying out new products in the off season and over looking my options I decided to go with Team Innova for 2012. This decision was nothing against any other disc golf company. Having a mixed bag had its ups and down but at the end of the day it was something that happened for a reason. Moving on from the past and keeping my mind set on the future is all I am focused on this year. I wanted to focus on disc golf full time this year without thinking about other things. This year is all about spreading my love for disc golf where ever I go. I feel focused on performance and health this year. Nonstopdiscgolf is the NEW CREW of top disc golfers traveling together this year. With the help from my friends and team members we are all about spreading disc golf in 2012. We are planning a series of tour stops where we will set up clinics and run tournaments. Having the chance to travel with some of the worlds best and constantly push each other to win will make us all better. I'm looking forward to competing and teaching disc golf this year. We recently had a clinic in Las Vegas at a high school. It was an awesome experience to teach disc golf. Many more opportunities await around every corner. Following my dream is an unbelievable feeling I'm learning more and more every day about soaking in the moments life has to offer on and off the disc golf course. I'm looking forward to see what awaits in the future for disc golf.