• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No! No! charge me more please.....

also something about PLH. I don't remember why that happens either, just that it does.

I've always had a hard time believing this is an issue or happens.

Why would the parting line be different, move to a different location when the same mold is used? Makes no sense.

It moves because the amount of plastic material in the disc is not uniformly distributed. This causes the disc to cool down at different rates at different points in the disc. This uneven cooling can pull the parting line up or down. As for why this shrinkage is happening differently from run to run can be because of many variables. For example, the exact blend of chemicals used in the discs might be different (weighting agent, coloring agent, slight variations in the material delivered from the supplier etc) or it can be because of a slightly different production process (lets say Innova needs to produce a new run of Destroyers for some tournament, they are in a time crunch so they decide to reduce the amount of time the disc sits and cool down in the machine compared to their normal runs)

Last edited:
ahhh yes... the actual line doesn't move exactly, but the disc can dome or flatten causing the line to warp (word choice?) in relationship to the two halves...

that was a bad explanation... oi

FTFY

ahhh yes... the actual line doesn't move exactly, but the disc can dome or flatten causing the line to warp (word choice?) in relationship to the two halves...

...move up (if the disc flattens after it comes out if the mold)
...or down (if the disc domes after it comes out of the mold.)

...but Noill had the right concept.

I've always had a hard time believing this is an issue or happens.

Why would the parting line be different, move to a different location when the same mold is used? Makes no sense.

It has to do with the ambient conditions (e.g. temp, humidity, etc) when the disc cools after it's removed from the mold. Moreover, changes in those conditions don't affect all polymers the same.

It has to do with the ambient conditions (e.g. temp, humidity, etc) when the disc cools after it's removed from the mold. Moreover, changes in those conditions don't affect all polymers the same.

Thanks. This I understand but never thought of that or had it explained like this before.

Sometimes you have to :wall: to get it thru to me. :| :p

You brought up golf earlier. I was referring to a golfer with a golf club. Golf, which is a more precise game, it is common to change clubs every year or two. Manufacturers don't produce the same clubs, or balls for that matter, over the course of multiple years.

If really wanted to compare to ball golf (highly doubt you were lol) then you'd look at grip and shaft of the club for stability. Very easy to make identical grips and shafts on new clubs, or even use same ones. Also important to realize WHY ball golfers NEED to change out clubs. Several reasons. One is when there's damage to the head, they're deemed as dangerous (pros hit the ball extremely hard, fyi. It causes wear). Just depends on preference (like disc golf) but the constant still remains that they're searching for a standard that they can REPEAT. Vijay Singh waits several years until the grooves have completely faded before he gets new irons. He's trying to repeat the same exact motions over and over with same equipment, producing predictable results over long period of time. And if the pro wants the exact same clubs he currently uses in brand new condition, guess what? His sponsor can make that happen....

I'm aware of the variables in disc production and how it can slightly affect the outcome of the final disc product. That's why I said that if ALL variables remained the same on 2 discs, they would fly the same. Because the mold is the same. That's just scientific fact that Noiiii was arguing against.... lol

Both forms of golf are precise and rely on stability and repetition and that was my point. Still not sure what yours was or if you even had one. Kinda like you claiming that $20 is just the standard price for a McBeth sig disc, while not grasping that the Luna is a brand new putter mold that doesn't even have Paul's name anywhere on the production mold. So technically, it's not "$20 for a Paul disc." It's $20 for a putter that Paul uses for now. Its quite possibly the least durable plastic/rubber ever put on a disc. Makes sense why he was giving them away...

Golfers aren't as different as some of you think. Just like disc golfers, there are all kinds. Some guys have the same old clubs they've been hitting for years. Some guys are constantly tinkering major parts of their bag all the time. Just like here, there are forums for golf gear freaks where people are in a never ending cycle of chasing the perfect club setup. It's even true for the pros.

Yeah I probably wouldn't call ball golf "more precise" either. I mean I get it, it's a small white ball. That doesn't mean it's more precise though. Also inaccurate to act like ball golfers are always changing their bags. But.... pretty sure that guy (and others) were just arguing for the sake of arguing lol

They must've listened to nomad's knowledge bombs he dropped all over the other day.

And the price has fallen into line, Marshall Street has dropped the price on the 5X and the PP putter to 15.99.

They can sit on those Paige discs for months or they can actually sell them and keep it moving. If your local disc shop is charging $20, they aren't your friend LOL

Side note: Discraft is going to need more than a couple names to carry their brand. if you're selling purple and green putters with pink stamps for $20+, you're out of touch. No way around it.

Last edited:

Latest posts