• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

seeking disc advise for my revamped backhand

Goldie

Hey,

So I'm a right hand forehand dominant player. Pretty much have only gone backhand if I had no choice. Got some good advice from a better player, reworked my backhand. Last weekend, I finally added a walk up again, and I saw great improvement. Plenty of you probably throw farther, but for a middle aged guy who only started a couple years ago, I'm happy.

Before now, my best backhand was about 225 with a Legacy Rival. Anything above speed 7 just faded hard. Here's my results...

Innova Beast (champion @ 170g). 240. maybe 250. straight & low. loved it, but was clearly the shortest of the drivers I tried. has been out of my bag for months.
Innova Tern (G Star @ 167). 250-260. hit one perfect, I measured at 275. too much turn, but fades back. been inconsistent with the forehand, but i've gone well over 300 when it's right.
Streamline Trace (plasma @ 172). feels a little too overstable for my backhand for now. still getting 250ish. been in & out, but I know it's a good disc.
Destroyer (G Star @ 159). a lot of potential, but clearly too much turn due to its weight. about 260ish. hadn't used it in months.
Legacy Outlaw (glow disc @ 175). too overstable for my backhand. still my current forehand driver of choice.

Definitely seeking suggestions on discs. Not gonna buy everything, but looking. I feel solid in my bag from speed 7 down. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can't bee of too much help here, but I recently started developing my backhand as well. I have always be RHFH dominant and never did backhand as I couldn't control it. Once I realized it was absolutely necessary, I started throwing backhand a TON with my Midrange discs to get comfortable. I did this while holding back on the power purely to focus on form.

From there, I began using my Streamline Trace which to date never had a secure place in my bag as I didn't throw it well. Now though, this is my absolute crusher for backhand throws as it just seems to fit. I agree it's slightly overstable, but it seems extremely consistent and reliable and I can just mold the shot to get what I want out of it. I would continue to develop on your fairway drivers and mids to establish form, then perhaps work a bit with that Trace. I probably couldn't break 250 when I started this process and am now well into the 300s with the Trace and my recently lost DD Enigma.

Destroyer is a big time disc that is built for a lot of power. My guess is you're doing more harm than good with this one in the bag. Beast has been a long standing great disc and shouldn't be out of your range once the form is there.

All a bit speculative as I'm no pro, just thought sharing. Best of luck.

Lat 64 Diamond, Westside Underworld, Discraft Sting, Discraft Avenger SS, Innova Roadrunner. Find a flight chart (below is the one from Marshall Street, not the only or best) and start to work in area. If they are turning over too much, move up in speed and stability. Collecting and learning plastic is part of the fun. As some buddies to throw some of their disc.

Lat 64 Diamond, Westside Underworld, Discraft Sting, Discraft Avenger SS, Innova Roadrunner. Find a flight chart (below is the one from Marshall Street, not the only or best) and start to work in area. If they are turning over too much, move up in speed and stability. Collecting and learning plastic is part of the fun. As some buddies to throw some of their disc.

Sorry forgot to include the link.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide

Can't bee of too much help here, but I recently started developing my backhand as well. I have always be RHFH dominant and never did backhand as I couldn't control it. Once I realized it was absolutely necessary, I started throwing backhand a TON with my Midrange discs to get comfortable. I did this while holding back on the power purely to focus on form.

From there, I began using my Streamline Trace which to date never had a secure place in my bag as I didn't throw it well. Now though, this is my absolute crusher for backhand throws as it just seems to fit. I agree it's slightly overstable, but it seems extremely consistent and reliable and I can just mold the shot to get what I want out of it. I would continue to develop on your fairway drivers and mids to establish form, then perhaps work a bit with that Trace. I probably couldn't break 250 when I started this process and am now well into the 300s with the Trace and my recently lost DD Enigma.

Destroyer is a big time disc that is built for a lot of power. My guess is you're doing more harm than good with this one in the bag. Beast has been a long standing great disc and shouldn't be out of your range once the form is there.

All a bit speculative as I'm no pro, just thought sharing. Best of luck.

gives me enough reason to try again with the Trace and the others. Thanks.

Latest posts